Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

23 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The longer this saga drags on the more I wish we had just kept Strachan.

I know he had two failed campaigns and a few errors in there but the team were playing the best stuff for ten years, and there's no doubt the players were behind him.

I wasn't as opposed to Strachan as some, but he had 2 great chances to qualify and messed both up due to poor judgement and stubbornness, he deserved to go.

There are literally hundreds of potential managers if the SFA actually had the capability to do some research. Michael O'Neill, even Chris Coleman, show that you don't need to have done much at club level to be a success at International level, even a clown like Lawrie Sanchez did well at Northern Ireland. Unfortunately the SFA will limit their search to the lazy, predictable obvious names touted by the media like McLeish or Mackay when they should have already had a succession plan with various names to go once Strachan had gone. Given we've been failing for 20 years there is no excuse for them not to have already been planning for the next manager. And by planning, I mean more than looking across the water and saying 'we'll take him', only for them to get rejected and have nothing.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So people are still suggesting that we should have rewarded multiple failures? Fucking hell.

I don’t really care about the past all I care about is who is the most likely candidate to get us to euro 2020. We know the sfa are in charge thus the adventurous appointment is not going to happen. So who would be more likely to get us qualified ? Strachan ? Mackay? Mcleish? Or Clarke ? That’s pretty much our choices. In my opinion it’s Strachan. As I’ve said before scotland fans wanted brown and Roxburgh out as well who actually got us to major tourneys!!! Strachan has a section of fans who seem to have an unjustified hatred towards him - the Celtic fans never took to him either even though guided them to last 16 of champions league something Brendan Rogers hasn’t come close to.

29 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

He shouldn’t have gone unbeaten in 2017 momentum on our side and the players behind him. Plus it’s obvious now that the manager we appoint isn’t going to be as good.

Unless we appoint you, there is nothing to suggest we'll wind up with someone worse than Strachan.

1 minute ago, skippy2015 said:

His win percentage taking out interim managers was 47.5 percent. The second highest since tommy docherty. (Mcleish the highest at 70)

And he fucked it in achievable groups, making him a multiple time failure and giving the SFA no choice but to get rid of him.

As I've said. Who we replace him with is completely irrelevant regardless of competence. Keeping him on would give the impression to everyone that failure is fine. From the players, to the manager to the supporters.

Not saying Strachan was brilliant just didn’t see the point of sacking him when in 2017 we had won 4 drawn 2 and don’t understand the hatred towards him- think it’s more of the way he comes across rubs fans up the wrong way!!! Also we have short memories remember burley and Levein players pulling out constantly . One thing about Strachan is he had the team behind him.

3 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Not saying Strachan was brilliant just didn’t see the point of sacking him when in 2017 we had won 4 drawn 2 and don’t understand the hatred towards him- think it’s more of the way he comes across rubs fans up the wrong way!!! Also we have short memories remember burley and Levein players pulling out constantly . One thing about Strachan is he had the team behind him.

And the upshot was the same: failure.

The only difference is that Strachan's predecessors were not allowed to fail for as long.   

There is nothing short about my memory, which helps make any questioning of Strachan's eventual dismissal completely laughable.

So we have had 10 failed campaigns in a row - changing the manager obviously isn’t a winning formula we wanted brown out then vogts out smith failed Mcleish failed then left we wanted burley out Levein out and then Strachan our. As Scotland fans we really need to start looking at the bigger picture. It’s not always the managers fault. Yes Strachan made some errors but In 2017 we were on the up and felt we finally had momentum and I felt he was picking the correct team. By sacking him we have a lesser chance of qualifying and that’s all I’m concerned about

And he fucked it in achievable groups, making him a multiple time failure and giving the SFA no choice but to get rid of him.
As I've said. Who we replace him with is completely irrelevant regardless of competence. Keeping him on would give the impression to everyone that failure is fine. From the players, to the manager to the supporters.

So the manager solely to blame again nothing to do with the players performances, a half empty hampden a and lack of support from fans, govt funding, the sfa, youth development, facilities, the league set up etc- guaranteed that you also wanted brown Roxburgh Levein burley out to. The next manager you will prob also be wanting sacked within half a campaign. We are on a different page obviously here in my opinion you don’t sack a manager who’s on the up as I said 4 wins 2 draws in 2017 with the team behind him doesn’t make sense.

