Overtime ??

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes. Unpaid. I hate it.

How does this work? Can't you refuse?

Seems like my work (an office) is one of the few places that doesn't offer overtime

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my first proper job we would work overtime pretty freely when there were deliveries to make. No one really minded, and Saturdays were time-and-a-half. I have a particular memory of struggling with writing some embedded assembler software one Saturday morning, heading to Smithies in Eyre Place for pub lunch and 3 pints, then battering through hundreds of lines of code in the afternoon.

Looking back at it, I think this must have been the same phenomenon that a lot of people subscribed to for driving home from the pub in those days: it's easy to convince yourself that you're performing much better after a few beers, because the self-awareness has been dialled back.

Morning: "Hmm, yes, we could disable the crane's parking brake when oil is actually pumping: but what might the safety consequences be?"

Afternoon: "f**k it. Take the brakes off, no one's going to mind some oil spillage when they've got so much of the stuff."

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How does this work? Can't you refuse?

Seems like my work (an office) is one of the few places that doesn't offer overtime

He goes into work on his days off. You can't expect him to refuse unpaid overtime.

He goes into work on his days off. You can't expect him to refuse unpaid overtime.

You’re confusing that user with myself.
Unless he’s a good, hard worker as well!
Unpaid overtime is mental. Why would anyone do it?

Do some extra today, have less to do tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

You’re confusing that user with myself.
Unless he’s a good, hard worker as well!

Do some extra today, have less to do tomorrow.

Do you mean work more one day then work less one day, e.g. do 10 hours one day then 6 the next?

Do you mean work more one day then work less one day, e.g. do 10 hours one day then 6 the next?

No, unfortunately we don’t get flexi-time. I just mean if I stay and do something tonight, I won’t have that task sitting waiting for me to do tomorrow. It’s pretty commonplace to have folk working late here, I assume they’re not putting in for it either, but I understand the fact we do is part of the reason they won’t pay us for it.
Admittedly, I’m fond of fucking off early on a Friday if I can. If it gets to quarter past 4 or something and I’ve nothing pressing, that’ll do.

8 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

No, unfortunately we don’t get flexi-time. I just mean if I stay and do something tonight, I won’t have that task sitting waiting for me to do tomorrow. It’s pretty commonplace to have folk working late here, I assume they’re not putting in for it either, but I understand the fact we do is part of the reason they won’t pay us for it.
Admittedly, I’m fond of fucking off early on a Friday if I can. If it gets to quarter past 4 or something and I’ve nothing pressing, that’ll do.

415 is not fucking off early.

I work pretty much every Saturday morning at 1.5x my wage, 6 hours a week beings me an extra £350 a month which I put away for holidays or just now my wedding. It's not a bad system as I still have from 12 on Saturday until I go back on Monday off.

34 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

That sounds like you're being completely mugged off

If I have to do work outside my contracted hours then I get good overtime for it and there's never any issue with coughing up.  Same with expenses - I've racked up thousands of (justifiable) expenses when I've been in offices in London and abroad but all were paid with no questions, which is good.

I don't mind staying across things when I'm out of the office or taking a phone call if I can help out at all but if I'm needed to log on and actually put in some proper work then I'll claim OT for it.  There's the potential for a lot of it as I work in a relatively small team - some guys I work with take it all back as time off in lieu but I take the money.

I have worked with people who work unpaid overtime - one guy I worked with works a 12 hour day, every single day, when contracted to do 7.5 like everyone else.  He doesn't claim the OT, he just does it because he doesn't have much else in his life.  I think it's wrong - if he's doing work then the company are getting away with not employing the right number of staff and if he were to leave or get signed off we'd be left exposed; if he's not doing vital work then he's just messing around on company property for the sake of it and it shouldn't be allowed.

I've worked with a few people like this actually, one of my old managers used to come into the office at 3am because he couldn't sleep, then work all the way through to 6pm.  He was a fucking roaster.

I generally do an extra 2hrs a day during the week and 1 on a Friday.

If Killie are playing at home I do 7am-11am then get the 11.12am train and I'm still in the boozer before 12.

Same if we are playing Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Thistle or Hamilton.

Easy money and pays for the holidays.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've worked with a few people like this actually, one of my old managers used to come into the office at 3am because he couldn't sleep, then work all the way through to 6pm.  He was a fucking roaster.

I know somebody like that.

f**k.

That.

When I worked for a large Edinburgh based bank there was a guy in the department whose job was to maintain the internally developed applications.  Basically, all the apps we used for our teams admin and recording were developed by him and his manager and they would update, tinker and enhance them - a bit of a dry, back-office sort of job but he seemed to like it.

A new departmental head took over and audited the departments overtime etc - this guy had been claiming around 10-15 hours of overtime a week for as long back as the system went.  He was questioned about it and his justification was that he would log on from home every weekend and have a play about with the applications in sandbox/dev environments.  He didn't have any concrete results to show for it, he hadn't been asked to do it, he'd just do it.  Weekend overtime paid at double time so he was probably taking home nearly double his base salary in spurious overtime.  He wasn't disciplined for it but was told that any OT would have to be for specific work and be signed off from now on - he never claimed OT again.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Constant overtime means serious issues within an organisation.

Absolutely.  While working at the large Edinburgh based bank, there were some people who regularly worked 60 hours overtime a month, basically an extra week.  You can't sustain people working at those rates in any sort of involved, high pressure job but also it indicates that there are huge gaps in your staff.

Archived