Your team's penalty taker (Is he any good?)

12 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Quite true. I was thinking that was before Arfield but maybe it wisnae? :unsure2:

Probably before. Arfield took the number 10 after the wee genius left. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Tidser scored 2 against the Midden then missed 1 against Livi. Harkins has taken over and scored from all 5 of his (albeit against Falkirk he needed the rebound).

You've had 8 penalties already??

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Was thinking about this the other day (it's amazing what comes to mind to try to fill the weekend football void!)

Our regular penalty taker at the moment is Aaron Muirhead. IMO he's the best we've had for many years as he can plant them left, right, high or low and with a bit of power and accuracy. I don't think he's missed yet either.

Maybe not for Falkirk. He famously missed a high profile cup final one against us in his Thistle days.

Our designated taker at the moment is Derek Lyle albeit he missed in the shoot out at TNS which was the last one he took. Dobbie takes them when Lyle isnt on the pitch. He hasnt missed during normal play since coming back to the club, including three this season. He did also miss v TNS though. I presume if Dobbie wasnt on the park Kyle Jacobs would take them. He took them for Livi. He did miss one in a shoot out v EK for us this season but scored in three shoot outs since.

If you want to go back far enough John O'Neill is our penalty king. Missed two in his Queens career out of nearly 30. 

Saw 2 of the shitiest attempts at a penalty kick one game after the other this season. 

King's v Livi was poor, but was good compared to McMullan's pishy effort at Saints. 

We hadn't had a pen for fucking ages then we get 3 on the bounce, and finally Keatings slots his away v Brechin.

Can't understand why McDonald doesn't just take them. The pen he took to beat Dundee in the cup earlier in the season was by far the best of the lot that day.

If he'd smashed it in to put us 1 up in Paisley, things might not be looking quite so Bleak for us now....:blink:

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Maybe not for Falkirk. He famously missed a high profile cup final one against us in his Thistle days.

Our designated taker at the moment is Derek Lyle albeit he missed in the shoot out at TNS which was the last one he took. Dobbie takes them when Lyle isnt on the pitch. He hasnt missed during normal play since coming back to the club, including three this season. He did also miss v TNS though. I presume if Dobbie wasnt on the park Kyle Jacobs would take them. He took them for Livi. He did miss one in a shoot out v EK for us this season but scored in three shoot outs since.

If you want to go back far enough John O'Neill is our penalty king. Missed two in his Queens career out of nearly 30. 

Aye, I knew about that one. Am I right in thinking he wasn't very pleased about it?

Thinking of all-time greats at penalties, ours was George Millar (in my time anyway). I think I'm right in saying that he only missed one, against Dundee Utd when he slipped as he took it. He would have taken a fair number of them too.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Ours was Liam Buchanan but he started missing them, then Danny Mullen started taking them but he was hopeless and missed one against Dunfermline in the season opener. Josh Mullin took a couple and scored with both so i'd be fine with him taking them, and Craig Halkett took our last one and buried it without a problem.

We also had Matthew Knox take one, likely to get him on the score sheet to get everyone hyping him up again, but he missed.

45 minutes ago, MacArab said:

Can't understand why McDonald doesn't just take them. The pen he took to beat Dundee in the cup earlier in the season was by far the best of the lot that day.

If he'd smashed it in to put us 1 up in Paisley, things might not be looking quite so Bleak for us now....:blink:

You'd have lost by 1 goal rather than 2  so yeah, your goal difference would be better.

20 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

You'd have lost by 1 goal rather than 2  so yeah, your goal difference would be better.

C'mon Arch, goals change games, as I'm sure you are aware. Final outome might have been different had it gone in.

On the other hand might not.... 

Wha kens???

Aye, I knew about that one. Am I right in thinking he wasn't very pleased about it?
Thinking of all-time greats at penalties, ours was George Millar (in my time anyway). I think I'm right in saying that he only missed one, against Dundee Utd when he slipped as he took it. He would have taken a fair number of them too.

Tam McQueen was an exquisite penalty taker.

12 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Gunner McWilliams was the best I've ever seen at Falkirk . Postage stamp every time. Closely followed by Tam McQueen.  I always think its funny how some top players are so shit at penalties.  I remember God being one of the worst.  I fancied him more to score direct from corners or the centre spot than from the penalty spot.

13 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

You've had 8 penalties already??

We had a crazy spell where we got 5 pens in 7 games a few weeks back.

It ended at home to St Mirren when ironically we should have had at least 1 stonewaller! Kevin Glancy had a feckin mare that day.

Andy Ritchie was our king of penalties. Scored loads, missing only two during his time with Morton.

One was put over the bar when shooting down the Easter Road slope. The other was in a home derby in torrential rain, where he sent Billy Thomson the wrong way only for the ball to roll in the mud and stop short of the goal line, allowing Thomson to dive back over and save it.

Later John McNeil took over the task, then we went through a spell of missing 8 penalties in a row in the late 80s.

Aero is a fucking baller at penalties. Absolutely buries them and is then over the moon with himself. Love watching the big man celebrate, proper heart on sleeve stuff. 

I'll never forgive him for his 2 penalty misses in our cup final playing with St Joseph's College secondary school in Dumfries. Missed one on the hour mark to put us 3-2 up and then missed one in the shootout. Don't care how good at them he is now, he missed the 2 most important ones!

Just now, Crawford Baptie said:

Tam McQueen was an exquisite penalty taker.

Name crossed my mind when I seen the topic again, I think he missed one

Sumo Stuart Burgess fancied himself as a decent pen taker, tbh I think he just fancied himself 

Archived