Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Well I for one am still gonna go. And if we  do make it to Euro2020 with games being played at Hampden demand will be through the cantilever roof.

Presumably Euro 2020 finals tickets won't be sold through the SSC, though, tbf?

Sorry but you're talking absolute complete and utter shite.  If you want to gauge how good our squad is compared to others look at what the players earn not who they play for.  That's a much better measure, as judging clubs is entirely subjective and players are professionals who follow the money as everybody does
If you do that, you'll find, for example, players at decent championship clubs (as a lot of our players are and you just dismissed as shite) earn more than players at udinese etc.  Ergo they are better players.  Scotland are not nearly as bad as you make out.

The problem has always been the manager, we've always had players good enough to qualify.  

Sorry but this is just pish.

We've appointed someone not remotely sought after by anybody.
If he hadn't been offered this, it's very likely that he wouldn't have worked in football management again.  It's so lazy, so lacking in imagination, or even thought.  
It's as if there's been a collective shrugging and giving up.  

I almost feel sorry for McLeish himself because he's an unpopular appointment and is on a hiding to nothing.  I don't though - I feel more sorry for the rest of us. 

It's about percentages remember though.

Mccleish could well shock us and get us qualified. Stranger things have happened in football.

But it's such a depressing appointment, and that's without the possible health issues.

Has anyone linked to him sounded slurred on TV yet? The one that was posted last night didn't seem as bad.

That comment about only having two or three players in the Premiership - there are NINE getting game time!

McArthur, Ritchie, Fraser, Adam, Bardsley, Burke, Morrison, Phillips and Fletcher.

Add to that those more than capable of playing at that level - Snodgrass, (now he is back on form) Tierney, Brown, Armstrong, Griffiths and possibly even Forrest on recent form and we have a squad move than capable of competing with the likes of Denmark, Slovenia, Slovakia etc.

What will be most interesting will be how McLeish sets up that defence and how he goes about getting both Tierney and Robertson in the side.

8 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I don't really see the problem, to be honest.

McLeish has a decent cv as a manager. Good spells with Motherwell and Hibs, leagues, cups and a decent run in Europe with Rangers, won a cup in England. That's pretty strong. Of course there have been failures, but all managers have them and I'm sure they'll each have taught him something.

Also, who else were we going to get? Lennon is way too divisive a figure in Scottish football. Steve Clarke has very little experience as a number one. Malky Mackay? John Jughes? Gary Caldwell? This is the level of person who was interested in the job.

Many people are saying the SFA should have looked abroad. Ok, looked to who? What high-level, on-the-rise foreign coach in his right mind would consider the Scotland job just now?

McLeish isn't particularly exciting, but he's not a disaster either. He's a reflection of where you end up after two decades of utter failure.

He ruined that Motherwell side

No it's not, it's a meritocracy, if these Slovak players were so good for example championship clubs would be paying them 30 grand a week instead of Jordan Rhodes.  The championship is a very very highly paid league.

English leagues have a vastly inflated wage structure.

Yes it attracts many players but there are clearly very tidy players in many parts of Europe who are not on anywhere near the wages paid down south.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

English leagues have a vastly inflated wage structure.

Yes it attracts many players but there are clearly very tidy players in many parts of Europe who are not on anywhere near the wages paid down south.

That's true, but all of them would swim to England to get those wages.  It's not like they're allergic to money.  Their agents hawk them around and they go to the place that offers most money. 

He's being deceitful anyway comparing us to turkey and Czech republic they are not our peers, we actually compare pretty well to our actual peers.

Genuine question here for all Scotland fans.

im a rangers fan from the east coast(I know). I also buy the daily record. 

The daily record started a campaign recently to get rid of Stewart regan. 

In my opinion it was nothing to do with the appointment of a new manager but everything to do with taking the national stadium away from Glasgow. They ran articles which each so called reporters were giving their opinions on hampden and we were treated to phrases such as the west of Scotland is the spiritual home of Scottish football. In my opinion the old firm fans are the most undeserving fans in Scotland to have a national stadium on their doorstep. And their is no doubt in my mind the campaign to oust regan was purely because of his threat to remove Scotland games from hampden.

the Glasgow mafia including the media have too much say in Scottish football the quicker a national stadium is relocated away from their the better. 

