The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

They do that at Celtic park, McDermid Park, Iprix, Tynecastle and Hampden, maybe not Easter Road but temporary road closures or restrictions are perfectly normal things and make better and easier journeys for everyone. 

Again. There are lots and lots of roads around these stadiums within a 5-20 minute walking distance.

4 hours ago, harry94 said:

In the case of Dens, the footprint isn't really an issue. There's obvious potential there that could have been developed on (and still can in theory) but I think the economics of redoing Dens V new ground is what kind of kills it.

Like pointed out, the south side is a bit of a b*****d with the layout. There have been numerous schemes in the background for the last couple of decades where they've looked at even using the space for flats or even some sort of commercial development but it's never went past a nice idea. There was a real prospect of getting the money to redevelop three sides of the ground when grant applications were going in to access funding for behind the goals but the cost estimate of just a normal stand there (without the facilities of a Main Stand) put the figure through the roof.

Even if doing the two stands alone did work out cheaper than a new purpose built stadium, raising that money is pretty much impossible. The only real reason the Americans are involved in this is that there's tangible commercial long term benefit from then. The stadium alone is pretty worthless in economic benefit and the only real thing it brings is the ability to win approval for a wider plan. The crematorium, hotel, housing and a bit of rent long term is where the viability lies. If the project doesn't achieve any of those and gets knocked back, I suspect Dundee may well be looking for new owners in the near future.

The housing will get knocked back, surely? Isn’t that completely at odds with the council’s local development plan?

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yes. I’ve been on the bus and never had bother, as I’ve not had another 100 buses plus every single person in the stadiums car queuing infront of me to get out and I also took the train once and managed to walk back to Union Street along with hundreds of other people and return to Dundee, which you’ll now not be able to do either.

Nobody will be walking away from the stadium to there cars that are parked elsewhere and there is one road to que out on too for everyone in the stadium and it’s terrible.

I've no idea why this is so difficult to grasp.

The housing will get knocked back, surely? Isn’t that completely at odds with the council’s local development plan?
The council have spent two years with the club being heavily consulted and regular meetings so they feel pretty confident but we'll see in a couple of months.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

How can all the shuttle buses leave at the same time? By definition they will be going back and forward.

Well I quite clearly meant all the shuttle buses that will be sat waiting for fans at full-time. Surely you didn't need that explained to you?

The police (who you're claiming haven't commented despite being consulted on it and who have submissions in the stadium application) say they'll have traffic management in place, where they can hold traffic and stagger it, empty the car park, let shuttle buses in and out, etc.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Again. There are lots and lots of roads around these stadiums within a 5-20 minute walking distance.

There are lots and lots of roads within a 20 minute walk of Kingsford too. Within 20 minutes you would be in the centre of Westhill, or the arnhall car park 600 spaces there) and you could probably reach Kingswells P&R or at least the parking at Prime four by that time.

Park in Westhill and you've three or four directions you can go.

Me? I'll either drive 5 minutes to Bridge of Don park and ride and get the shuttle bus from there, or I'll park in Kingswells and once I'm at my car I'll be home in about 15 minutes. 

Any comparisons to Easter Road are irrelevant anyway as we're not moving to Edinburgh. The comparisons are with Pittodrie or any other site in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire you have in mind for the stadium.

27 minutes ago, Dunty said:

Well I quite clearly meant all the shuttle buses that will be sat waiting for fans at full-time. Surely you didn't need that explained to you?

The police (who you're claiming haven't commented despite being consulted on it and who have submissions in the stadium application) say they'll have traffic management in place, where they can hold traffic and stagger it, empty the car park, let shuttle buses in and out, etc.

There are lots and lots of roads within a 20 minute walk of Kingsford too. Within 20 minutes you would be in the centre of Westhill, or the arnhall car park 600 spaces there) and you could probably reach Kingswells P&R or at least the parking at Prime four by that time.

Me? I'll either drive 5 minutes to Bridge of Don park and ride and get the shuttle bus from there, or I'll park in Kingswells and once I'm at my car I'll be home in about 15 minutes. 

Any comparisons to Easter Road are irrelevant anyway as we're not moving to Edinburgh. The comparisons are with Pittodrie or any other site in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire you have in mind for the stadium.

There won't be any vehicles within 20 minutes of the stadium (outwith the integral car-park) as the proposed CPZ is based on a 30 minute walk.

34 minutes ago, strichener said:

There won't be any vehicles within 20 minutes of the stadium (outwith the integral car-park) as the proposed CPZ is based on a 30 minute walk.

There will be car parking available in Arnhall Ind Estate, club have already secured that, there will be more once this has passed. CPZ is Kingswells side, Aberdeenshire council don't have an equivalent at the moment as they say they couldn't enforce it. 

2 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

I've no idea why this is so difficult to grasp.

