The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

4 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

There's like a bazillion new "apartments" for rent at Stoneywood, within walking distance of the conference centre. Can't remember the name but I pass it on the way home will put updetails later

actually...https://www.dandara.com/apartments-rent-aberdeen

More of a work and go to bed thing i am looking for as its a lot of hours. Basically a cheap room I’m wanting. Thanks

Just now, Thistle4eva said:

More of a work and go to bed thing i am looking for as its a lot of hours. Basically a cheap room I’m wanting. Thanks

Ah, righto

There's a plethora, an honest to God plethora, of guest houses in Bucksburn, Stoneywood and Dyce.

On 01/06/2018 at 14:19, Thistle4eva said:

Serious question here .. Any of you guys know where I can get decent accommodation near the new conference centre ? Been offered decent money for work there ?

Any input would be great. 

Cheers

Hallmark hotel, looks grim outside but decent & huge rooms - about £40 a night

Edited by red23

Why didn’t Aberdeen think outside the box a bit- have a bigger capacity between 25 to 30000, have a safe standing red wall behind a goal etc?

i know average crowds are under 20,000 but if you build it, they will come!

There’s a huge potential support to really tap into .

3 hours ago, standman said:

Why didn’t Aberdeen think outside the box a bit- have a bigger capacity between 25 to 30000, have a safe standing red wall behind a goal etc?

There’s a huge potential support to really tap into .

Utter pish

Utter pish

It’s not the worst idea.

Scotland is crying out for a 30k seater stadium
To host lesser internationals and certain semi final fixtures.

Hampden has proved itself for the big occasion but anything beyond that it is a soulless dump.

A New dons stadium could make a brilliant difference in this regard. I’m not naive, I know it’s not a silver bullet to rectify all the current ills of Scottish football but it may be a start.

It's a shite idea. Aberdeen is never going to host cup semi finals unless Peterhead and Elgin get drawn together.  Yes it means more folk could go along to Scotland internationals, but surely Aberdeen games and their fans are the priority.

There are enough grounds in Scotland that are less than half full every week. If Aberdeen are successful and they manage to attract 19,000 season ticket holders then brilliant, reduce the away allocation down to 500 and let the old firm have a proper taste of being away from home with hardly any backing.

Grounds should be built to provide a good atmosphere and experience for those that go there on a regular basis, not for those who want to attend only the big exciting fixtures. If it mean something some glory hunters miss out so be it, might encourage them to buy season tickets or go along more regularly to have more chance of getting tickets for big games.

Still think it's a daft move for Aberdeen, but have to say the capacity and design of the ground seem spot on if they do go through with it.

19 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s not the worst idea.

Scotland is crying out for a 30k seater stadium
To host lesser internationals and certain semi final fixtures.

Hampden has proved itself for the big occasion but anything beyond that it is a soulless dump.

A New dons stadium could make a brilliant difference in this regard. I’m not naive, I know it’s not a silver bullet to rectify all the current ills of Scottish football but it may be a start.

Agree with that Scotland could be doing with a 30 k capactiy stadium and Hampden being souless. The only issue is Aberdeens being far away from the majority of the popluation (central belt). You could argue more from the north go to Scotland games as a whole, be interesting to see how much of the TA membership is in the north actually.

Countless examples prove otherwise! 20K seems a bit much for Aberdeen to me. Would have been better setting capacity at maybe 15K but having the option to increase. Half full (or less) stadiums are shite, ours included.

8 hours ago, Enigma said:

Countless examples prove otherwise! 20K seems a bit much for Aberdeen to me. Would have been better setting capacity at maybe 15K but having the option to increase. Half full (or less) stadiums are shite, ours included.

Not this argument again...

Our average attendance this season was 15,775.  If we only had a capacity of 15k, we would have missed out on 28863 attendees over the season, amounting to a loss of around £650k in revenue (assuming average ticket price of £22). At last announcement our season ticket sales were up 38% on last season.

