Scotland name squad

I’ve tried to put a squad together but always forget someone. Harsh as out that Douglas probably going to miss out when he’s been immense but way it is

He’s also 28. Not saying that’s too old but when you have tierney & robertson as first choices we would be as well including younger guys as back up.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can Douglas not play RB???
Tierney has been played there and been ok but not great, if we're going with a back 5 to accommodate both KT and AR (which I agree with btw) why not give Douglas a go as well and see if he can play there!!!

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

A starting line-up like this would be intriguing. 

-First caps for McLaughlin, O'Donnell and Lindsay who are having great seasons, and McBurnie who is in good form.

-Trying a back five to accommodate Tierney and Robertson in the same team.

-Having a look at Paterson in midfield.

-Getting Cairney into the team.

McLaughlin

O'Donnell - Berra - Lindsay - Tierney - Robertson

Paterson - McGinn - Cairney

Griffiths - McBurnie

Edit: Forgot about McTominay, could make a good case for him starting too.

O'Donnell? Interesting choice.

Surely playing wing backs would benefit us as it would allow us to play both Tierney and Robertson while also giving Paterson more room to attack while having an extra centre back covering him. Maybe something like

Mclaughlin

Paterson

Souttar
McKenna
Tierney

Robertson

McGinn
McTominay
Cairney

McBurnie
Griffiths

1 hour ago, Senor Bairn said:

Surely playing wing backs would benefit us as it would allow us to play both Tierney and Robertson while also giving Paterson more room to attack while having an extra centre back covering him. Maybe something like

Mclaughlin

Paterson

Souttar
McKenna
Tierney

Robertson

McGinn
McTominay
Cairney

McBurnie
Griffiths

I think this is definitely worth a try

What difference does it make to anyone?

It makes a lot of sense to me. Less time for demoralising pull outs and gives him a chance to gauge Rangers players against the best side in Scotland. Can't see any advantage in naming it early.

3 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Mclaughlin

Paterson

Souttar
McKenna
Tierney

Robertson

McGinn
McTominay
Cairney

McBurnie
Griffiths

That would be my team for these friendlies, although not too sure about the keeper.

3 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

For a friendly against Costa Rica?  Where's the gamble?

I think there's a balance to be found when blooding new players in. Giving two players their debut, one of which has had a solid season whilst next to Berra guiding him, the other that has played well when in the Dons team but was hardly setting the heather alight at Ayr last year, next to a 20 year old who has big game experience but is being asked to play out of position again. Costa Rica aren't a Gibraltar, and for me it's a gamble for the young lads confidence at international level if at least two of the three have a stinker.

Berra is apparently going to be left out of the squad. Makes sense, we know what he’s all about.

Archer should start at least one match. He’s the future in goal.

I don't see why you wouldn't play that back three in a friendly, if they keep up their progress then we're going to have to play it at some point. 

Seems daft trying to re-invent the wheel when we finished the last campaign so well. We barely get any games to let players gel, I'd play as close to the first choice XI as possible. We're struggling for reliable CBs and struggle for strikers, no need to shove loads of them in the same team.

McGregor

Tierney Mulgrew Berra Robertson

Forrest McTominay Cairney McArthur Snodgrass

Phillips

Every player in that XI is playing week in week out for a decent team, with the exception of Mulgrew and Berra. Berra should be on the POTY shortlist up here, and Mulgrew is in a Blackburn team at the top end of  League One. Souttar, McKenna, Hendry etc are all weaker than those two. Liam Lindsay is an option I'd consider next to Berra.

If McGinn is the answer, I don't want to know the question. Armstrong and McGregor should be options when fit. Snodgrass would drift inside to create space for Roberston to get forward. He's been the standout player in a very good Villa team who will get promoted this season.

I'd give McBurnie a look off the bench. 

Lewis Morgan would be a laughable selection.

3 hours ago, Paco said:

Berra is apparently going to be left out of the squad. Makes sense, we know what he’s all about.

That's a shame, I feel like we need an experienced centre-back to play alongside one (or two) of the younger guys and talk them through it.  I guess Mulgrew can do the same job, but Berra is more of a leader.

I'd probably be going;

Mclaughlin

Souttar
Berra
Tierney

Forrest
McTominay
McGinn
Macgregor
Robertson

McBurnie
Griffiths

Not sure how Forrest has played in that role when Celtic have played a 3-5-2 but I think he could do well.

Archived