Things you shouldn't skimp on.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

Have to say, as a former pooro I used to buy only cheap clothes, especially from supermarkets. In recent years I've been buying more expensive stuff from Lewis', Marks etc and I don't find they last any longer at all. Trousers wear out in a year, jumpers go bobbly or lose shape within months. I think dearer used to mean better quality, but not any more.

I'm with the guy above who said car tyres. You've got an area the size of an A4 sheet of paper taking all the friction involved in trying to stop a ton of metal doing 70 miles per hour, and your life depends on it. No, I'm not skimping on that.

My work wear is cheaply purchased stuff, and my experience is similar in that it usually lasts quite well. I wear a polo shirt at work and the current one has lasted for over 3 years (I wear a different t-shirt underneath it each day before any comments are made).

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Cereal.

Supermarket own brand stuff is fucking shite. 

Some are, but some are decent. 

Golf membership. 
Gym membership 

Have to disagree with these 2, PB.
Golf is shite so f**k the membership off completely and make a considerable saving and make yourself a better person.
Gym membership can definitely be saved on (scrimp is the wrong word). No need to pay bannantynes or David Lloyd £45 pcm for them heat the jacuzzi when all I want to do is go to the gym. If you enjoy the luxury and money isn’t an object I understand why folk would prefer the more prestigious private health clubs but if you just want to use the gym, nae point.

54 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Have to disagree with these 2, PB.
Golf is shite so f**k the membership off completely and make a considerable saving and make yourself a better person.
Gym membership can definitely be saved on (scrimp is the wrong word). No need to pay bannantynes or David Lloyd £45 pcm for them heat the jacuzzi when all I want to do is go to the gym. If you enjoy the luxury and money isn’t an object I understand why folk would prefer the more prestigious private health clubs but if you just want to use the gym, nae point.

Bravo. 

The big downside to posher gym membership is that it's often overrun by golfers. 

1 hour ago, chomp my root said:

Shoes.

Waterproofs if you're outdoorsy. 

Smoke alarm/CO2 detector batteries.

Insurance.

I have shoes. I don't have a smoke or CO2 detector or insurance of any kind. 

But then again I don't have anything to insure. Don't have gas in my flat (everything is electric) and if there was a fire at least the b*****ding place would be warm for once. I'd be trapped in the bedroom anyway, so I'd have to jump out the window.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I have shoes. I don't have a smoke or CO2 detector or insurance of any kind. 

But then again I don't have anything to insure. Don't have gas in my flat (everything is electric) and if there was a fire at least the b*****ding place would be warm for once. I'd be trapped in the bedroom anyway, so I'd have to jump out the window.

Something else not to scrimp on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kidde-KL3S-3-Storey-Escape-Ladder/dp/B000H5S96A/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516628782&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=escape+ladder+for+flats

2 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I'll just the mattress out and jump on to it. No doubt I'll end up missing and land on a shed roof though.