League Leaders V QOS

8 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

I noticed this with every corner he took at the home end away from the linesman,  

I've noticed this a lot in several different games recently - the linsemen/ref don't seem to be enforcing this any more

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CamaroSaint said:

I've noticed this a lot in several different games recently - the linsemen/ref don't seem to be enforcing this any more

I've seen alot of players pushing the line boundaries,  but Flynn just went a whole few yards extra 

I suppose in a way it's cheating but if the officials aren't going to enforce the rules then any player would take any kind of advantage they could even if it was just a small one like that. Though tbf to thw officials it would be hard for them to see it at that corner unless the ref got up close which isn't going to happen on a regular basis.

There should be a linesman right on it.  I wonder if it's a conscious decision to be more relaxed about it - they used to enforce it really strictly, not even allowing a couple of inches when the wind blew the ball out of position.

8 minutes ago, CamaroSaint said:

There should be a linesman right on it.  I wonder if it's a conscious decision to be more relaxed about it - they used to enforce it really strictly, not even allowing a couple of inches when the wind blew the ball out of position.

No there shouldnt. Thats why he does it and usually gets away with it. The nature of the assistant role is they stand at the goalkeeper's left hand corner flag at corners. If the corner is bring taken from the other side the linesman in that half cant possibly tell if its in the arc or not. If its miles out the one in the other half should notice I suppose but he is generally over 50 yards away and watching across the pitch instead. The referee will be on the edge of the box at corners. Cheating like that will only be picked up if either the crowd or the opposing team make a song and dance about it.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No there shouldnt. Thats why he does it and usually gets away with it. The nature of the assistant role is they stand at the goalkeeper's left hand corner flag at corners. If the corner is bring taken from the other side the linesman in that half cant possibly tell if its in the arc or not. If its miles out the one in the other half should notice I suppose but he is generally over 50 yards away and watching across the pitch instead. The referee will be on the edge of the box at corners. Cheating like that will only be picked up if either the crowd or the opposing team make a song and dance about it.

It's all pretty similar to the yards (often loads) stolen at throw-ins which  very often happens right beside the linesman. They never really seem to deal with foul throws all that often either....both things drive me to distraction but it's how it is I suppose!!

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I sit in W3, further away than the linesman at that side, and with a poorer view (more elevated, but worse angle and further away)... and he was clearly out of the legal area most of the time.

At one point it really must have been two feet.  He then dragged it back - to about a foot.

Loads of players do it, but never seen anyone steal so much.

Can't see it gives a big advantage, so he should stop doing it in case we lose a corner over it.

Officials running the lines are one of the most infuriating things going. It seems they'll give a decision, rightly or wrongly, based on a whim or worse still not give an obvious decision right in front of them at all; presumably under the assumption that is the ref's job, then they'll flag some 30 metres away from an incident as if they are the sole arbiter on the pitch.

The first one, though a fine strike, was a bit central for me and should have been saveable.

The corner for the second was taken from a ridiculous place.  Rather than feeling a sense of injustice over it though, it just irritates me.  St Mirren gained no direct advantage from it, so I really don't mind that it preceded a goal.  It just bugs me that players attempt such petty and pointless acts of pushing at boundaries.  It's infantile.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The first one, though a fine strike, was a bit central for me and should have been saveable.

:blink:

Seriously? "A bit central"? It hit the inside side netting about a foot from the top corner. Martin hadnt an earthly. The defensive lapse was firstly that Smith was all alone and secondly nobody closing down the shot quickly enough.

I guess it was because St Mirren offered him a contract first.
There was about a week between the day he was meant to sign and the day he did actually sign.

It just happened to coincide with the week that Dundee were begging for a word with Jack about him working for them. So I'm not sure it was as simple as him going with the first contract offered.

I sit in W3, further away than the linesman at that side, and with a poorer view (more elevated, but worse angle and further away)... and he was clearly out of the legal area most of the time.
At one point it really must have been two feet.  He then dragged it back - to about a foot.
Loads of players do it, but never seen anyone steal so much.
Can't see it gives a big advantage, so he should stop doing it in case we lose a corner over it.
It can offer a different angle I suppose.

Is the chance of a goal worth the risk of losing a corner? Probably.

Though in the spirit of good sportsmanship it really shouldn't be difficult for the ref to stamp it out.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

:blink:

Seriously? "A bit central"? It hit the inside side netting about a foot from the top corner. Martin hadnt an earthly. The defensive lapse was firstly that Smith was all alone and secondly nobody closing down the shot quickly enough.

It doesn't hit the side netting at all - that's simply not true.

It very much hits the back of the net, well in from the side and at a good height for the goalkeeper.

I'm not claiming it was goalkeeping howler, but I'm not going to concede that it was in the postage stamp either, because according to these pictures, it clearly wasn't.

Archived