Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He needs a quickfire rapid start or he’s fucked. It won’t take more than a couple of ropey results for the fans to turn. That’s another reason it’s a poor choice. A newcomer would have been given leeway. 

A win against Albania and win against Israel and this is all forgotten about for a while. I don’t like it, but it’s happened and we just have to hope.

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Totally different being full back and left wing.

Perfect opportunity to test things in a friendly.    

Nothing could be worse than Matt Phillips playing on the wing.    We could have been settling down to Scotland in Russia if Strachan picked sensible wingers like Fraser, McKay.  

Perfect opportunity to test things in a friendly.    

Nothing could be worse than Matt Phillips playing on the wing.    We could have been settling down to Scotland in Russia if Strachan picked sensible wingers like Fraser, McKay.  

I agree I’m not a huge fan of Phillips. Just think Robertson’s main strength is overlapping at pace and coming from deeper.

Think Tierney is very good centre half too. Think that’s the solution personally.

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I agree I’m not a huge fan of Phillips. Just think Robertson’s main strength is overlapping at pace and coming from deeper.

Think Tierney is very good centre half too. Think that’s the solution personally.

You make a fair point.   

If McLeish selected Robertson at LB and Tierney CB, I'd hope for a 5 man defence.    It would Allow Callum Paterson to be selected at Wing Back, as he's incapable of playing RB.  

You make a fair point.   

If McLeish selected Robertson at LB and Tierney CB, I'd hope for a 5 man defence.    It would Allow Callum Paterson to be selected at Wing Back, as he's incapable of playing RB.  

Could be a shout

Russell Martin / Lindsay
Berra
Tierney

Patterson/Forrest playing well here for Celtic..
Robertson

Brown
Armstrong
Morrison/McGinn

McGregor

Griffiths

I think we’ve got a lot of decent players going forward and not sure McLeish will go for that, can see us setting up to be stuffy again when we’ve no got players for it

25 minutes ago, an86 said:

He needs a quickfire rapid start or he’s fucked. It won’t take more than a couple of ropey results for the fans to turn. That’s another reason it’s a poor choice. A newcomer would have been given leeway. 

Spot on.

He has to do well from the off because for various reasons, there are no real reserves of goodwill for him.  This places him under immense pressure.

All his recent predecessors, Burley, Levein and Strachan arrived in the post accompanied by some optimism and a sense of endorsement.  In varying amounts of time, that soured for each of them, but the goodwill did exist at the outset.  

McLeish doesn't even have that.  He cannot afford an iffy start at all.

Never have i seen such a negative reaction to a Scotland manager ( for so many different reasons ) , and i can understand why.. It is the easiest option  , not in work , needs work , media friendly , done the job before , well liked  and respected within SFA  circles etc ..After watching that media cringe earlier ( McRae ) , and all the usual suspects like Craig Brown , Gordon Smith  telling us what a great appointment it is , no  wonder people use phrases like  "jobs for the boys " and " old pals  act "....Supporting Scotland has always been  about the 11 guys on the park for me but like a lot of other fans its wearing thin because of the people in charge of our game..I cannot blame Big Eck, i really hope he succeeds, i want Scotland  to win football matches , i will probably go to Albania  BUT from that first game  v,s  Costa Rica  he will have to be seen to be building a team that can progress together for a few years..We need to be looking at least 4 years ahead and giving starts to the most promising players , whatever club they play for .. Can Mcleish do that ??/ good luck

9 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Sorry but you're talking absolute complete and utter shite.  If you want to gauge how good our squad is compared to others look at what the players earn not who they play for.  That's a much better measure, as judging clubs is entirely subjective and players are professionals who follow the money as everybody does

If you do that, you'll find, for example, players at decent championship clubs (as a lot of our players are and you just dismissed as shite) earn more than players at udinese etc.  Ergo they are better players.  Scotland are not nearly as bad as you make out.

The problem has always been the manager, we've always had players good enough to qualify.  

After twenty years, this is an incredible position to take. We've constantly changed the coach.

We've gone with popular choices, unpopular choices, Rangers men, Celtic men, non-OF men, we've even gone foreign. We've had coaches who have won leagues and cups, we've had coaches who have won promotions, we've had coaches who have had good runs in the Champions League, we've had a coach who was manager of the year in England, we've had a coach who's won the Euros before.

But it's never worked. To blame the managers is insanity.

Scotland could have appointed Pep fucking Guardiola and it wouldn't alter the fact that we need fundamental change to the entire structure of the game and its governing bodies. How this is done, like @Dunning1874 alluded to in his post a few pages back, without giving too much power to the bigger Clubs or ending up with the current status quo where self serving prevents any change or progress is open to debate and as critical as any changes made. 

Perhaps we need a ruthless dictator.......just one with good ideas that we all agree with!

O'Neil didn't want it and Clarke will have something better lined up next season.  

No one of any calibre came forward and McLeish was probably the best of the bunch.  

You can all imagine in your little heads that their was some Thorbjorn Icelandsson out there was could have come in a totally turned our game around but there just wasn't.

As for Scotland, while we are miles behind the top nations we aren't miles behind most of the rest.  We need one extra win per qualifying campaign and we are in with a real shot and we've been that way for most of our qualifying failures.  Thin lines and all that.  If we can get just a little bit extra out the team its totally possible.

The SFA has a lot of faults but criticising them for picking the best available guy for the job is a bit harsh.  There wasn't anyone else.

Pathetic appointment. It's got the incompetent hands of Petrie and McRae all over it.

McLeish is a tax dodging cheat who got an EBT to the tune of £1.7m whilst being deeply immersed in the biggest financial scandal in British sporting history.

This appointment sums up the corruption of the SFA, an organisation not for for purpose.

5 hours ago, JTS98 said:

After twenty years, this is an incredible position to take. We've constantly changed the coach.

We've gone with popular choices, unpopular choices, Rangers men, Celtic men, non-OF men, we've even gone foreign. We've had coaches who have won leagues and cups, we've had coaches who have won promotions, we've had coaches who have had good runs in the Champions League, we've had a coach who was manager of the year in England, we've had a coach who's won the Euros before.

But it's never worked. To blame the managers is insanity.

Have we had a really good manager in that time?  Qualifying is a matter of one or two goals in one or at most two games.  For every single tournament we've missed worse teams than us have qualified.  A good coach can easily make that happen difference.  There hasn't been a single tournament where we simply didn't have players good enough to qualify.  

We've had managers who've won leagues and cups with the old firm which my mum could do.  

Archived