Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Wenger reportedly about to take over as Bayern Munich manager anyway

Hmm...

Picture-book Munich or "rustic" Glasgow?

Englischergarten or f**k the English?

Historic beer halls or Wetherspoons?

The Allianz or Hampden?

Sensible, well-run business or...whatever the f**k the SFA are?

Tough choice.

EDIT: And just to add, there wasn't even a tiny chance that the SFA would offer him a role, even if they wanted a new manager (they don't) or the new guy wanted to come (he doesn't)

For those saying, pushing the boat out doesn't attract a higher calibre of manager, you just need to look at China. China have Marcelo Lippi as manager and Guus Hiddink as their U21 boss.

I'm not saying we can compete for China for the likes of them, but they're certainly not just there for the 'project'.

For those saying, pushing the boat out doesn't attract a higher calibre of manager, you just need to look at China. China have Marcelo Lippi as manager and Guus Hiddink as their U21 boss.
I'm not saying we can compete for China for the likes of them, but they're certainly not just there for the 'project'.

Comparison of Scotland with China. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lovely stuff.

53 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We pay quite well as far as I understand, at least in National team terms.  I doubt we are anywhere near the sort of cash that must've been waved at them to get involved though.  Plus I'd imagine there's less pressure in a role like that - they won't have fans or a media with delusions of grandeur, and although they'd likely have more pressure from the FA, I'm not sure their expectations will be too high.

Missed the point entirely.

Lovely stuff.

Come on then, what’s your point caller?

China have bags of money, bags of potential, and a billion people to pick from.

Scotland have nae money (but possibly a boat we can push somewhere - the Clyde? If it’svthe SFA’s boat it will sink), little potential, and a small population.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Come on then, what’s your point caller?

China have bags of money, bags of potential, and a billion people to pick from.

Scotland have nae money (but possibly a boat we can push somewhere - the Clyde? If it’svthe SFA’s boat it will sink), little potential, and a small population.

My point is fairly simple, the more money we can pay, the higher quality candidate we can bring in.

There were a few people saying it doesn't matter how much money we throw at a manager, it would not have an impact on the calibre of manager we can bring in. My point was that in the case of China and Republic of Ireland with Trappatoni - throwing money at someone can attract a better than usual candidate.

Businessmen helped us purchase Hampden. If we cultivate business interest, we can surely put a package together that can allow us to fish higher than the Alex McLeish market of the world.

That, was my point.

Wonder if Prandelli would still be interested, his recent record has probably damaged his chances of many clubs taking him on anyway. 

Even if we did end up being in a position of looking for another manager soon we'd probably still go for someone like Jim McIntyre.

My point is fairly simple, the more money we can pay, the higher quality candidate we can bring in.
There were a few people saying it doesn't matter how much money we throw at a manager, it would not have an impact on the calibre of manager we can bring in. My point was that in the case of China and Republic of Ireland with Trappatoni - throwing money at someone can attract a better than usual candidate.
Businessmen helped us purchase Hampden. If we cultivate business interest, we can surely put a package together that can allow us to fish higher than the Alex McLeish market of the world.
That, was my point.

Are you suggesting a foreign coach or a British coach? The SFA seem to be stuck on Scottish coaches.

The SFA have had a few chances to appoint another non-Scottish coach and they haven’t taken it.

If the SFA would seriously consider a non-Scottish coach - would these high calibre coaches be willing to fanny about trying to get Scotland to a tournament, when we have such a dearth of talent to call on?

Would you be confident in the SFA appointing the right coach?

More money may help but it’s only one part of it.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Are you suggesting a foreign coach or a British coach? The SFA seem to be stuck on Scottish coaches.

The SFA have had a few chances to appoint another non-Scottish coach and they haven’t taken it.

If the SFA would seriously consider a non-Scottish coach - would these high calibre coaches be willing to fanny about trying to get Scotland to a tournament, when we have such a dearth of talent to call on?

Fair points. No I wouldn't trust the SFA. Does anyone these days? 

We know that Prandelli applied last time round. Did he even get an interview before we appointed McLeish? 

Imagine choosing Alex McLeish over Cesare Prandelli.

And that's without us throwing money about.

14 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Honestly, I think the Hamish Husband element of the support holds a great deal of influence in that regard.  You'd expect the SFA to be able to look beyond that, but we've just seen Dundee fans' opinion prevent their new manager from appointing his assistant of choice.

Aye we need to forget  about the SFA appointing a non Scottish manager because they're horrible morons who think that because Vogts failed all non Scottish managers will fail.

Abysmal attempt at logic but it's want they believe.  Wouldn't be surprised if many of the blazers were xenophobic. Seems like their speed.

Honestly, I think the Hamish Husband element of the support holds a great deal of influence in that regard.  You'd expect the SFA to be able to look beyond that, but we've just seen Dundee fans' opinion prevent their new manager from appointing his assistant of choice.

I’m not sure it’s just that. I think it would be tacitly admitting that their coaching courses have failed to produce a suitable Scottish coach.

I suppose the evidence we can’t produce decent enough players or coaches is there for all to see with 10 failed goes at qualifying for a tournament, but still.

Archived