Israel and Albania trips

Moo

Basically copying the other thread and putting one up for these two fixtures. I can't make the Israel trip as I'm on holiday at that time already but I'll be able to go to Albania.

Took a plunge and booked hotels in Tirana (free cancellation) although I read in another thread the game is unlikely to be there. Surely be able to get decent enough transport between cities?

Plus anyone came across any decent flight routes yet? Seen a return for £190 last night. Edinburgh-Gatwick-Tirana then the opposite going back.

Game will not be in Tirana since the national stadium is being reconstructed and won’t be finished until 2020 at the earliest. The only stadium currently endorsed by UEFA is in Elbasan which is about an hours drive from Tirana. Public transport is shite so best to drive or get a taxi. The locals can be a bit frisky about their football and for some the riot police might be a bit intimidating but they are there to keep an eye on their own supporters. Otherwise the people are very hospitable and everything is cheap as chips. Tirana is the best place to stay since Elbasan is a shithole.

For flights, watch out for BA in Gatwick because they don't fly every day and when they fly in the evening, they arrive in Gatwick after the last shuttle to Scotland has departed; national airline! Turkish Edinburgh via Istanbul is good and quickest is usually a combo of Brussels and Adria. Cheapest, for those with a sense of adventure is usually a combo of easyjet and blue panorama via Milan.

22 hours ago, Moomkin said:

Game will not be in Tirana since the national stadium is being reconstructed and won’t be finished until 2020 at the earliest. The only stadium currently endorsed by UEFA is in Elbasan which is about an hours drive from Tirana. Public transport is shite so best to drive or get a taxi. The locals can be a bit frisky about their football and for some the riot police might be a bit intimidating but they are there to keep an eye on their own supporters. Otherwise the people are very hospitable and everything is cheap as chips. Tirana is the best place to stay since Elbasan is a shithole.

For flights, watch out for BA in Gatwick because they don't fly every day and when they fly in the evening, they arrive in Gatwick after the last shuttle to Scotland has departed; national airline! Turkish Edinburgh via Istanbul is good and quickest is usually a combo of Brussels and Adria. Cheapest, for those with a sense of adventure is usually a combo of easyjet and blue panorama via Milan.

Albania played their most recent competitive match at Shkoder, when did it change that Elbasan is the only stadium they can use?

From a selfish point of view Shkoder would be handier as I was thinking of heading to Podgorica before or after. 

5 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

Albania played their most recent competitive match at Shkoder, when did it change that Elbasan is the only stadium they can use?

From a selfish point of view Shkoder would be handier as I was thinking of heading to Podgorica before or after. 

They played three WC 2018 qualifiers in Shkodra (Macedonia, Spain and Italy), but checking back they have never played any Euro qualifiers there, which leads to the thought that Shkodra may be FIFA compliant but not UEFA compliant despite having a higher capacity than Elbasan.

Would also prefer Shkodra, as I'm based in Podgorica.

Me and my mates are looking at booking up for Albania. We saw flights via Gatwick for around £150 but they’ve already shot up so a massive schoolboy errror on our part for not booking there and then.

I’ve already spent hours looking at various routes. I’ve looked at flying to Tirana, Podgorica, Prishtina, Skopje, northern Greece, flying to Italy and taking the ferry across and of course flying via just about every Central European city you can think of. Hopefully we’ll get something sorted soon.

Me and my mates are looking at booking up for Albania. We saw flights via Gatwick for around £150 but they’ve already shot up so a massive schoolboy errror on our part for not booking there and then.
I’ve already spent hours looking at various routes. I’ve looked at flying to Tirana, Podgorica, Prishtina, Skopje, northern Greece, flying to Italy and taking the ferry across and of course flying via just about every Central European city you can think of. Hopefully we’ll get something sorted soon.

Give me a shout when you find something decent. I never booked the £190 flights the other day and the prices have shot up as well.

48 minutes ago, Moo said:

Give me a shout when you find something decent. I never booked the £190 flights the other day and the prices have shot up as well.

It's easier said than done, but if you have the flexibility, think of coming for more than the three days around the game (15th - 18th November). That should give you a few less costly options on the routes you have quoted.

It's easier said than done, but if you have the flexibility, think of coming for more than the three days around the game (15th - 18th November). That should give you a few less costly options on the routes you have quoted.
Good shout as also thinking of attending. What's Albania like for a weeks holiday; much to see? And what's the weather like in November?

42 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Good shout as also thinking of attending. What's Albania like for a weeks holiday; much to see? And what's the weather like in November?

Plenty to see for sure, if you are interested. 

PM me and I'll happily give you more suggestions from direct experience. After 8 years, there are plenty of options to tell you about.

Weather can be hit and miss at that time of the year, but a comfortable 12 - 15 in temperature.

16 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

They played three WC 2018 qualifiers in Shkodra (Macedonia, Spain and Italy), but checking back they have never played any Euro qualifiers there, which leads to the thought that Shkodra may be FIFA compliant but not UEFA compliant despite having a higher capacity than Elbasan.

Loro Borici in Shkoder wasn't completed until after the last Euro qualifiers were played. It's also worth noting that the home game against Israel (June '97) was due to be played in Shkoder but was moved for "security reasons".  Loro Borici is also used by the Kosovo national team.

37 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Loro Borici in Shkoder wasn't completed until after the last Euro qualifiers were played. It's also worth noting that the home game against Israel (June '97) was due to be played in Shkoder but was moved for "security reasons".  Loro Borici is also used by the Kosovo national team.

Thanks for that!

17 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Plenty to see for sure, if you are interested. 

PM me and I'll happily give you more suggestions from direct experience. After 8 years, there are plenty of options to tell you about.

Weather can be hit and miss at that time of the year, but a comfortable 12 - 15 in temperature.

Were you in Tbilisi for Georgia away? Might have briefly chatted in the Hanger Bar one afternoon.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

I was - but please forgive me, for the life of me I cannot remember the Hangar bar!!

I avoided it when the Tartan Army arrived but it was about the only sports bar in town. Big beer garden. There was a guy I chatted to for a bit who was helping Albanians know how to deal with Western businesses and normal rules of governance etc. Can't imagine there's too many Scots expats in Albania! Could be wrong.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I avoided it when the Tartan Army arrived but it was about the only sports bar in town. Big beer garden. There was a guy I chatted to for a bit who was helping Albanians know how to deal with Western businesses and normal rules of governance etc. Can't imagine there's too many Scots expats in Albania! Could be wrong.

Sounds like it probably was me as that's what I earn my corn for.

In my time in Tirana I was one of three Scottish expats, myself, one at the Tory Embassy and one in the construction industry. As Diego Diego has shown, there will certainly have been others outwith the capital.

On 27/01/2018 at 17:35, welshbairn said:

Were you in Tbilisi for Georgia away? Might have briefly chatted in the Hanger Bar one afternoon.

On 27/01/2018 at 18:16, Barney Rubble said:

I was - but please forgive me, for the life of me I cannot remember the Hangar bar!!

welshbairn and his rohpynol laced cocktails still working well.

Glasgow - Berlin - Tel Aviv - 10th of October

Tel Aviv - Berlin - Glasgow - 12th of October

£195 using Ryanair and El Israel Airlines.

Just over an hour to Haifa and Jerusalem so shouldn't matter where the game is played.  Only down side is arriving in Tel Aviv at 0320. 

Nothing set in stone for Albania but if I do go ahead it'll be a flying visit due to work, probably arriving on the 17th and back home the 18th which isn't ideal. Seem to be a few reasonably priced routes if you can put up without direct flights.  

Archived