I won't want any manager sacked after half a campaign as it simply isn't enough games. Maybe not even a campaign failed given the performances.

The manager constantly talked his players down and said he didn't have quality. He openly treates games against better opposition as games we couldn't win. We were the ONLY team above Georgia who dropped any points against them, let alone actually lose to them. We dropped points against Lithuania AT HOME, and also got royally pumped away at Slovakia, who while decent, aren't that much better that a 3-0 loss is acceptable.

Dropping points against diddies is not acceptable, nor is treating teams with too much respect when you are capable of beating them. All of this is fine though, and should be rewarded in your eyes. Of course, it really isn't, and no matter how shit the next manager might be, that will never change.

18 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

So we have had 10 failed campaigns in a row - changing the manager obviously isn’t a winning formula we wanted brown out then vogts out smith failed Mcleish failed then left we wanted burley out Levein out and then Strachan our. As Scotland fans we really need to start looking at the bigger picture. It’s not always the managers fault. Yes Strachan made some errors but In 2017 we were on the up and felt we finally had momentum and I felt he was picking the correct team. By sacking him we have a lesser chance of qualifying and that’s all I’m concerned about

You're just jibbering rubbish.

Smith didn't complete a full campaign and neither did McLeish so they didn't fail in the sense you suggest.

This idea that anyone advocating managerial change is effectively saying that management can be the only possible factor; is so infantile, so brain dead that it really merits no further attention.

I won't want any manager sacked after half a campaign as it simply isn't enough games. Maybe not even a campaign failed given the performances.
The manager constantly talked his players down and said he didn't have quality. He openly treates games against better opposition as games we couldn't win. We were the ONLY team above Georgia who dropped any points against them, let alone actually lose to them. We dropped points against Lithuania AT HOME, and also got royally pumped away at Slovakia, who while decent, aren't that much better that a 3-0 loss is acceptable.
Dropping points against diddies is not acceptable, nor is treating teams with too much respect when you are capable of beating them. All of this is fine though, and should be rewarded in your eyes. Of course, it really isn't, and no matter how shit the next manager might be, that will never change.

In terms of stating talked his players down - do you mean in front of press ?unless you were privy to the conversations and interactions had with players on a daily basis ( you do realise that communicating with the press is different to actually the man management of the team?) in any case since his sacking majority of squad have come out and stated how good a manager he was and can’t think of anyone apart from those not making the squad who had a bad word to say about him. In treating games against better opposition as games we couldn’t win- in 17 we drew with England should have beat them and beat Slovakia ranked much higher - we beat Croatia twice who were ranked top 10 - Germany away and home we hardly sat back created a load of chances and if anything we were to slack at the back. England away we were good and took the game to them for 60 70 mins. Lithuania at home was terrible wrong team selection in that game Burke was terrible he caved into fans there - not playing Griffiths etc. Georgia slightly different a tough away game took points from Austria ireland and Wales in World Cup qualifying. When you actually analyse it on a game to game basis a lot of your points above incorrect.

32 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

In terms of stating talked his players down - do you mean in front of press ?unless you were privy to the conversations and interactions had with players on a daily basis ( you do realise that communicating with the press is different to actually the man management of the team?) in any case since his sacking majority of squad have come out and stated how good a manager he was and can’t think of anyone apart from those not making the squad who had a bad word to say about him. In treating games against better opposition as games we couldn’t win- in 17 we drew with England should have beat them and beat Slovakia ranked much higher - we beat Croatia twice who were ranked top 10 - Germany away and home we hardly sat back created a load of chances and if anything we were to slack at the back. England away we were good and took the game to them for 60 70 mins. Lithuania at home was terrible wrong team selection in that game Burke was terrible he caved into fans there - not playing Griffiths etc. Georgia slightly different a tough away game took points from Austria ireland and Wales in World Cup qualifying. When you actually analyse it on a game to game basis a lot of your points above incorrect.

Burke did alright against Lithuania and Strachan got booed for hooking him.

In a display of the thin skinned petulance for which he became increasingly noted, Strachan then left him unstripped for the next game, one he said required experience and in which we crumpled to a pitiful 3-0 defeat.

Archived