3 Leagues of 16, 16, 16

I know this has been discussed previously in the media etc, but isn't it time this was made a reality.

Championship Clubs are struggling (full time ones at least). News of us dropping our youth set up, and Dundee United struggling financially must just be a couple of reasons.

Id have same structure as now except in third tier, where two down and one up from each lowland and highland league, and like England's National leagues north and south, if there is an imbalance a team who played in north season one season could move to south next season. Moreso a central team.

What are your thoughts

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bairnschild said:

I know this has been discussed previously in the media etc, but isn't it time this was made a reality.

Championship Clubs are struggling (full time ones at least). News of us dropping our youth set up, and Dundee United struggling financially must just be a couple of reasons.

Id have same structure as now except in third tier, where two down and one up from each lowland and highland league, and like England's National leagues north and south, if there is an imbalance a team who played in north season one season could move to south next season. Moreso a central team.

What are your thoughts

Is this a fan of relegation-threatened side proposing a league restructuring?

:blink:

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Is this a fan of relegation-threatened side proposing a league restructuring?

:blink:

Earlier in the season I would have definitely thought relegation, but I believe we will be okay.

I believe it will benefit Saints as well as they are another sleeping giant who should be in the top flight.

it would not happen for next season anyway.

Just a long term strong financially sound thought for most of bottom six of premier and top six of championship (I understand we currently do not hold any of these placings)

League changes have been discussed over and over again, even when the Bairns were in the Premier league and in the play off places to go up.

It will never happen when we have so many clubs in the Prem that rely on the 2 home games against the likes of the OF, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts for their survival.

If it went to say 16 teams only playing each other twice that would be 10 games of lost revenue for these clubs.

It should happen but it isn't going to. Self preservation will take care of that.

1 minute ago, Harry Kinnear said:

League changes have been discussed over and over again, even when the Bairns were in the Premier league and in the play off places to go up.

It will never happen when we have so many clubs in the Prem that rely on the 4 home games against the likes of the OF, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts for their survival.

If it went to say 16 teams only playing each other twice that would be 10 games of lost revenue for these clubs.

It should happen but it isn't going to. Self preservation will take care of that.

Possibilities of splitting league after 30 games, would give 37 games though

25 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:
27 minutes ago, Bairnschild said:
Possibilities of splitting league after 30 games, would give 37 games though

I think the split is ridiculous so if there was any changes to the current set up I would hope they would get rid of that.

Just thing of a way round it.

Two leagues of 22 is of course another.

More meaningless cups like juniors to create more sponsorship.

9 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

We need a Rangers/Celtic tribute in every league IMO. It's the only way Scottish football will survive.

Not a completely ridiculous suggestion. Why should teams only play teams in the same league?  Why the obsession with teams all playing the same opposition the same number of times each season? We've already compromised that anyway with the split.

With 16 team leagues you could play half a dozen or so games against a selection of teams in other leagues (a bit like the NFL). With 12 team leagues you could have even more variable fixtures. Each team could have a guaranteed game once every three years or so against one of the OF to bring in some cash. Alternatively, you could ensure more games with local rivalries. We, for example, could have at least one fixed game against Morton every season, even though we are more often than not "different league" ;).

Not a completely ridiculous suggestion. Why should teams only play teams in the same league?  Why the obsession with teams all playing the same opposition the same number of times each season? We've already compromised that anyway with the split.
With 16 team leagues you could play half a dozen or so games against a selection of teams in other leagues (a bit like the NFL). With 12 team leagues you could have even more variable fixtures. Each team could have a guaranteed game once every three years or so against one of the OF to bring in some cash. Alternatively, you could ensure more games with local rivalries. We, for example, could have at least one fixed game against Morton every season, even though we are more often than not "different league" [emoji6].

Must admit, I always thought the basis of a League was an even playing field.?

Great idea...can you just imagine how fixtures could be adjusted to suit the needs of the bigger clubs. Don’t think so...

9 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Do you think attendances would increase due to there being less home matches?

No, because I don't really believe that people decide to attend any given game based on how many other games they 'need' to go to.

I could imagine season ticket sales increasing slightly as the overall cost (you'd imagine) would have to come down.

27 minutes ago, AllyM said:

With 16 team leagues you could play half a dozen or so games against a selection of teams in other leagues (a bit like the NFL). With 12 team leagues you could have even more variable fixtures. Each team could have a guaranteed game once every three years or so against one of the OF to bring in some cash. Alternatively, you could ensure more games with local rivalries. We, for example, could have at least one fixed game against Morton every season, even though we are more often than not "different league" ;).

I'm not sure you've thought that through. Why bother with a league system at all if you're going to pick out matches and make them based solely on money? Are these games competitive and for points? If not, fans will see it as a friendly, so if there's a desire for that then the clubs should make it part of their annual pre-season schedule (some already do this). Are OF fans really going to turn out in numbers to watch a meaningless game against diddy teams? Are they buggery.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

No, because I don't really believe that people decide to attend any given game based on how many other games they 'need' to go to.

I could imagine season ticket sales increasing slightly as the overall cost (you'd imagine) would have to come down.

I think some clubs like ourselves people are sick of seeing or travelling to the same teams year after year four times a year. I know it's a choice however less fixtures but more meaningful could have a positive effect on attendances. Then again maybe not. Just no colts to the league

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure you've thought that through. Why bother with a league system at all if you're going to pick out matches and make them based solely on money? Are these games competitive and for points? If not, fans will see it as a friendly, so if there's a desire for that then the clubs should make it part of their annual pre-season schedule (some already do this). Are OF fans really going to turn out in numbers to watch a meaningless game against diddy teams? Are they buggery.

Yup all competitive. As I said, like the NFL or the NBA or indeed any other major US sport. 

As to whether the old firm fans will turn up? For Celtic, at least, an away game at Dumbarton with 3 points at stake would surely be equally as attractive (and arguably not that much less testing) than a second away game at, say, Hamilton or Ross County this season.

The more difficult argument is the "level playing field", but if a balanced schedule of "other" games was worked out for all clubs in a particular league based, say, on last seasons form then any small advantages/disadvantages would even out over the seasons and would surely be not so different from the imbalances that arise through landing a team in form on a week when one of your rivals are playing another side struck down by injuries, plague, Christmas parties etc.

Archived