League Leaders V QOS

46 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Really? I've not been impressed with Saints defensively whenever I've seen them. Obviously you'll have seen them more than me but from what I've seen it's definitely the area requiring some significant strengthening for the step up next season. Aberdeen cut tore them apart without getting out of second gear and I reckon it'll be a regular occurrence next season unless there is a massive improvement.

There's a Saints fan I talk to up in Glasgow who think the same thing so I'm possibly not way off.

We've not really had a settled back four this season.

We've had four different centre halves (Baird, Buchanan, McKenzie, Davis) and 4 different full backs (Smith, Eckersley, Stelios, Irvine).

Since Davis came in though, we've been a lot more solid and have the second best defensive record in the league (despite losing 11 goals in our first 6 league games - including a 4 and a 3).

Clearly if we go up we'll need to strengthen across the team, but at the moment I'm pretty happy with out defence - both in first four, and backup options.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Really? I've not been impressed with Saints defensively whenever I've seen them. Obviously you'll have seen them more than me but from what I've seen it's definitely the area requiring some significant strengthening for the step up next season. Aberdeen cut tore them apart without getting out of second gear and I reckon it'll be a regular occurrence next season unless there is a massive improvement.

There's a Saints fan I talk to up in Glasgow who think the same thing so I'm possibly not way off.

The Baird /Davis partnership has conceded 5 goals in their last 10 league games together , there was a queue a mile long for Davis last close season but his injury at the time put them all off. He is too good for this level , but we have a years option on him. Baird is improving with every game. I have no fears about going forward with them next season , my concerns would be at wing back/full back , and holding midfield !

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Defensively we've improved with Davis and Baird in there. We're not as solid as I'd like, but it's improved as season went on. The way we play always leaves us a bit exposed. It's more Tom Hendrie than Gus MacPherson!

Saying that we didn't have Davis for any QOS game this season, McCart needed due to injury/suspensions in the first game and he wasn't risked on the artificial turf due to previous injury in the second game. 

Aberdeen game, Stelios had a mare and sold 2 goals and GMS scored a terrific strike. Would have been more interesting to see us play a St Johnstone or Hamilton to judge where we are, but no doubt good for Championship but need strengthening. 

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Davis has made a huge difference, and Baird is developing into a fine centre back. As has been mentioned by others, we've had Baird, Davis, Mackenzie, Buchanan, Irvine and Eckersley playing at centre back at different times this season due to injury and suspension. We've also played a more attacking style due to believing we can outscore teams at this level. A more defensive midfielder has been called for by numerous fans on social media for certain games, but for in the main I'm happy to keep attacking as we have been.

As has also been said, we've conceded just 4 goals in 10 league games since Davis has come back into the side - he didn't play at Palmerston due to the plastic pitch, and him not long being back from a serious knee injury.

We've now brought in Hill, who can be that defensive shield when needed, as well as Flynn, who can allow Magennis to go central in midfield, and he's a more combative player than McShane for times when it's needed.

I anticipate a tough game on Saturday, but think we will have just too much for Queens going forward.

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
1. the fear of losing an 11 point lead and the reticule that would come with it.
2. The fear of our team ‘not being strong enough and ‘bottling’ it.
3. The fear we, as fans, panic and transmit this to the players, especially at home.
Think back to a year ago and the positivity that drove us to survival. Do the same and the league title is ours.

A lot of people, self-included, have said "We never do things easily, we always mess up, it's the Saints way".

Leaving aside the fact that fans of all clubs think this :rolleyes: how many times over the last year have Saints proved that completely wrong.

In fact, it's been quite the opposite - time and time again we've pulled results out of the bag that in seasons gone by would  have gone against us.

Sure we've had the odd blip, but by and large we've a squad and a management team with the mental strength to perform as they should.

I think the feel good factor of the last 12 months has a few months left in it yet.

3 minutes ago, Bluenortherner said:

I expect at least a draw from this game. Dobbie wants promotion and he was in deep negotiation regarding the signing of new players. Hopefully they have chosen correctly! 

Does he think he is Messi or someone as good as him? Him and Ronaldo are the only calibre you hear of having this influence but Dobbie:lol:  

On 1/30/2018 at 23:49, Bhoona Bud said:

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
1. the fear of losing an 11 point lead and the reticule that would come with it.

To be fair if you lose an 11 point league getting a woman`s small handbag as a result would be the least of your worries.

Losing such a lead would be ridiculous though.

Does he think he is Messi or someone as good as him? Him and Ronaldo are the only calibre you hear of having this influence but Dobbie[emoji38]  

I think you'll find Messi and Ronaldo think they are Dobbie b)

Based on our last meeting, once you got to grips with Sir Stephen we were clueless, where as we never got to grips with Morgan, Smith or Gav who all ran us ragged.

Think w'll play a 3-5-2 to try an stifle your mid field and hope God is given one change in the game to win it for us.

Archived