Next Scotland Manager Mk II

jagfox

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We always talk about it, but if one of these horrific theoretical appointments does come to fruition, do we think the TA will actually vote with their feet and they'll see a large decrease in tickets and memberships bought? What % of Scotland fans are those who will sign up and pay regardless? 

10 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

What's the objections to Scot Gemmill? Seems to be well thought of as a coach. 

I actually think Smith might be the worst suggestion of the lot, and that's saying something. 

Erm his never having managed a professional football team might be a decent starting place

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

We always talk about it, but if one of these horrific theoretical appointments does come to fruition, do we think the TA will actually vote with their feet and they'll see a large decrease in tickets and memberships bought? What % of Scotland fans are those who will sign up and pay regardless? 

No, because they've just reduced the mebership by a big fiver and also increased the members ticket discount from £3 to a big fiver !!!

Of course, we do have the small issue of having no idea where our home matches are going to be played.............

48 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Going by the people I go with I'd guess 95%

2 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

What's the objections to Scot Gemmill? Seems to be well thought of as a coach. 

I actually think Smith might be the worst suggestion of the lot, and that's saying something. 

Mine are entirely about having watched his youth team and, particularly, the under 21s.  Utterly clueless.  They really do look criminally mismanaged. The one good result - against the Netherlands - was a freak.  Their defenders seemed determined to gift the game to Scotland.    Also, his name's Scotland.   I realise that's his parents' fault, but, still.  

Slightly more seriously, the coaching system in this country is a joke, and he's merely another who has come through the same tried-and-tested failures.  Scotland needs a radical change, and Malky Mackay, Walter Smith and Scotland Gemmil isn't going to bring that.  

ETA: just read that Malky is back in contention.  I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying that I'm done if he's the next manager.  Anyone else, more or less, I'll tolerate the pain, but I find it inexcusable that he's performance director, let alone manager.

I am hoping there is somebody at the SFA that has a cool head. The last thing we need is for panic to set-in and appoint some of the muppets mentioned over the last week or so, just to get somebody in.  

There is no point rushing into a bad appointment.

I think Regan would have reacted like Yolanda in the scene above, after O’Neill turned us down. 

Mine are entirely about having watched his youth team and, particularly, the under 21s.  Utterly clueless.  They really do look criminally mismanaged. The one good result - against the Netherlands - was a freak.  Their defenders seemed determined to gift the game to Scotland.    Also, his name's Scotland.   I realise that's his parents' fault, but, still.  
Slightly more seriously, the coaching system in this country is a joke, and he's merely another who has come through the same tried-and-tested failures.  Scotland needs a radical change, and Malky Mackay, Walter Smith and Scotland Gemmil isn't going to bring that.  

ETA: just read that Malky is back in contention.  I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying that I'm done if he's the next manager.  Anyone else, more or less, I'll tolerate the pain, but I find it inexcusable that he's performance director, let alone manager.

^^^ most of this

One thing to add, potentially good coaches in Scotland and lost because of jobs that go to ex professionals with zero ability, such as Barry Ferguson

1 minute ago, ayrshire_nomad said:

^^^ most of this

One thing to add, potentially good coaches in Scotland and lost because of jobs that go to ex professionals with zero ability, such as Barry Ferguson

Yup.  But Barry and chums went on a coaching course, so it's okay.

15 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m not sure any single person being appointed as manager could stop me from supporting my country, but if it is Malky then it will be incredibly close and I’m not sure what I’d do. I would be utterly fuming.

It'd be the only one that would stop me. A shite appointment based on ability is a completely different thing to me, and I'd hope that the manager would prove me wrong in that instance. I simply couldn't give a f**k what sort of results Malky Mackay would get.

I’m not sure any single person being appointed as manager could stop me from supporting my country, but if it is Malky then it will be incredibly close and I’m not sure what I’d do. I would be utterly fuming.

It may not stop me supporting my country, but it would stop me from renewing my membership.

It'd be the only one that would stop me. A shite appointment based on ability is a completely different thing to me, and I'd hope that the manager would prove me wrong in that instance. I simply couldn't give a f**k what sort of results Malky Mackay would get.

Right. I find it hard to believe even the SFA would take that route, but... here we are.

Every day I get more angry with what I'm hearing and reading. An incompetent, unimaginative, rudderless leadership and a subserviant media who will move heaven and earth to get one of their mates in the Scottish football lads club the job. There's not many of the names on the list who don't have me tearing my hair out, but there's only one that would make me not go to games. Malky Mackay's reemergence into contention for the job is deeply troubling.

Let's remember what this guy actually said;

On the arrival of South Korean international Kim Bo-Kyung:

'Fkn chinkys. Fk it. There's enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around.'

On Phil Smith, football agent:

'Go on, fat Phil. Nothing like a Jew that sees money slipping through his fingers'

On a list of transfer targets:

'Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering.'

On a player's female agent:

'I hope she's looking after your needs. I bet you'd love a bounce on her falsies.'

On an official at another club:

'He's a snake, a gay snake. Not to be trusted'

The fact that he was given the performance director job was a big enough disgrace, but If he's appointed as the figurehead of our national team we're sending out a message to ethnic minorities, Jews and young women and the LGBT community that says that our national team is not for them. Our national team must be for everyone and people from every single background should feel comfortable coming to Hampden to support Scotland. That would be utterly impossible under Malky Mackay.  In terms of qualifications and a CV, he may very well be a suitable coach. However, he is most certainly not a suitable man. I love going to games, but the SFA wouldn't get a single penny from me during his tenure.

The SFA cannot, of course, base their decision on the emotions and opinions of football supporters, but they absolutely must at least listen to what they are saying. Ticket sales are going to become more and more difficult as this Thursday night/Sunday afternoon nonsense continues and it's the fans who generate the income. There's a big wide world out there and we don't seem to have managed to widen our net further than a 25 mile radius of Hampden in pursuit of a manager. That, in itself, is utterly damning of an organisation that simply is not fit for purpose.

Archived