Your team's penalty taker (Is he any good?)

Was thinking about this the other day (it's amazing what comes to mind to try to fill the weekend football void!)

Our regular penalty taker at the moment is Aaron Muirhead. IMO he's the best we've had for many years as he can plant them left, right, high or low and with a bit of power and accuracy. I don't think he's missed yet either which is maybe surprising given his generally poor distribution and occasional inability to find a team mate with a ten yard pass!

We've occasionally had to use a random player to take one with Sibbs, for example, scoring at Palmerston last season but, in the main, we've had a nominated taker. Working backward from Aero we've had Baird, who regularly scored by hammering the ball down the middle before goalkeepers got wise to this and he started to miss; Loy, who's penalties looked ok when he took them but he had a high number of them saved; Stewart Murdoch who scored with most of his efforts, although I always felt that he chose the same corner each time and they were quite near the keeper and Arfield who mostly side footed them into the corner. (Don't think I've missed anyone in terms of regular takers and I've obviously only gone back a while)

So who takes the penalties for your team and would you rather that it was someone else?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kallum-with-a-K Higginbotham or Declan McManus, who (IIRC) is the only player to have missed a penalty out of our 16+ penalties this season.

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

We've had two penalties (in open play) this season. Calum Gallagher has scored one, and Tom Walsh has tamely missed one.

I'd like to think that Beany will be on them from now on though.

Thinking about it, I don't think we've had one this season. Only been in the box 22.4 times so far you see.

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Was thinking about this the other day (it's amazing what comes to mind to try to fill the weekend football void!)

Our regular penalty taker at the moment is Aaron Muirhead. IMO he's the best we've had for many years as he can plant them left, right, high or low and with a bit of power and accuracy. I don't think he's missed yet either which is maybe surprising given his generally poor distribution and occasional inability to find a team mate with a ten yard pass!

We've occasionally had to use a random player to take one with Sibbs, for example, scoring at Palmerston last season but, in the main, we've had a nominated taker. Working backward from Aero we've had Baird, who regularly scored by hammering the ball down the middle before goalkeepers got wise to this and he started to miss; Loy, who's penalties looked ok when he took them but he had a high number of them saved; Stewart Murdoch who scored with most of his efforts, although I always felt that he chose the same corner each time and they were quite near the keeper and Arfield who mostly side footed them into the corner. (Don't think I've missed anyone in terms of regular takers and I've obviously only gone back a while)

So who takes the penalties for your team and would you rather that it was someone else?

Mark Millar shared the bad penalty taking with Loy for us as well.....

No complaints with Muirhead, safe to say when he does miss, he will chib someone...!!!

We haven't really got that many penalties this season, tho I suppose you need to attack to get them, needing a wee Wullie McGuire type who had the art of winning pens

1 minute ago, MrDust said:

Mark Millar shared the bad penalty taking with Loy for us as well.....

No complaints with Muirhead, safe to say when he does miss, he will chib someone...!!!

We haven't really got that many penalties this season, tho I suppose you need to attack to get them, needing a wee Wullie McGuire type who had the art of winning pens

Completely forgot about Millar but, you're right, he did miss a few.

20 minutes ago, Finch road said:
22 minutes ago, Rajamaki said:

He missed at Falkirk.

Scored the rebound. Gave those 3 sided tramps some hope

Fucks sake, spectacular lack of self awareness. I have a meeting in Greenock on Wednesday, getting my tetanus booster tomorrow.

53 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Latapy used to take them quite regularly. I remember a delicious penenka at Broadwood. 

53 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

If Muirhead doesn't have a clue where the ball is going what chance does the keeper have!

1 hour ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Dundee United all absolute shite

Keatings is first choice penalty taker when playing and is perfectly decent. Likewise corners and freekicks. Shame he seems to have a heart the size of a pea when the ball's in open play.

Ours was Liam Buchanan but he started missing them, then Danny Mullen started taking them but he was hopeless and missed one against Dunfermline in the season opener. Josh Mullin took a couple and scored with both so i'd be fine with him taking them, and Craig Halkett took our last one and buried it without a problem.

Archived