League Leaders V QOS

A walk in the park in the the first half absolutely garbage in the second half foot taken right off the gas. QOS played some nice football they will hurt teams and should make the play offs easily , big lads but not physical they like to play football. Job done but would like to see us push more when in front. 

Absolute garbage? Ffs - totally in control second half. Job done, 3 points and move on.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disappointing today. The first was a screamer, albeit we didn’t really close it down. After that rocky start, we fought back ( briefly) and Samson had a couple of good saves. We then had one chalked off for offside, from my vantage point a quarter of a mile away I thought it was clearly onside.....

For the penalty, I was annoyed that we let Saints work the same corner routine twice, but what Rankin thought he was doing I have no idea. It was well hit but seemed to be hit straight, Martin would probably (?) have got it. And I can’t remember the last time we saved a penalty (outside of shoot-outs).

Oddly, up until the penalty I thought Rankin had being doing well.

We were poor the rest of the half, I was happy to get to HT at only 2-0.

Second half, we took off the ineffective Mercer and brought on Thomas who actually looked quite good. However, the half was a bit of a non-event, one save at either end.

The incident where Dobbie had it in a dangerous position on the left sums our day up. He nutmegged the defender beautifully and then scuffed the ball behind the goals.

Saints pinged the ball about quite efficiently,   I really can’t see them not winning the league.

22 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Absolute garbage? Ffs - totally in control second half. Job done, 3 points and move on.

For me we were cheap the second half yes job done but still crap. QOS play some neat football and did come close. 54 points on the table very pleasing. 

22 minutes ago, QOSQOS said:

Disappointing today. The first was a screamer, albeit we didn’t really close it down. After that rocky start, we fought back ( briefly) and Samson had a couple of good saves. We then had one chalked off for offside, from my vantage point a quarter of a mile away I thought it was clearly onside.....

For the penalty, I was annoyed that we let Saints work the same corner routine twice, but what Rankin thought he was doing I have no idea. It was well hit but seemed to be hit straight, Martin would probably (?) have got it. And I can’t remember the last time we saved a penalty (outside of shoot-outs).

Oddly, up until the penalty I thought Rankin had being doing well.

We were poor the rest of the half, I was happy to get to HT at only 2-0.

Second half, we took off the ineffective Mercer and brought on Thomas who actually looked quite good. However, the half was a bit of a non-event, one save at either end.

The incident where Dobbie had it in a dangerous position on the left sums our day up. He nutmegged the defender beautifully and then scuffed the ball behind the goals.

Saints pinged the ball about quite efficiently,   I really can’t see them not winning the league.

You guys were closer than I was, but I thought a Saints defender managed to get a toe in and hit it off Dobbie as he was shooting?

Game was won at half-time. No point in busting a gut in the second half as we have 12 important games coming up. Good to see another aspect of our play in containment. And good to gives our new players a wee bit of game time. We still had some classy moves in the second half but I was happy to just play it out with ease.

For me we were cheap the second half yes job done but still crap. QOS play some neat football and did come close. 54 points on the table very pleasing. 

Think garbage is pretty harsh though, we weren't as good as we were first half but didn't really need to be and seen the game out effectively...

We played some really good stuff today, mainly in the first half and should have been further ahead at half time, although thought QOS were decent in spells of the game and if had scored at 1-0 game could have changed.... Appreciate it wasn't his best game today but Dobbie gives me the fear, in that 5-10 minute spell where QOS were on top in the first half thought he looked dangerous.

We had a number of really good performers today, thought Liam Smith and Magennis were our best players on the day but hard to pick someone who didn't have a decent game.

4 minutes ago, GaZaH said:

Think garbage is pretty harsh though, we weren't as good as we were first half but didn't really need to be and seen the game out effectively...

We played some really good stuff today, mainly in the first half and should have been further ahead at half time, although thought QOS were decent in spells of the game and if had scored at 1-0 game could have changed.... Appreciate it wasn't his best game today but Dobbie gives me the fear, in that 5-10 minute spell where QOS were on top in the first half thought he looked dangerous.

We had a number of really good performers today, thought Liam Smith and Magennis were our best players on the day but hard to pick someone who didn't have a decent game.

Agreed.

We are strong all over the pitch, and have a bench that would get a start for most other teams.

Happy days!

A quick summary of the game today:

I'll try to start with the positives before going into the game today.

