Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not bothered about Faddy. The assistant is there to take training and be a good c**t to everyone. McCoist was a cracking assistant.

Heard his interview. Annoying as f**k. Banging on about the EPL and already saying his last squad was better what kind of attitude is that to have what will the players think.

The core of our team and best players are playing in Scotland. Gtf with this EPL obsession.

Was mccoist a good assistant though?  Taking training is extremely important, not some trivial thing to be dismissed 

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not bothered about Faddy. The assistant is there to take training and be a good c**t to everyone. McCoist was a cracking assistant.

Heard his interview. Annoying as f**k. Banging on about the EPL and already saying his last squad was better what kind of attitude is that to have what will the players think.

The core of our team and best players are playing in Scotland. Gtf with this EPL obsession.

Yeah the squad comparison thing was a bit dodgy. he was asked the question and I suppose he could have gone down the trite route of bigging up his current squad, but instead he was honest and explained why he thought the 2008 squad was better. Personally, I would have made the comparison between strength/size vs speed without explicitly saying I felt the 2008 squad was better, e.g. "both strong squads, just different"

Was mccoist a good assistant though?  Taking training is extremely important, not some trivial thing to be dismissed 

Very successful when he was assistant last time. Faddy wouldn’t be the only guy there either aswell. Be a younger guy and an older guy I’m guessing.

I’d really like having Faddy there, I’m 25 and he is my favourite Scotland player, sure the same will go for a lot of the squad, maybe provide that wee bit of inspiration for the players.

Yeah the squad comparison thing was a bit dodgy. he was asked the question and I suppose he could have gone down the trite route of bigging up his current squad, but instead he was honest and explained why he thought the 2008 squad was better. Personally, I would have made the comparison between strength/size vs speed without explicitly saying I felt the 2008 squad was better, e.g. "both strong squads, just different"

I think our squad is better now overall apart from centre half.

I think the EPL was just poorer back then, it’s so much more international now and the money has become insane. The lower half EPL teams are amongst the richest in the world even ahead of a lot of Europe’s massive clubs.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah the squad comparison thing was a bit dodgy. he was asked the question and I suppose he could have gone down the trite route of bigging up his current squad, but instead he was honest and explained why he thought the 2008 squad was better.

Which was the wrong thing to do.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

When a manager does that they are just making excuses for their own failure incase it happens.  I hate that it's so negative and unhelpful, such a bad vibe to create around the squad and deflates confidence.

Can you imagine if Scott brown said in a press conference well our last manager was much better so it will be harder to qualify this time with an inferior one now.

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Very successful when he was assistant last time. Faddy wouldn’t be the only guy there either aswell. Be a younger guy and an older guy I’m guessing.

I’d really like having Faddy there, I’m 25 and he is my favourite Scotland player, sure the same will go for a lot of the squad, maybe provide that wee bit of inspiration for the players.

Were we?  I must have missed that.  And no proof any 'success' was down to mccoist.

Were we?  I must have missed that.  And no proof any 'success' was down to mccoist.

Under Smith we were pretty decent. Was that not when he was assistant?

Haha I don’t think any success was down to him because I don’t think the assistant manager role in international football is overly important at all. If you’re competent and a good guy that helps keep the squad morale up then good enough for me.

The right time for who though?
Let's appoint Jimmy Calderwood. We've got a good squad coming through, so it's the right time to do it. We can worry about getting competent managers later.

What are you on about?

I said it might be a good time for whoever takes the job. I made it clear I thought it was a lazy and crap appointment.

I'm concerned by his health and by his recent record in whatever jobs he's had.

But bang average managers have achieved success in football. And plenty of very high managers have also failed. There's absolutely no guarantees. It might still work out.

7 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I took to the popular website pof.com to find out what people thought about the appointment of Alex McLeish.

Unsurprisingly most people there didn't know what I was talking about.

"What's your opinion of the current Scotland manager?" strikes me as a brilliant opening line for whittling down contenders on a dating website. Well played.

What are you on about?

I said it might be a good time for whoever takes the job. I made it clear I thought it was a lazy and crap appointment.

I'm concerned by his health and by his recent record in whatever jobs he's had.

But bang average managers have achieved success in football. And plenty of very high managers have also failed. There's absolutely no guarantees. It might still work out.

His health?

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Sorry but that is a ridiculous comment. How do you know? There are literally hundreds of potential managers and you think none of them could be a better option? Clowns like Lawrie Sanchez and Chris Coleman were successful at international level, it's not about finding the next Alex Ferguson, it's about doing a bit of research and finding guys who have the qualities you are looking for even if they aren't the most fashionable.

I think what's frustrated most people, certainly me, is that McLeish is just the easy, lazy option, and that there has been no proper research and thought into possible candidates. If they'd done that and still concluded that McLeish was the best option then I wouldn't have agreed, but would have thought fair enough. But they haven't.

And how can you expect him to care about introducing the younger players when he's only on a 2 year contract? He isn't going to be around to see the benefits of introducing guys like Lindsay, Hendry, McKenna etc (especially if it goes wrong) so why would he take the risk? He'll revert to the older, tried and failed guys, so in two years time when someone else comes in we'll be two years behind in the rebuilding cycle.

It's not down to me to prove the existence of unicorns, fairies and better Scotland managers than Alex McLeish. 

No better or more credible manager put themselves forward.  If they did, show me who it was and I'll  be happy to amend my opinion.

While you are plucking names out of the ether based on the assumption that they wanted the job, I'll remind you that McLeish beat France in Paris and absolutely humped Shevchenko era Ukraine.

You'd think we'd appointed someone with absolutely no pedigree whatsoever.  What were the other options again?

Archived