37 minutes ago, a1974h said:

In my opinion it was nothing to do with the appointment of a new manager but everything to do with taking the national stadium away from Glasgow. They ran articles which each so called reporters were giving their opinions on hampden and we were treated to phrases such as the west of Scotland is the spiritual home of Scottish football. In my opinion the old firm fans are the most undeserving fans in Scotland to have a national stadium on their doorstep. And their is no doubt in my mind the campaign to oust regan was purely because of his threat to remove Scotland games from hampden.

the Glasgow mafia including the media have too much say in Scottish football the quicker a national stadium is relocated away from their the better. 

You come on here telling us you buy the Daily Record, then you expect some observation to be taken seriously.

No, that's not going to work.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You come on here telling us you buy the Daily Record, then you expect some observation to be taken seriously.

No, that's not going to work.

Ha !

i just buy it for research purposes.

my fav one. 

Was when they had a story about the ref who was a minister. During his congregation at church he had them all singing Simply the best. 

The paper seemingly had the story for three weeks as it happened weeks before but they waited until the Sunday morning on an old firm match before they published it. 

Just for the maximum stirring of hatred.

seriously they go on about the goldfish bowl of Scottish football buts it's created by our media.

im it was mike mclurry or something 

also on the daily record. The only reporter that not only stuck by Strachan when he was playing the likes of chris Martin in front of griffiths but was championing him was Keith Jackson. And who did Strachan give his first interview too after he left? You guessed it Keith jackson. Jobs for boys 

they must think we're all mugs.

21 minutes ago, a1974h said:

also on the daily record. The only reporter that not only stuck by Strachan when he was playing the likes of chris Martin in front of griffiths but was championing him was Keith Jackson. And who did Strachan give his first interview too after he left? You guessed it Keith jackson. Jobs for boys 

they must think we're all mugs.

Why do you buy it then?

These succulent relationships can be quite damaging, you know. ;)

What the hell is your question?

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Line-up for Brown's last competitive game:

Sullivan (31)
Dailly (28), Elliott (33), Weir (31), Boyd (36)
Burley (30), Lambert (32), Matteo (27), Naysmith (23)
Hutchison (30), Dodds (32).

Subs - McNamara (28), Cameron (29), Booth (30)

Add 2-3yrs for ages come Euro 2004.

Huge rebuild.

A big rebuild, certainly but not one that required wholesale change straight away. Vogts could have phased players out rather than calling up the likes of Robbie Stockdale and Warren Cummings.

6 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

Strachan's 2017 > McLeish's 2007

Neither were capable of winning their crucial away match in Georgia.

This is Craig Levein type progress. 

The Euro 2008 campaign was a lot more exciting than the last one. Although ultimately the same result.

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

That comment about only having two or three players in the Premiership - there are NINE getting game time!

McArthur, Ritchie, Fraser, Adam, Bardsley, Burke, Morrison, Phillips and Fletcher.

Add to that those more than capable of playing at that level - Snodgrass, (now he is back on form) Tierney, Brown, Armstrong, Griffiths and possibly even Forrest on recent form and we have a squad move than capable of competing with the likes of Denmark, Slovenia, Slovakia etc.

What will be most interesting will be how McLeish sets up that defence and how he goes about getting both Tierney and Robertson in the side.

Scott Brown isn't good enough to play in the English Premier League, which is why he has spent most of his career acting the big shot at Celtic.

Obviously the recruitment process has been shambolic and Alex McLeish is an underwhelming choice but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up doing well.

Jesus, Before Strachan was sacked I was saying on here that Mcleish didnt look well, sounded slurred on TV and and said quite bizzare things. This has disaster written all over it and I do fear Mcleish will deteriorate further. How he got beyond an interview stage is beyond me.

Archived