West Region promotion & relegation - who plays who ?

glensmad

Please forgive me if I've missed the answer to this, but has it been discussed or decided who plays who in terms of the promotion and relegation play-offs for the new West Region structure for next season ?

For example, is it 11th in the Premier v 6th in Super Division One, and 12th in the Premier v 5th in Super Division One, as would seem fair ? (i.e. the lower placed team in the top league playing the higher placed finish in the lower league, giving an incentive to the teams in both leagues to finish as high as they can.)

Also for the promotion and relegation from the Central and Ayrshire District Leagues to the new Championship, with the 4th placed teams from each league in the play-off, do they play the 13th or 14th placed teams in the Super Division One, and how do they decide which ? Is it going to be drawn from a hat ? That would seem to be the only fair way to decide that one for me.

Is this one of the items on the remit of the recently-formed working committee regarding the cup competitions ?

Or was the structure of the play-offs already part of the original league restructuring proposal which was passed at the AGM, and I've just missed this bit of fine detail ?

11 minutes ago, Kilbowie Benches said:

As far as I`ve heard its exactly as you`ve described it Glensmad.

There`s a West Region general meeting on thursday so I`d assume it will be explained then.

If that's the case then hopefully the West Region will announce it to make sure the general public know the set-up, and it's not just kept in the secrecy of club meeting rooms.

The West Region have been excellent with their communication recently, they appear to have embraced Twitter and are seeing the value of pro-actively letting the public know about results and fixtures as soon as they are announced, instead of letting people just find out by having to keep checking the website. Long may that continue.

This came up on another thread a while back and was answered there but might take some finding.

These details were not specified in the Larkhall amendment. To the best of my memory it was said that a decision had been made at a management meeting early this season that 12th in Premier would play 6th in Div 1 and 11th would play 5th, the opposite of what you'd expect. No idea whether that was a random draw or an executive decision.

It was said there was a decision about who plays who in the other playoffs but sorry I don't recall what it was so 21stcenturyboy is probably correct.

Nothing was said about the format (single game, 2 legs, who's at home first etc).

Someone with access to Management minutes for August or September should be able to answer this definitively.

3 minutes ago, archieb said:

These details were not specified in the Larkhall amendment. To the best of my memory a decision was made at a management meeting early this season that 12th in Premier would play 6th in Div 1 and 11th would play 5th, the opposite of what you'd expect. No idea whether that was a random draw or an executive decision.

I'm not doubting what you're saying, but if that is the case it would make no sense at all, to be honest.

Say for example the team in 5th place finishes a good distance ahead of the team in 6th place, yet the team in 6th place gets to play the supposed weaker of the two Premier sides ? That can't possibly be fair. Of all of the promotion and relegation questions, this one is surely the easiest one to sort in a fair way, and there is no need for this one to be drawn from a hat. Surely it has to be 11th v 6th and 12th v 5th ?

1 minute ago, Brig O'Lea said:

This is from the 8th August minutes...

11th Super Premier v 5th Super First

12th Super Premier v 6th Super First

13th Super First v 4th Ayrshire District

14th Super First v 4th Central District

6 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I'm not doubting what you're saying, but if that is the case it would make no sense at all, to be honest.

Say for example the team in 5th place finishes a good distance ahead of the team in 6th place, yet the team in 6th place gets to play the supposed weaker of the two Premier sides ? That can't possibly be fair. Of all of the promotion and relegation questions, this one is surely the easiest one to sort in a fair way, and there is no need for this one to be drawn from a hat. Surely it has to be 11th v 6th and 12th v 5th ?

I found that aspect of what was reported quite incredible too and apparently it's true! As it was a management committee decision though, it should be possible to persuade them to overturn it at Thursday's meeting IF somebody brings up the issue. But I don't have much hope based on past experience.

So, as it stands, unless they are able to jump two places in the league towards the end of the season, there is no incentive for the team sitting in 6th place in Super Division One to try to pass the team in 5th place, and likewise there is no incentive for the team at the bottom of the Premier to try to finish the season not at the bottom ? In fact, the incentive is actually to finish 6th/12th as that would be the supposedly easier play-off tie ?

That's just bonkers.

This is from the 8th August minutes...
11th Super Premier v 5th Super First
12th Super Premier v 6th Super First
13th Super First v 4th Ayrshire District
14th Super First v 4th Central District

So the Central District team gets handed an easier tie than their Ayrshire counterparts? Hardly seems fair. Surely the 2 District teams should go into a ballot to see who plays the bottom Super First team.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

So, as it stands, unless they are able to jump two places in the league towards the end of the season, there is no incentive for the team sitting in 6th place in Super Division One to try to pass the team in 5th place, and likewise there is no incentive for the team at the bottom of the Premier to try to finish the season not at the bottom ? I fact, the incentive is actually to finish 6th/12th as that would be the supposedly easier play-off tie ?

That's just bonkers.

Very good point haha! 

On 1/22/2018 at 13:46, Beenzon-Toste said:

So the Central District team gets handed an easier tie than their Ayrshire counterparts? Hardly seems fair. Surely the 2 District teams should go into a ballot to see who plays the bottom Super First team.

I'm presuming that's exactly what they have done.  Done a ballot for the play-offs hence the situation of the bottom Super Premier team getting the 'easier' play off!!

21 minutes ago, Brig O'Lea said:

I'm presuming that's exactly what they have done.  Done a ballot for the play-offs hence the situation of the bottom Super Premier team getting the 'easier' play off!!

It makes sense to have a ballot for the play-off places for the 2nd tier league (I really don't want to call it the "Championship", it's just silly). But it makes no sense whatsoever to have a ballot for the places in the Premiership, as it's simply not logical to "reward" the team who finishes lower in both leagues with a supposedly easier play-off tie.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

So, as it stands, unless they are able to jump two places in the league towards the end of the season, there is no incentive for the team sitting in 6th place in Super Division One to try to pass the team in 5th place, and likewise there is no incentive for the team at the bottom of the Premier to try to finish the season not at the bottom ? In fact, the incentive is actually to finish 6th/12th as that would be the supposedly easier play-off tie ?

That's just bonkers.

Am sure this have been amended accordingly

5th/12th

6th/11th

50% of gate for each game.

33 minutes ago, BeverleyHills said:

Am sure this have been amended accordingly

5th/12th

6th/11th

50% of gate for each game.

Hopefully sense will prevail and it will be officially changed and announced as this.

Archived