Because it's false. The latest complaint from the W.A.N.K.S. is how "dangerous" the footbridge over the A944 will be (because the safety of football fans is their prime driver here), that footbridge is so that fans on foot can cross across to the Arnhall side to go back to their cars. There will be plenty fans who will be parking west of Kingsford, there are only 1300 spaces within the stadium complex, it's a simple concept to grasp surely?

2 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

And these are ?[1] When you would leave the stadium it’s either right or left . Yes both roads eventually[2] have offtakes. But there would only be one exit[3].

[1] Shown in my lovely pictures

[2]"eventually"  :lol::blink:

[3] From. The. Stadium. 

If you get one of the shuttle buses but your team are getting pumped then you'll have to just wait and suffer through it.

Alternatively you could hide a carryout in a nearby field beforehand to be ready for just such a possibility

1 hour ago, fatshaft said:

There will be car parking available in Arnhall Ind Estate, club have already secured that, there will be more once this has passed. CPZ is Kingswells side, Aberdeenshire council don't have an equivalent at the moment as they say they couldn't enforce it. 

D

[1] Shown in my lovely pictures

[2]"eventually"  :lol::blink:

[3] From. The. Stadium. 

Still awaiting the 5 exits.

Because it's false. The latest complaint from the W.A.N.K.S. is how "dangerous" the footbridge over the A944 will be (because the safety of football fans is their prime driver here), that footbridge is so that fans on foot can cross across to the Arnhall side to go back to their cars. There will be plenty fans who will be parking west of Kingsford, there are only 1300 spaces within the stadium complex, it's a simple concept to grasp surely?

So where are the other 5000 cars going to park?

2 hours ago, Dunty said:

So what are you going to do in the centre of Westhill? Certainly not parking. How long will it take you to Kingswells? Certainly won 't be a pleasant experience if you plan to walk. Once again, all the shuttle buses won't leave at the same time will they?

10 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

So what are you going to do in the centre of Westhill? Certainly not parking. How long will it take you to Kingswells? Certainly won 't be a pleasant experience if you plan to walk. Once again, all the shuttle buses won't leave at the same time will they?

In the scale used here Kingswells is "nae distance ava'" as the crow flies, the Lang Stracht is barely more than a five minute walk distant thanks to the  7 league boots supplied by Mine Foot & Mouth Co and the Justice Mill is installing a Stargate for those in a hurry for a Pint & Pie, chips & beans (double pie for an extra Reed Poon)

So what are you going to do in the centre of Westhill? Certainly not parking.

Why not? There's a big car park right at the shops. Also parking at ashdale, the school and community centre. They can't stop people from parking there even with a CPZ.

How long will it take you to Kingswells? Certainly won 't be a pleasant experience if you plan to walk.

It's 1.4 miles from Pittodrie to Aberdeen bus station.

It's 1.1 miles from Kingsford to Kingswells park and ride. 1.5 miles if I walk a bit further and go have a pint in the four mile house.

Once again, all the shuttle buses won't leave at the same time will they?

Yes, they will. 

Some will come back. 

8 hours ago, Dunty said:

Why not? There's a big car park right at the shops. Also parking at ashdale, the school and community centre. They can't stop people from parking there even with a CPZ.

It's 1.4 miles from Pittodrie to Aberdeen bus station.

It's 1.1 miles from Kingsford to Kingswells park and ride. 1.5 miles if I walk a bit further and go have a pint in the four mile house.

Yes, they will. 

Some will come back. 

11 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Why will this walk be less pleasant than Union St to Pittodrie, or the boulevard area, or off the esplanade, or from Froghall for instance?

Why won't you be able to park at Westhill shops yet you can at Queens Links for instance?

Dunty seems to live in real world where direct comparisons can be made. 

11 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

In the scale used here Kingswells is "nae distance ava'" as the crow flies, the Lang Stracht is barely more than a five minute walk distant thanks to the  7 league boots supplied by Mine Foot & Mouth Co and the Justice Mill is installing a Stargate for those in a hurry for a Pint & Pie, chips & beans (double pie for an extra Reed Poon)

The scale is based on distance and time.

Lang Stracht (Tesco) to Pittodrie 3.6 miles / 16 minutes

Lang Stracht (Tesco) to Kingsford 3.6 miles / 9 minutes

Google maps ken? :thumsup2

The scale is based on distance and time.

Lang Stracht (Tesco) to Pittodrie 3.6 miles / 16 minutes
Lang Stracht (Tesco) to Kingsford 3.6 miles / 9 minutes

Google maps ken? :thumsup2

f**k me you’re really struggling with this whole amount of traffic/roads/routes thing aren’t you.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

f**k me you’re really struggling with this whole amount of traffic/roads/routes thing aren’t you.

The opposite of that. Pittodrie is right through the city on single lane roads. Kingsford can be accessed from 5 directions, 3 of which are along dual carriageways. Care to explain why google is wrong as well?