Scotland name squad

7 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

So because he jumps ship to a complete shambles of a football club in the English championship suddenly makes him better than McKenna. He plays in a defence who on average concede at least a goal a game. Just remember Aberdeen were knocking back bids for McKenna from far bigger clubs than Barnsley in January.

No but he has played a season longer in the SPFL than McKenna I think and is now playing at a higher level than him. He was also linked with Brighton in January for about 6 million.

McKenna could well go on to be a better player than Lindsay but right now Lindsays CV has a fair bit more on it.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

We already have two left footed centre halves in the squad with Mulgrew and McKenna and this was mentioned as the reason to why Berra and Lindsay weren't included.

I know this has been mentioned by McFadden but I honestly can't help but think it's a pile of shite. You never hear folk saying "we've too many right footers in the team", why are left footers deemed unable to do the job of a right footer? If we had two right footed centre halves playing, would we hear any complaints at all?

These guys are professional footballers and play it every day, they should be competent with both feet, if they aren't then I'd argue they shouldn't be in the National squad.

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know this has been mentioned by McFadden but I honestly can't help but think it's a pile of shite. You never hear folk saying "we've too many right footers in the team", why are left footers deemed unable to do the job of a right footer? If we had two right footed centre halves playing, would we hear any complaints at all?

These guys are professional footballers and play it every day, they should be competent with both feet, if they aren't then I'd argue they shouldn't be in the National squad.

Right footed players are more used to being shoe-horned into left-side roles than vice versa.

27 minutes ago, gannonball said:

No but he has played a season longer in the SPFL than McKenna I think and is now playing at a higher level than him. He was also linked with Brighton in January for about 6 million.

McKenna could well go on to be a better player than Lindsay but right now Lindsays CV has a fair bit more on it.

You really think his CV has that much more? Lindsay hasn't played in any youth teams for Scotland and McKenna has been part of them for several years now. He also turned in an impressive display against Holland Under 21s in the victory. He has now established himself as one of the top players for a big club in Scotland. Aberdeen would wipe the floor with Barnsley lets no kid ourselves on here as would any of our top six sides.  To say he is playing at a higher level getting beat by the likes of Milwall and Burton Albion is laughable.  McKenna could have easily pushed for a move to Hull or Aston Villa when they came calling in January but he didn't. Nobody in here is watching Lindsay play week in week out for Barnsley to make judgement that he is better than McKenna. The manager and coaching staff will have watched both players and made there decision.

If anything I hope this encourages our younger players to not make silly moves to crap English teams just for some extra cash. Lindsay could have went to Aberdeen in the summer for albeit a lesser wage but proven himself at a bigger club challenging for trophies and nearer the top end of a league.  I really hope Lindsay is as good as a lot of folk on here are saying but what bugs me is fans suddenly saying players should be picked based on there CV which is something a lot of fans have moaned about for years.

1 minute ago, JamesM82 said:

Right footed players are more used to being shoe-horned into left-side roles than vice versa.

My argument here is that playing in centre defence isn't a left or right sided role though and having two right footed centre halves never brings any comments but as soon as we have two left footed ones it's apparently a problem. 

I don't really agree with your above statement either, left footed wingers are regularly deployed on the right and the other way about, some of them are tremendous at it too.  We play Snodgrass on the right, Bannan too, Tierney at right back. I just don't understand why left footers are deemed less versatile.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

My argument here is that playing in centre defence isn't a left or right sided role though and having two right footed centre halves never brings any comments but as soon as we have two left footed ones it's apparently a problem. 

I don't really agree with your above statement either, left footed wingers are regularly deployed on the right and the other way about, some of them are tremendous at it too.  We play Snodgrass on the right, Bannan too, Tierney at right back. I just don't understand why left footers are deemed less versatile.

It's more of a problem in central defence because it affects the angle that the forward attacks you from. As you say, wingers switch around all the time and some prefer being able to cut inside and shoot from ~25 yards.

To clarify, it's not such a big problem that if we had (say) two top-class left footed centre backs and no good right-footed ones, we would of course still use the two top-class left-foot players and one of them would just have to make adjustments. But you're splitting hairs when talking about the difference between Liam Lindsay and Jack Hendry. 

2 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

You really think his CV has that much more? Lindsay hasn't played in any youth teams for Scotland and McKenna has been part of them for several years now. He also turned in an impressive display against Holland Under 21s in the victory. He has now established himself as one of the top players for a big club in Scotland. Aberdeen would wipe the floor with Barnsley lets no kid ourselves on here as would any of our top six sides.  To say he is playing at a higher level getting beat by the likes of Milwall and Burton Albion is laughable.  McKenna could have easily pushed for a move to Hull or Aston Villa when they came calling in January but he didn't. Nobody in here is watching Lindsay play week in week out for Barnsley to make judgement that he is better than McKenna. The manager and coaching staff will have watched both players and made there decision.

If anything I hope this encourages our younger players to not make silly moves to crap English teams just for some extra cash. Lindsay could have went to Aberdeen in the summer for albeit a lesser wage but proven himself at a bigger club challenging for trophies and nearer the top end of a league.  I really hope Lindsay is as good as a lot of folk on here are saying but what bugs me is fans suddenly saying players should be picked based on there CV which is something a lot of fans have moaned about for years.

The English championship is a higher level than the SPFL, I didn't even realise this was even a debate really.  The SPFL is in between league 1 and the championship for me.

