Toot Toot - is that the Relegation Express a-coming?

39 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Nah definitely not like that. I didn't expect much from him after speaking with a County supporting friend, but I've been pleasantly surprised. His fitness is his main issue right now, if he can sort that out he could be a very useful player for us. 

I liked Woods in a midfield 3, and always thought he could have done a job on the left drifting infield like Vigurs used to do for us.  When fit I reckon he'll do a job for you guys.
McIntyre rarely used him in either of those roles though, so Woods ended up being much maligned at County; I felt for him, he wasn't being used properly.

Since Woods fell out with McIntyre and got punted our lack of creativity has become much clearer; that creative loss being yet another issue McIntyre did nothing to fix, instead bringing in Jamie Lindsay who was too similar to our other uncreative workman midfielders.

Actually, Woods is a good example of McIntyre's issues with:
- mis-using good players (Woods wrong role),
- being too cosy with his favourites (Woods being undroppable and on every setpiece for fucking YEARS, despite being maddeningly shit at free kicks),
- falling out with important first-team players (Woods suddenly being forced from the club and given a fat pay-off after years of favouritism);
- allowing important players to go to rivals for free (Boyd and Foster stick in the throat the most, but Woods ultimately went to Partick for free);
- and bloating his squad with too similar players (centremid options of Routis, Chow, Lindsey, JOB, then Draper) while ignoring other types of players (Woods and Irvine were never replaced by McIntyre despite being a big part of what success he achieved).

Then you can throw in some of the more unprofessional rumours about Jim, the transfer tactic of throwing piles and piles of shit at a wall and seeing what stuck, and his weekly tactical tombola so no-one (including the players) had any clue how we were going to play.  There's probably more, i'm just on rant auto-pilot.

Basically, despite being fucking terrible just now, I miss Woods more than McIntyre, and I don't really miss Woods.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dingdong1929 said:

I liked Woods in a midfield 3, and always thought he could have done a job on the left drifting infield like Vigurs used to do for us.  When fit I reckon he'll do a job for you guys.
McIntyre rarely used him in either of those roles though, so Woods ended up being much maligned at County; I felt for him, he wasn't being used properly.

Since Woods fell out with McIntyre and got punted our lack of creativity has become much clearer; that creative loss being yet another issue McIntyre did nothing to fix, instead bringing in Jamie Lindsay who was too similar to our other uncreative workman midfielders.

Actually, Woods is a good example of McIntyre's issues with:
- mis-using good players (Woods wrong role),
- being too cosy with his favourites (Woods being undroppable and on every setpiece for fucking YEARS, despite being maddeningly shit at free kicks),
- falling out with important first-team players (Woods suddenly being forced from the club and given a fat pay-off after years of favouritism);
- allowing important players to go to rivals for free (Boyd and Foster stick in the throat the most, but Woods ultimately went to Partick for free);
- and bloating his squad with too similar players (centremid options of Routis, Chow, Lindsey, JOB, then Draper) while ignoring other types of players (Woods and Irvine were never replaced by McIntyre despite being a big part of what success he achieved).

Then you can throw in some of the more unprofessional rumours about Jim, the transfer tactic of throwing piles and piles of shit at a wall and seeing what stuck, and his weekly tactical tombola so no-one (including the players) had any clue how we were going to play.  There's probably more, i'm just on rant auto-pilot.

Basically, despite being fucking terrible just now, I miss Woods more than McIntyre, and I don't really miss Woods.

Aye, hindsight is a bitch, I almost want to write a letter of apology to Martin Woods for holding a grudge against him for years when a lot of it was the managers fault for using him poorly, and deciding to leave him on setpieces which I could never wrap my head around and was a constant source of frustration

I dare say McIntyre would have been better suited to a club where he had a Director of Football taking care of scouting and transfers because that was probably his biggest issue. Far from the only one, misusing guys as you say was another one, falling out with everyone (though that seems a Ross County special of late, Adams, McIntyre, and weren't there a couple of rumours that Coyle's already fallen out with a couple of players like O'Brien?). And no one telling him that just letting Scott Boyd go 9 months short of 10 years with the club was really shite was a problem.

35 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Aye, hindsight is a bitch, I almost want to write a letter of apology to Martin Woods for holding a grudge against him for years when a lot of it was the managers fault for using him poorly, and deciding to leave him on setpieces which I could never wrap my head around and was a constant source of frustration

I dare say McIntyre would have been better suited to a club where he had a Director of Football taking care of scouting and transfers because that was probably his biggest issue. Far from the only one, misusing guys as you say was another one, falling out with everyone (though that seems a Ross County special of late, Adams, McIntyre, and weren't there a couple of rumours that Coyle's already fallen out with a couple of players like O'Brien?). And no one telling him that just letting Scott Boyd go 9 months short of 10 years with the club was really shite was a problem.

I think the Scott Boyd saga was probably the lowpoint of Jim's reign, definitely the saddest.  Contriving to fall out so badly with him in the first place rather than managing the issue, sending him to a rival on loan, then inexplicably allowing him to sign for them for free while on loan - allowing them to bring in another player (who then scored against our weakened defence), and as you say the timing of it all 6 months short of his 10th year.    He'd have struggled to manage it any worse.
That really did open a few eyes in our support, and probably in the club too.
A DOF would have been a shout for him, but I wonder if his personality would have allowed it?  Imagine him and George Adams - ooft!

From the rumours, Coyle being pissed at JOB and co. was probably fair... and at least Coyle is playing them, rather than gifting them to Hamilton or someone for free.
Coyle's recruitment also seems promising on paper (today's injury-inspired desperation aside), it's just the management of the eleven on the park that seems brutally lacking.

Accelerating at unbelievable place tonight.  Change of crew  has not  helped and  passengers  now want a new driver as well.

Autumn timetable already being printed. Edinburgh and Glasgow both missing but  has new stops at Dumfries, Livingston and Greenock instead.

It's not so much McIntyre is a good manager, he was a reasonable manager who did well to find some players who we were lucky enough to have at the same time (Boyce and Irvine) but Coyle has proven even more inept at working a team out. I'm almost convinced nobody in our midfield knows what they are supposed to be doing. 

5 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Both signed by others.

I stand corrected.

He had use of them. And as much as we've missed Boyce, nobody has ever come close to matching Irvine's work rate and goals for us.

16 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Christ, I forgot about that. Liam Boyce in midfeild. Jesus. What an idiot. 

But did you forget Ryan Dow at wing back?

Archived