Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

TBH I'm ambivalent about McLeish. Give him the nations league on a one year rolling contract, with the likes of Gemmill or Alex Neil (if interested in such a role) as his team (and potential successors).

The cons:

• Going back to Eck shows a distinct lack of lateral thinking (conversely, it presents the least risk)
  • His record in the last 7 or so years is poor

The pros:

• I always thought he enjoyed a lot of luck in his first spell, but then I couldn't care less if it's luck or skill that gets us to a tournament. At least a second spell for McLeish would help answer that question that has lingered since early 2008 'what if he'd stayed?'
  • There will be no Paul Le Guen style disasters - McLeish knows the game in Scotland and the UK. I realise this is a double-edged sword, but perhaps on balance and given 99% of our playing pool are here it's the least risky direction to take.

So there. I'm neither crying nor cock-helicoptering. If it's McLeish then hey ho.

I just see this as a period of transition, we need to phase the older guys out and break younger guys in and I'm just not convinced McLeish is the guy to oversee that. He's not properly been involved in the game for years now, jumping from doing one shit job to another. Contrast him with Steve Clarke who is developing a fairly young squad at Kilmarnock, has vast experience at top clubs in Europe and is relatively young in manager terms, I'm honestly fucking baffled that we've not even approached Clarke for a chat, but that is the height of the SFA's imagination. I mean we've spoken to Gary fucking Caldwell but we won't speak to a guy who's been assistant at Chelsea, Newcastle, West Ham, Liverpool and Aston Villa as well as having a decent track record in management in his own right.

McLeish is another of the "Scotland needs a strong Rangers and Celtic to survive" club too. It's more of the same for me when we've got a real chance to take things in a different direction. If McLeish gets announced I really don't think I'll have any enthusiasm for the Nations League or the next campaign.

John Hughes is a total goon and should not be taken seriously. 

As for McLeish being appointed, meh. I have no feelings on this. I think we'll be no worse or better off than sticking with Chesney with this appointment. It's probably the safest, most realistic option, which is 100% why they're going for him. Steve Clark would have been my choice but there's honestly no-one out there willing to take the job that can generate some sort of excitement.

Guest DAVIDB69

Mcleish step back in time , doesn’t seem to be in great health either which is a concern.

More concern is that he hasn’t really done a good job anywhere for the best part of 8 years

"why don't the sfa hire a foreign manager?" 

"tried that route with Vogts, didn't qualify for anything" 

"oh, fair enough, who have the hired then?" 

"the same manager who failed to qualify for anything ten years ago" 

Welcome to Scottish Football. 

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Way things are going, bring back the selection committee, quite frankly.

It's taken them about five months to hire a manager, imagine them selecting a 23 man squad. 

What are people basing their assessments of McLeish's issues on? I know his demeanour on telly/the radio has changed slightly and he talks a bit different, but he's not exactly a spring chicken. Is there some sort of well publicised alcoholism I've missed?

Archived