Also regarding doing well for youth levels, As good as McKenna has done the fact Lindsay hasnt had look in shows the incompetency of the youth selectors. Again this isnt really up for debate given how shite Scotland have been of late at youth level and the coaches getting swapped about instead of binned.

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

The English championship is a higher level than the SPFL, I didn't even realise this was even a debate really.  The SPFL is in between league 1 and the championship for me.

Also regarding doing well for youth levels, As good as McKenna has done the fact Lindsay hasnt had look in shows the incompetency of the youth selectors. Again this isnt really up for debate given how shite Scotland have been of late at youth level and the coaches getting swapped about instead of binned.

Its another debate entirely but if you genuinely think its a higher level is laughable. You clearly buy in to the media hype and don't watch the dross that goes on in that league. A side from a couple of teams the standard is absolutely rank rotten. Its a completely different game down their to up here and tbh isn't actually comparable in terms of standard.

Our youth sides are actually doing pretty well across the age groups and have been for the last few years so again it shows your complete lack knowledge on the subject. Were not winning world cups no but were competing against top sides regularly at every age group.

3 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

Its another debate entirely but if you genuinely think its a higher level is laughable. You clearly buy in to the media hype and don't watch the dross that goes on in that league. A side from a couple of teams the standard is absolutely rank rotten. Its a completely different game down their to up here and tbh isn't actually comparable in terms of standard.

Our youth sides are actually doing pretty well across the age groups and have been for the last few years so again it shows your complete lack knowledge on the subject. Were not winning world cups no but were competing against top sides regularly at every age group.

The under 21s havent qualfied for the European championships this millenium, given it takes place every two years that is pretty fucking shocking, especially when you look at Scotlands record in where they have reached the semi finals a few times before.The u20s have qualified for the past 5 world cups either. Please stop.

The under 21s havent qualfied for the European championships this millenium, given it takes place every two years that is pretty fucking shocking, especially when you look at Scotlands record in where they have reached the semi finals a few times before.The u20s have qualified for the past 5 world cups either. Please stop.

Do you know the number of teams that do qualify for these tournaments?

17 minutes ago, ekfootball said:

I went to watch Newcastle in the Championship regularly last season. The Championship is quite clearly a higher standard than the Scottish Premiership. While Celtic would do well in the Championship, I think Gannonball is being optimistic when he claims the SPFL Premiership is between League 1 and Championship standard. There are Scottish Premiership sides that would struggle in League 2. As for the Scottish Championship :lol:

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Tbf its brought up a lot when playing with three centre halves

7 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

I went to watch Newcastle in the Championship regularly last season. The Championship is quite clearly a higher standard than the Scottish Premiership. While Celtic would do well in the Championship, I think Gannonball is being optimistic when he claims the SPFL Premiership is between League 1 and Championship standard. There are Scottish Premiership sides that would struggle in League 2. As for the Scottish Championship :lol:

Tbf Sunderland are probably between Championship and League One standard down there, and they're the worst team I've seen this season 

3 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

You are probably right with me being optimistic. Like I said I didnt even think there was any really debate to the championship being higher than Scottish football. The fact the other poster thought it was ‘laughable’ to think the Championship is higher shows the man is somewhat deluded. 

2 minutes ago, gannonball said:

You are probably right with me being optimistic. Like I said I didnt even think there was any really debate to the championship being higher than Scottish football. The fact the other poster thought it was ‘laughable’ to think the Championship is higher shows the man is somewhat deluded. 

Preston, Sheff Utd and Milwall all in the top ten of the league makes it a laughable statement. As I said its hard to compare the two because there is a vast contrast in ability between 3/4 teams in that league to the rest of the 20 teams.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf Sunderland are probably between Championship and League One standard down there, and they're the worst team I've seen this season 

Tbf you're basing that off a pre season game. A bit like Lincoln Red Imps saying Celtic are a bit shite after 1 game in which Celtic would've classed it as a pre season game. 

I watch a good bit of the championship following Brentford and I reckon they would finish second in our Premiership, the standard is simply far better. 

Just now, Grant228 said:

Tbf you're basing that off a pre season game. A bit like Lincoln Red Imps saying Celtic are a bit shite after 1 game in which Celtic would've classed it as a pre season game. 

I watch a good bit of the championship following Brentford and I reckon they would finish second in our Premiership, the standard is simply far better. 

How else are we meant to compare teams, surely games against each other are the best way? 

Championship down there is hugely over rated, top half of teams are clearly class due to the money involved, but the bottom half is pretty dreadful. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

How else are we meant to compare teams, surely games against each other are the best way? 

Championship down there is hugely over rated, top half of teams are clearly class due to the money involved, but the bottom half is pretty dreadful. 

The best way would be to compare teams in competitive action, there's absolutely no chance you can be serious with trying to compare teams based on a pre season game. 

It's over rated certainly but it's still a higher standard, the bottom half still has plenty money and is by and large still a better standard with a better quality of football. There's absolutely no reason why the majority of the clubs in the Premiership should think they're on a similar level to clubs in the championship, the money and resources is miles above what we have up here. 

Money is a massive equaliser.  I'd imagine if a few Scottish clubs were dropped into one of the more monied English leagues, and given immunity while they built up the same financial cushion that a lot of clubs enjoy, then they'd probably be competitive too.  I've always thought that the two cheeks could very well be competitive in the Premier League down South, but only if they managed to survive the very lean periods where they were minnows in a shark tank.  If they could stick around until the money started to take effect, there's no reason why they couldn't compete. 

Pie in the sky stuff, of course, as none of it will ever happen, but basically the game is purely about money now.

Archived