League Leaders V QOS

HT 2-0

Comfortable stuff really and the scoreline is a fair reflection.

We deserved to go ahead when the opener came, some finish from young Liam Smith from outside the box.

Queens then had a couple of moments in between our goals where they could have equalised, Samson pulling out some big saves when it counted to keep it level.

Then the penalty and Harry Davis doing the Dennis Irwin duty and sticking it in the net and surely finishing the game.

Had a few chances to make it 3 after that.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aside from a 2 minute spell where three great Samson saves kept them out, Saints have been streets ahead. 

Worried that it’s only two as I can’t see us being as dominant again in the second half. 

On the penalty, I thought the rules were that if you give away a penalty and have made no attempt to play the ball it was a red card. 

Mind you, I suppose he did play the ball :-)!

Really good performance so far, Eckersley in particular has been fantastic and Smith's goal was a belter. Reilly is winning absolutely everything.

QoS have been surprisingly poor apart from one brief spell where Samson pulled out a couple of great saves. Rooney has been dreadful, constantly out of position and pulling out of tackles.

Just now, Flash said:

Might as well get Thomas and Todorov on to give them some game time. 

As long as Rankin gtf,  I don't care who comes on.  It's like playing with 10 men every week.  Mercer on the left also looks lost, doesn't know when to push on or when to hold back.  Not his fault he's indecisive being moved about from one game to next. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Certainly hard that quoted as a rule change this season. Mayb not this league?

what is the rule then?

Is it not that you don't anymore get sent off for a 'denying a clear goalscoring opportunity' foul if it results in a penalty, unless it's deemed deliberate?

It's designed to make conceding a penalty AND losing a player less likely, rather than moreso.

As long as Rankin gtf,  I don't care who comes on.  It's like playing with 10 men every week.  Mercer on the left also looks lost, doesn't know when to push on or when to hold back.  Not his fault he's indecisive being moved about from one game to next. 

He is absolutely gutter.

First goal was scored by a defender? Another set piece?

FT 2-0

Second half played out to a friendly enough spirit. Both teams seemed happy enough with 2-0 so nothing of note happened.

MOTM deservedly went to L Smith, great first goal and he was excellent defensively. Would like to see him signed permanently in the summer if possible, he’s a fine young player.

Another great result and if we keep going like this we will have the league won by Easter.

St. Mirren didn't need to push themselves after the break and saw out the game comfortably.  Queens looked to have accepted defeat when they trooped out at the start of the second half.  Too many players in blue just not up to this level.  As for the new boys,  Thomas looked good when he came on but faded fast.  Todorov looks slow,  and we've got enough slow players already.  Maybe both lacking matches to be fit. 

Thoroughly deserved victory again, played very well in the first half and should’ve scored a few more.

Second half was quite comfortable & an easy 3 points in the end.

I think the break next weekend will do us good as McGinn & Cammy Smith look like a rest will do them good.

We’re on our way!!

Archived