Killie v Brora

Andy_K_97

For the first time since 1985 we've drawn non-league opposition in the Scottish Cup. For those of you wondering what happened that day, Inverness Thistle beat Killie 3-0 in a game that Killie fans of a certain vintage refer to as the Highland massacre.

Anyway, Brora are coming to RP for the first time ever and I think it'll be a memorable day for both clubs. On paper we're massive favourites and in years gone by I'd have said that it's a potential banana skin but with our form right now I'm pretty confident that we'll get the job done. I think we need to make the effort to make the Brora fans feel very welcome indeed given that it's a 500 mile round trip when they've already had to travel something in the region of 1400 miles already in the cup. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fully expect this thread to reach at least 20 pages pre match as the vitriol and bile spills forth with the rabid marauding teuchters  in there kilts threatening the brave Killie boys with there chibs they stick down the inside of there hairy socks and there strange musical instruments .

Another problem I foresee is on the catering front ....what do these people eat? Our haggis supplies are exhausted after Burns night.

Also I don’t recommend too much close fraternisation with them because if they catch our germs it could be lethal to them and there kith and kin 

Welcome them by all means but don’t interact too much as it will just cause them difficulties settling when they return to the highlands 

2 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

I fully expect this thread to reach at least 20 pages pre match as the vitriol and bile spills forth with the rabid marauding teuchters  in there kilts threatening the brave Killie boys with there chibs they stick down the inside of there hairy socks and there strange musical instruments .

Another problem I foresee is on the catering front ....what do these people eat? Our haggis supplies are exhausted after Burns night.

Also I don’t recommend too much close fraternisation with them because if they catch our germs it could be lethal to them and there kith and kin 

Welcome them by all means but don’t interact too much as it will just cause them difficulties settling when they return to the highlands 

I heard that they don't even play with a ball up there and just kick around the severed head of a member of the local English peacekeeping force.

If the game was at Brora then it would have had a better chance of being on TV.  A non-league side away to a top flight club is much less interesting, because there's not the novelty factor of a new ground, and there is much less chance of a shock.

Ross Tokely played fifteen games at Rugby Park as a player, winning four, losing six with five draws.  He lost both cup ties played there, both when ICT were in the lower leagues in 2001 and 2010.

Looking at the Brora squad, they have a few players with league experience like Steve Mckay, Zander Sutherland, Gavin Morrison but it would be an immense shock for them to get a result here.  Has a non-league side ever beaten a top flight team in the Scottish cup before?  When Caledonian drew with St Johnstone in 1992 it was the first ever time a non-league team had avoided defeat against top flight opposition.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Ross Tokely played fifteen games at Rugby Park as a player, winning four, losing six with five draws.  He lost both cup ties played there, both when ICT were in the lower leagues in 2001 and 2010.

Looking at the Brora squad, they have a few players with league experience like Steve Mckay, Zander Sutherland, Gavin Morrison but it would be an immense shock for them to get a result here.  Has a non-league side ever beaten a top flight team in the Scottish cup before?  When Caledonian drew with St Johnstone in 1992 it was the first ever time a non-league team had avoided defeat against top flight opposition.

Fraserburgh beat Dundee 1-0 in 1959. Dundee were 5th top at the time.

Archived