Scotland name squad

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

That's a shame, I feel like we need an experienced centre-back to play alongside one (or two) of the younger guys and talk them through it.  I guess Mulgrew can do the same job, but Berra is more of a leader.

Yeah I feel we should have one 'old hand' CB and a few new bloods. Berra ticks all the boxes for the former category, especially given one of the latter is likely to be his club mate John Souttar.

13 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Seems daft trying to re-invent the wheel when we finished the last campaign so well. We barely get any games to let players gel, I'd play as close to the first choice XI as possible. We're struggling for reliable CBs and struggle for strikers, no need to shove loads of them in the same team.

McGregor

Tierney Mulgrew Berra Robertson

Forrest McTominay Cairney McArthur Snodgrass

Phillips

Every player in that XI is playing week in week out for a decent team, with the exception of Mulgrew and Berra. Berra should be on the POTY shortlist up here, and Mulgrew is in a Blackburn team at the top end of  League One. Souttar, McKenna, Hendry etc are all weaker than those two. Liam Lindsay is an option I'd consider next to Berra.

If McGinn is the answer, I don't want to know the question. Armstrong and McGregor should be options when fit. Snodgrass would drift inside to create space for Roberston to get forward. He's been the standout player in a very good Villa team who will get promoted this season.

I'd give McBurnie a look off the bench. 

Lewis Morgan would be a laughable selection.

Come on - after his feeble performance up front vs Holland and virtual no-show on the wing for 3.5 games before that?

If we're playing 1 striker, let's actually use a striker. Not saying Phillips should be jettisoned by any means, but starting him again up front just seems futile.

FWIW I'd like to see us try the 352 

17 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I think there's a balance to be found when blooding new players in. Giving two players their debut, one of which has had a solid season whilst next to Berra guiding him, the other that has played well when in the Dons team but was hardly setting the heather alight at Ayr last year, next to a 20 year old who has big game experience but is being asked to play out of position again. Costa Rica aren't a Gibraltar, and for me it's a gamble for the young lads confidence at international level if at least two of the three have a stinker.

That's pish.  But lots of people think similarly tbf.  Pish though imo.

Seems daft trying to re-invent the wheel when we finished the last campaign so well. We barely get any games to let players gel, I'd play as close to the first choice XI as possible. We're struggling for reliable CBs and struggle for strikers, no need to shove loads of them in the same team.

McGregor

Tierney Mulgrew Berra Robertson

Forrest McTominay Cairney McArthur Snodgrass

Phillips

Every player in that XI is playing week in week out for a decent team, with the exception of Mulgrew and Berra. Berra should be on the POTY shortlist up here, and Mulgrew is in a Blackburn team at the top end of  League One. Souttar, McKenna, Hendry etc are all weaker than those two. Liam Lindsay is an option I'd consider next to Berra.
If McGinn is the answer, I don't want to know the question. Armstrong and McGregor should be options when fit. Snodgrass would drift inside to create space for Roberston to get forward. He's been the standout player in a very good Villa team who will get promoted this season.
I'd give McBurnie a look off the bench. 
Lewis Morgan would be a laughable selection.

After watching Phillips up front v the Netherlands, it's safe to say he's not a striker whatsoever.

While I wouldn't make sweeping changes, we also tanked in the secome half of the Euros 2016 qualifiers because we didn't make sufficient changes to an older team. Some change is necessary for the next two years.

41 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

After watching Phillips up front v the Netherlands, it's safe to say he's not a striker whatsoever.

While I wouldn't make sweeping changes, we also tanked in the secome half of the Euros 2016 qualifiers because we didn't make sufficient changes to an older team. Some change is necessary for the next two years.

The average outfield age of the team I posted is 27.

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The average outfield age of the team I posted is 27.

Aye but mulgrew and Berra are about 45, mulgrew isn't a CB and we have no competitive games for 7 months.  Realistically now is the time to jettison both.  Hanley should be the senior CB in the squad now, maybe with Caulker soon.

19 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I think there's a balance to be found when blooding new players in. Giving two players their debut, one of which has had a solid season whilst next to Berra guiding him, the other that has played well when in the Dons team but was hardly setting the heather alight at Ayr last year, next to a 20 year old who has big game experience but is being asked to play out of position again. Costa Rica aren't a Gibraltar, and for me it's a gamble for the young lads confidence at international level if at least two of the three have a stinker.

Did you watch a lot of Ayr Utd last year? McKenna has attracted bids from Hull and serious interest from Aston Villa. McKenna and Souttar have both been very good this season and I have saw a lot of both players. They were class in the win against Holland for the under 21s up against a striker who has around 60 games under his belt for PSV and other experienced forward players. I am not saying they should both automatically start but they are certainly the future of the national team along with Liam Lindsay and Jack Hendry.

Did you watch a lot of Ayr Utd last year? McKenna has attracted bids from Hull and serious interest from Aston Villa. McKenna and Souttar have both been very good this season and I have saw a lot of both players. They were class in the win against Holland for the under 21s up against a striker who has around 60 games under his belt for PSV and other experienced forward players. I am not saying they should both automatically start but they are certainly the future of the national team along with Liam Lindsay and Jack Hendry.

He was atrocious for Ayr tbf, he has admitted that himself. Not relevant now though, hope he keeps improving.

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What can he possibly not know that he would 'learn' from another bigot fest?

Whether David Bates can cope with decent strikers? 

I haven't seen much of Jack Henry. What's he shown that makes him part of the future of the national team?

I haven't seen much of Jack Henry. What's he shown that makes him part of the future of the national team?

He looks a good ball playing centre half. He needs to bulk up a bit which is the main reason it didn’t work out in England for him but hopefully he will get brought on more at Celtic now.

He looks a good ball playing centre half. He needs to bulk up a bit which is the main reason it didn’t work out in England for him but hopefully he will get brought on more at Celtic now.

Fair one, hopefully he does come good. Starting to look like we have some decent centre halfs coming through. Could do with some striking prospects though.

4 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Monday, which makes sense, let's him take in the OF on Sunday and assess any potential new call ups from them.

He can get to 3 Scottish games this weekend, or even 2 and take a trip down to England tomorrow.  He's at Easter Road tonight.

I wouldn't select him right now anyway. The likes of Lindsay and Souttar have been playing consistently at a decent enough level for past few years where as Hendry was floating between league 1 and 2 teams on loan down south before this season.

He can get to 3 Scottish games this weekend, or even 2 and take a trip down to England tomorrow.  He's at Easter Road tonight.

Indeed. My personal preference would be towards 2 Scottish games and one down the road. Fulham are at Preston so chance to watch Cairney and McDonald there for example.

Archived