Can we please put this notion of a reduced capacity to bed once-and-for-all.

• 4 weeks later...

20180703_Kingsford_Ground_Breaking_011-1024x683.jpg

https://www.afc.co.uk/2018/07/03/new-training-facilities-becomes-a-reality/

Aberdeen Football Club’s Dream of New Training Facilities Becomes Reality as Construction Kicks off at Kingsford

Aberdeen Football Club today (Tuesday, July 3) celebrated breaking ground on phase one of its ambitious plans for a multimillion pound Community Hub, Professional Training Campus and Youth Development Academy.

Construction of the new facilities got underway today when AFC manager, Derek McInnes, AFC Community Trust chief executive, Ally Prockter, and Lord Provost, Barney Crockett put the first spades in the ground.

The first phase of the £50million development will include the construction of the training pavilion, groundsman’s accommodation, three professional training pitches, two 3G pitches and two grass pitches, the latter being mainly for use by Aberdeen Football Club’s Community Trust.

Aberdeen-based McIntosh Plant Hire now has the greenlight to begin the initial earthworks and ground remediation in preparation for the building works, which are due to commence in October 2018.

The community sports hub and football training facilities will be completed in Summer 2019.

AFC Manager Derek McInnes said: “This is a hugely significant milestone for the Club as we embark on building long-awaited, best-in-class training facilities.

“Since I took on the role of manager at AFC I have been campaigning for better facilities so there’s a huge sense of relief and excitement today to see work beginning on-site.

“Dedicated, purpose-built facilities, adjacent to our new stadium, will be a major boost for the players and the coaching staff. They will help us attract and retain talent as well as providing an excellent base for community engagement and footballing excellence in the north of Scotland that will inspire future generations.”

With AFC now the official owner of the 25-hectare site at Kingsford, the club will begin consulting with Westhill and Elrick and Kingswells Community Councils and representatives from local sports groups to discuss the best use of the facilities.

The wider community benefits at the new complex will be delivered by the award-winning Aberdeen FC Community Trust (AFCCT), the club’s official charity partner established in 2014 to provide support and the opportunity to change lives for the better throughout the North-east.

The charity engages with more than 17,000 participants each year across 60 programmes and initiatives, with volunteers from the organisation delivering more than 5,000 hours of free community support in their spare time.

Ally Prockter, Aberdeen FC Community Trust’s chief executive said: “These purpose-built facilities will help us support more individuals in communities and reach even more participants of all ages and from different walks of life.

“We currently don’t have sufficient space at Pittodrie or any kind of sporting or classroom facilities to call our own, which can make delivering many projects extremely challenging. “

We are extremely excited about moving to this inspirational setting to continue our work and respond to the needs of more individuals in communities, not just in the city but across the entire North-east.”

The total value of phase one is around £10million and the club has promised to appoint local firms wherever possible.

Contracts are due to be agreed in the coming weeks for work packages which include roads and sewers, construction of the pavilion and groundsman’s accommodation, formation of the pitches as well as all electrical, plumbing, heating and ventilation work.

20k capacity sounds about right for a club like Aberdeen. At the very least, gives them more space to squeeze in extra bigot brothers fans at £25 a pop.

Apologies if asked already, but what is earmarked for the Pittodrie stadium site once Aberdeen move into their new shiny midden.... a development by Milne Homes?

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

20k capacity sounds about right for a club like Aberdeen. At the very least, gives them more space to squeeze in extra bigot brothers fans at £25 a pop.

Apologies if asked already, but what is earmarked for the Pittodrie stadium site once Aberdeen move into their new shiny midden.... a development by Milne Homes?

Flats, almost certainly.

Surprised the No Kingsford lot haven't done anything about JR'ing the decision. They'll be running very short on time now.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Capacity at Pittodrie is more than 20,000 currently so wouldn't imagine any more of them would get spaces than they do now.