• It was only 2-0, so the goal difference wasn't ruined by the performance.
  • We looked threatening from set pieces
  • Dobbie launching the ball towards Greenock
  • Ferguson had some promising flashes
  • Todorov looks like he could pass the ball
  • Dykes won some headers
  • Martin didn't concede a dreadful goal this time
  • We drew the second half
  • We have a week off.
  • There was a lovely sunset leaving the ground

Firstly , why Naysmith thought that playing three at the back against a team with quick skillful wide players was a good idea I'll never know. Yes, it worked against Brechin and Partick but you could beat Brechin playing any formation so it doesn't really matter and Partick we caught them by surprise. St Mirren had a pretty good idea of what was coming and it played into their strengths. Rooney at wingback against Lewis Morgan was a massacre with him trying to man mark him instead of playing his actual position. Eckersley was able to do what he wanted as nobody would go out to him. On the other side Mercer was the same without the being put into the shadow realm by Lewis Morgan bit.  Previously we've not played badly with a 4-4-2  so why we persist with things until it goes wrong is frustrating.

The midfield being poor isn't really a surprise but when the defence is struggling it just becomes a mess and it got outnumbered and outplayed. Meaning that we could could lay a finger on them. Rankin probably prefers having everything he does be a tackle as that was a shambolic display from him. The penalty was frankly stupid, it wasn't that well hit a shot and the sooner Kyle Jacobs is back the better. Thomson was poor but as a team I'm not sure if it's because St Mirren are a good team but we were very afraid to take any risks on the ball, playing sideways and putting ourselves in trouble (Darren Brownlie in particular). It was a deer in headlights kind of performance as we let them play far too much.

Second half was more of an act of mercy by St Mirren though we did play better which isn't much of complement after that first half. Personally Naysmith will have to take the rap for making an absolute jeer of the tactics for this game, I get that you want to keep a winning team together but when you are against the best team in the league, you have to adapt to them and not the other way around. 

Keeper may well have saved it, but it was a pretty firmly struck shot on target, and it’s the first time in years I’ve seen an outfield player actually make that kind of save :-).
I thought he should have held it[emoji14]

Naysmith raging in post-match interview blaming players 100% for not carrying out game plan that had been worked on all week.
There will be recriminations once he has watched the video back.
Such a positive guy.
Maybe Del will get back in after all !

F@@k up FUD

I actually thought Rankin was Queens best player today, even though he conceded the penalty.

Naysmith post-match said that Queens didn't play the first half the way they'd planned during the week and he was raging at half-time and he didn't speak to the players post-match.

8 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Only you could manage to make it sound like having Dobbie in our team is a bad thing.  He is in the top 2 best players in the division and is the best player many of our fans have ever seen play for the club.  There really isn't any shame in the rest of our team not being up to his standard.  It is because of Dobbie we actually have a chance in this game.  How about a bit of optimism for a change?

I'm going to go for 2-2 with Dom Thomas coming off the bench and scoring a worldie to equalise.

So St Mirren won easily 2 nil !!!  

Will only be optimistic when I think we have a slight chance of winning the game  

Today was always going to be very hard better teams than Queens have got nothing from the game

2 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Naysmith raging in post-match interview blaming players 100% for not carrying out game plan that had been worked on all week.

There will be recriminations once he has watched the video back.

Such a positive guy.

Maybe Del will get back in after all !

Even if he's injured?

A well deserved win for Saints who were better than us all over the pitch.

A strange first half for us- we didn't play well in a formation that looked very like a 3-6-1 at times but we could have had 2/3 goals. That said it could easily have been 5-3 to Saints at HT as Martin had a couple of great saves and Reilly missed a huge chance from three yards.

While a 0-2 deficit at HT was a big mountain to climb we showed virtually nothing in second half and didn't look remotely like getting a goal back and making a game of it.

Very few players enhanced their reputations today - Martin did well and I thought Cameron was our best player. The midfield continues to be a huge weakness. Despite some positive transfer activity still no sign of a playmaker.

A defeat away to league leaders is hardly a surprise but the performance was very weak and insipid. Nothing to suggest that the players actually believe that they can make top 4.

Nonsense assertion from Demented Zebra that we were 'garbage' in the second half. As far as I am aware it took Samson about 25-30 minutes to get a touch of the ball in the second half. 

Completely  within ourselves at every point of the match. No disrespect to Queens but if every game from now til the end of the season is as routine as that, I'll be absolutely delighted. 

Time Rankin was dropped shame he wasn't sent off today that would have made it easier for Naysmith v Morton what the hell was he doing giving the pen and 3 points away! Martin had the shot covered!! 

I think GN's view is that there is nobody else and let's be honest we are painfully short of midfield alternatives but I would like to see Bell get a chance. It is hard to imagine our midfield being any less effective with him in it.

Archived