League Leaders V QOS

53 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Wasn't bad!!  He Handed you the 3 points!! Wouldn't even see that Down the local park on a Sunday..

Just seen the video of the game what the hell was Rankin thinking 

Why would you try and save a ball with your hands when your goalkeeper is right behind you .

Really cost us the game at one nil you always have a chance 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

No,  he was/is bad but it was just highlighted more being up against those players.  Just about every tackle he puts in (when he can get close enough to actually put in a tackle) he is lying on the ground which means he isn't in control if he,  by some chance,  wins the ball.  He runs about pointing to players what they should be doing,  forgetting he should be doing something himself. The room your central midfielders had at times yesterday was beyond a joke and that's the area he is supposed to cover.  Ok,  he's not alone in there but he is the most experienced yet least effective player in there imo.   He divides opinion amongst the support and plenty will say he is performs a valuable task, but to me he is playing a division above his ability.  He was one of Naysmith's first signings,   got a 2 year deal,    but if he is offered another deal after this season then it will confirm suspicions that some have about the Clubs' ambitions,  or lack of,  and Manager's suitability for the job. 

Fair enough, you see him a lot more than me. 

Rankin hasn't been a terrible signing, but he's not been great.  He played his part in hauling us out of trouble last season, but his standard has dropped way off this season.  Unlike similar players we've had in recent time such as Mark Kerr or Derek Young (:wub:) he doesn't look like he has played at a higher level.  He is meant to be the calming influence on the team, using his superior experience to stay one step ahead of the opposition.  Instead he charges about like a headless chicken causing more problems than he fixes.

I'd be very disappointed if we kept him on next season.  I'd imagine he'll retire to be honest.  Once Jacobs returns our first choice pairing will be him and Thompson hopefully.

My biggest gripe with Rankin is he should be experienced enough to receive the ball and dictate the play when required. I never see him receive the ball, relax and find the appropriate pass. He seems to get it then boot it forward/release it as quick as he can.

For years he was a player I always wanted to join us. He's obviously a lot older now and not up to those standards but even so, he's been a major disappoinment for me. I'd sooner Bell was given a chance. He showed more composure on the ball last week than Rankin has all season. Sadly Rankin appears to be the first name on thr teamsheet so I think we're stuck with him for now.

Dont know if my memory is playing tricks on me but Im sure Rankin back in his Ross County days used to be quite the baller. Putting his foot on the ball and dictating play with an air of authority. Now he seems to be the total opposite from what I remember. He certainly has his qualities. Hes as fit as a fiddle and has a positive attitude and desire to win which rubs off on those around him. He just seems to have no calmness on the ball anymore nor is effective at showing for passes which makes the defence feel the need for going for the safer long ball option more often than not. We really need a midfielder that shows for the ball from deep and can dictate play rather than these workmanlike types we have who have not much ability at all.

Ooft just seen the highlights (up until the 2nd goal). I think we've actually been screwed on two major incidents. It's hard to tell from the camera angle but I reckon Fergusson is in line for his goal and I think the linesman has got the wrong man. The Saints defender looks to be behind the penalty spot and I wouldn't say Fergusson is.

The corner just before the penalty, Flynn places the ball way past the corner. It should never have stood. A bit of a sickener.

I screenshot the pictures but they wont upload, annoyingly.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

No,  he was/is bad but it was just highlighted more being up against those players.  Just about every tackle he puts in (when he can get close enough to actually put in a tackle) he is lying on the ground which means he isn't in control if he,  by some chance,  wins the ball.  He runs about pointing to players what they should be doing,  forgetting he should be doing something himself. The room your central midfielders had at times yesterday was beyond a joke and that's the area he is supposed to cover.  Ok,  he's not alone in there but he is the most experienced yet least effective player in there imo.   He divides opinion amongst the support and plenty will say he is performs a valuable task, but to me he is playing a division above his ability.  He was one of Naysmith's first signings,   got a 2 year deal,    but if he is offered another deal after this season then it will confirm suspicions that some have about the Clubs' ambitions,  or lack of,  and Manager's suitability for the job. 

He divides opinion in that some think he isn’t very good and others think he is terrible.

8 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

The shocking "clearing header" against Thistle in the cup was enough for me to change my opinion from not very good to terrible.

He has given to many goals/pen away this season for my liking, he spends a lot of his time sliding about on the ground, surely be his last season at this level and he can concentrate in his coaching and other off field duties elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ooft just seen the highlights (up until the 2nd goal). I think we've actually been screwed on two major incidents. It's hard to tell from the camera angle but I reckon Fergusson is in line for his goal and I think the linesman has got the wrong man. The Saints defender looks to be behind the penalty spot and I wouldn't say Fergusson is.

The corner just before the penalty, Flynn places the ball way past the corner. It should never have stood. A bit of a sickener.

I screenshot the pictures but they wont upload, annoyingly.

Its Cameron who "scores" for us, not Fergusson. The comentators are wrong. I watched it on my phone and wasnt at the game but he looked just offside to me. Would need to see again on a proper screen though. 

Clearly the corner for the second goal is nothing like in corner segment but that shouldnt really matter. Again watching on my phone looks like Rankin is a wee bit unlucky. The way folk posted yesterday I thought he had stretched out an arm and tipped it round the post! He has leaned in to try and block it and been done by the flight which looks like it instead hits his arm as he falls. No complaint at the decision really but for me yellow is right. He is deliberately trying to block but not to use his arm. Martin is almost certainly saving it anyway.

31 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

YsbKHg1.gif

As the rest of us get this...

Capture.thumb.PNG.a406604b6c8001375cb749db1faedbf0.PNG

Not that I'm too fussed, I should say, they will appear online soon enough.

I'm getting that now too. They played for me an hour or so back though. Didnt even realise they were supposed to be subscription only.

Archived