3 Leagues of 16, 16, 16

3 hours ago, Bairnschild said:

I know this has been discussed previously in the media etc, but isn't it time this was made a reality.

Championship Clubs are struggling (full time ones at least). News of us dropping our youth set up, and Dundee United struggling financially must just be a couple of reasons.

Id have same structure as now except in third tier, where two down and one up from each lowland and highland league, and like England's National leagues north and south, if there is an imbalance a team who played in north season one season could move to south next season. Moreso a central team.

What are your thoughts

What Championship teams are struggling financially? And of those, who are struggling due to their own mismanagement?

Also a Highland League team moving to the Lowland League or vice versa?! 

Also this is a whole load of shit. Scottish Football is about more than the top tier

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Yup all competitive. As I said, like the NFL or the NBA or indeed any other major US sport. 

As to whether the old firm fans will turn up? For Celtic, at least, an away game at Dumbarton with 3 points at stake would surely be equally as attractive (and arguably not that much less testing) than a second away game at, say, Hamilton or Ross County this season.

The more difficult argument is the "level playing field", but if a balanced schedule of "other" games was worked out for all clubs in a particular league based, say, on last seasons form then any small advantages/disadvantages would even out over the seasons and would surely be not so different from the imbalances that arise through landing a team in form on a week when one of your rivals are playing another side struck down by injuries, plague, Christmas parties etc.

Fair enough. I think you're getting into "circus" territory there. It obviously works in the USA but I'm not sure fans here would have the same acceptance of it.

12 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

people are sick of seeing or travelling to the same teams year after year four times a year.

Whilst my suggestions above are slightly tongue in cheek, as there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of them happening,  it is the combination of this argument above and the inability to find an optimum number of teams to make the league interesting if they only play each other once at home and once away, that has led me to propose what I did.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough. I think you're getting into "circus" territory there. It obviously works in the USA but I'm not sure fans here would have the same acceptance of it.

Yup. I know what you are saying, but I can't think of an optimum number of teams to form leagues in Scotland that would be interesting enough (12?, 16?, 18?) if teams only played each other once at home and once away each season.  The status quo of playing the same teams 4 times each year can be tedious, particularly if you are mid table.

Makes sense to move Dundee Utd, Falkirk, Dunfermline and St Mirren up.

Falkirk? I don't think they'd bother moving 9th place teams up. They'd only look at the teams higher in table.

21 leagues of 2 teams each. Ugly sisters in the top league, then Hertz & Hubs etc. 

No relegation from the top flight and the OF colts to be fast tracked through the leagues PDQ.

Only the two teams in the top flight to be allowed to compete in the SC.

Keith Jackson to have his happy face rather than his concerned face in the Daily Ranger each day. 

Yup all competitive. As I said, like the NFL or the NBA or indeed any other major US sport. 

Can we please have this clarified for all future debates.

Just about everything in the way American sports are run is utter shit and also completely unworkable in our sporting environment. Do not bring up them as an example of how to run things.

The bigot brothers, and the Edinburgh two won't allow it, they way to meet each other as often as possible, and stifle the rest of the teams in Scotland. 

Anyone who thinks otherwise is totally deluded. 

8 hours ago, P475 said:

The bigot brothers, and the Edinburgh two won't allow it, they way to meet each other as often as possible, and stifle the rest of the teams in Scotland. 

Anyone who thinks otherwise is totally deluded. 

And if recent games have shown anything, it's that Scottish football would be lost if we couldn't show 4 high quality Edinburgh derbies.

Archived