Scotland name squad

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but Martin has been chosen because he can play right back. 

The likes of McLean, Christie and Cummings have been called up because they were major players for the U21s, and making sure players in the U21s know the senior manager will reward any progress made there is hugely important in the day's where other countries are stealing all and sundry off each other. 

32 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Paterson is playing like the second coming of Patrick Vieira in midfield and people want to shunt him to right back? I'd rather stick a full back in there, whether it's Tierney or someone else.

Watched them last night and he sort of just thundered about behind a front man with two disciplined midfielders behind him. I'd think you'd lose something from the likes of McGinn and Armstrong if you stuck Paterson in there, he was regularly letting players run by him as he was constantly moving forward early anticipating a counter. 

Watched them last night and he sort of just thundered about behind a front man with two disciplined midfielders behind him. I'd think you'd lose something from the likes of McGinn and Armstrong if you stuck Paterson in there, he was regularly letting players run by him as he was constantly moving forward early anticipating a counter. 

Completely agree with you here.

12 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Paterson is playing like the second coming of Patrick Vieira in midfield and people want to shunt him to right back? I'd rather stick a full back in there, whether it's Tierney or someone else.

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Got to agree with Marshmallo.  If we're sticking with a 4-5-1 then playing Paterson behind the striker with say McTominay and McGregor behind him in midfield would suit me. We aren't short on disciplined midfielders (Fletcher, McArthur, McGeoch, McGinn could all be considered for that role too), if we have a player in form and scoring goals I don't see why he should be forced into defence. We've got 3 full backs in the team, use one of them at full back.

Guest DAVIDB69
Not overly bothered but would have liked Darren Fletcher to be in there as his experience could be invaluable for the younger midfield players.

Strange that Russel Martin is there.

I think it’s time to move on from Darren fletcher and his pointing

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A lower level, I know, but McGinn's been playing well in a midfield three with, in my opinion, two more attacking players. The back three behind them does help though.

I've not seen much of Paterson for Cardiff but I'd be surprised if he's technical enough to play in midfield at international level. I know he's scored a lot of goals there but he did that at full back as well - he's a machine.

I'd say his best position is probably wing-back. It makes best use of his attributes without giving him quite as much defensive responsibility. The idea of him on one side and Robertson on the other, with Tierney playing on the left of a back three, is an appealing one to me and is probably worth a try at some point in these games.

On 12/03/2018 at 13:42, LiviLion said:

Also imagine there'll be a couple drop outs depending on how league tables are looking in a week or so, so still a chance for a call up for those who missed out. 

Looks like Tierney might be ruled out for the friendlies, so a chance for Souttar/Lindsay to get a call up.

f**k having Patterson play in behind the striker when there’s guys like Callum McGregor and Stuart Armstrong in the squad. Should be McGregor every single time for me anyway the guy is class. Now Tierney is out id go;

Keeper

Hendry
Hanley
Mulgrew
Robertson

Armstrong
McTominay

Forrest
McGregor
Fraser

McBurnie

No issue with Hendry being called up - I think he's a really talented defender, looks nice and calm on the ball and can play it out from the back well.  Slightly surprised another right-back hasn't been called up - with Tierney and Martin both out, there's no real cover for that position now.  If we play a back four, Paterson is our only option, and if we play a back three then it can only be him or Forrest.

Playing 352 / 532 absolutely suits us.   It allows us to use three CM an area of strength and wing backs positions suit Robertson and Forrest/ Paterson.    

Junk wingers like Phillips and Ritchie will hopefully find it even harder to get into the side. 

Everyone losing it over Hendry because he plays for Celtic does my nut in. He wasn’t even picked to start with ffs whilst centre halves from Aberdeen, Blackburn, Norwich and Rangers were. Hanlon has no future in the national team and is ridiculously overrated by Hibs fans, Souttar is with the under 21s and whilst I agree Lindsay should maybe feel annoyed or called up he hasn’t been. I’m sure like myself 99 percent of the people who want him in the squad over Hendry haven’t even actually seen him play this season.

ETA: well known Celtic lover as the manager too, clearly biased

Archived