Airdrie v. Arbroath 27th Jan - A New Hope

It will be interesting what team Dick will pick, i am a big McCord fan and although he is not fast or the fittest of players he makes up for that with his skill and vision and football brain and he is a goal threat plus makes chances, imo i prefer when he starts a game rather than coming on as a sub.

It is a good choice to have as we do have a strong squad as you see that who is on the bench every week.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

It will be interesting what team Dick will pick, i am a big McCord fan and although he is not fast or the fittest of players he makes up for that with his skill and vision and football brain and he is a goal threat plus makes chances, imo i prefer when he starts a game rather than coming on as a sub.

It is a good choice to have as we do have a strong squad as you see that who is on the bench every week.

I'm also a big McCord fan couldn't give a toss if he's not the fittest around always liable to make something happen and some of the goals he has scored are simply superb ,i would always pick him like you say great skill and footballing brain  and really don't know why he's been dropped recently but we're a better team with him in it imo.

The following things will happen at this game:
Gavin Swankie will start the game, and our fans will get rather angry (myself included) as he saunters about the pitch putting in a minimal amount of effort. However, every so often he will play a superb pass/ deft flick/ wee touch of quality and this will justify his place and see Dick comment post match that 'no-one else on the pitch' could do what he had done and he will be correct as Ryan McCord, who has been doing these things for 18 months while preparing to be used in the summer as a heavy roller on the Arbroath cricket pitch, will be on the bench as opposed to the pitch.
We will play a 3-5-2, and then wonder why there is space down the flanks and why Bobby Linn (if we even start him this week) and Danny Denholm are struggling. The reason they will struggle is because neither of them is a wing back. They are wingers, a position 30 yards further up the park from a wing back with far less defensive requirements. Either play with wingers and play Linn/ Denholm who have proved they score/ create goals as wingers, or play with wing backs and put Linn/ Denholm on the bench. Don't play attack minded wingers as wing backs and then wonder why they're struggling defensively. It's like playing Blair Yule up front as a target man and then berating him for not giving us enough aerial presence FFS.
If he starts, Bobby Linn will struggle with the defensive side of the game but be our main attacking threat. We will go ahead and then substitute him in order to 'shut up shop'. This will result in us inviting constant pressure onto our defensive and see us concede a late-ish goal to draw the game.
Danny Denholm, a player who I really like, will continue to struggle as he has done since his injury against Forfar. However, he will play a guaranteed 90 minutes while others who are offering more are sacrificed.
Colin Hamilton will be be running towards a ball played in behind him, just ahead of the striker. He will then slow down very quickly, resulting in the opposition player bumping into his back/ arse and Hammy will fall to the floor and get a free kick. This will be the highlight of the afternoon for myself, as it is every week we play. A thing of beauty.
David Gold will have an excellent game, be it off the bench or starting, and will then be dropped the following week.

We'll take Campbell at Bayview!
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but I thought he won you the league last year and you're 3rd in the league tho year? Obviously not

6 hours ago, fatdoug1938 said:

We'll take Campbell at Bayview!
Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but I thought he won you the league last year and you're 3rd in the league tho year? Obviously not

You are correct - we did win the league last year and are currently sitting 3rd. I fully expect us to make the play offs.

What made you doubt yourself? :rolleyes:

Do you believe that Raith, Ayr and Arbroath have absolutely no weaknesses and all 3 have world class managers who make no mistakes?

You are correct - we did win the league last year and are currently sitting 3rd. I fully expect us to make the play offs.
What made you doubt yourself? :rolleyes:
Do you believe that Raith, Ayr and Arbroath have absolutely no weaknesses and all 3 have world class managers who make no mistakes?

Not at all but it amazes me how much moaning Arbroath fans are doing if god forbid they don't play great one week.

9 minutes ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Not at all but it amazes me how much moaning Arbroath fans are doing if god forbid they don't play great one week.

:lol:

All my post does is make my predictions for Saturday, based on the previous few months. I'm fairly certain every Arbroath fan is happy with our season so far and we're on course to finish where we should do.

Are you suggesting that because we're doing well that Dick has got every single decision spot on, and all players are playing excellently in the correct roles on the park? Do you think ourselves, Ayr and Raith all have managers who are getting every single thing spot on and every single player is playing to the highest standard they can and therefore no comments can possibly be made by any of us regarding team/ management? God forbid some arsehole coming on a football forum to discuss football, eh? :rolleyes:

There is always room for improvement, and every individual player, team, manager, fan etc. should always be striving to improve. If you don't, you stagnate and things can turn to shit fairly quickly. It's not like we're overachieving this season, we're in the position we should be all things considered (and are therefore having a good season so far).

We are doing great, it was only a short time ago we were getting worried about finishing bottom of league 2 and going into the play off, within a short space of time we may have a chance of getting into the championship which would be remarkable.

Like most teams we have a few nuggets in our support, the in fashion thing at the moment is some of them seemed to be completely enraged at substitutions, I'm talking foaming at the mouth seething which I find quite odd.

15 hours ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Spot on that man, it amazes me and many other Red Lichtie fans also, yes you will not agree with every decision or subs that are made but since the Campbell's have taken over the helm at Gayfield Park they and the AFC Board have done a magnificent job both on and off the park and long may it continue.

8 hours ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

Spot on that man, it amazes me and many other Red Lichtie fans also, yes you will not agree with every decision or subs that are made but since the Campbell's have taken over the helm at Gayfield Park they and the AFC Board have done a magnificent job both on and off the park and long may it continue.

Genuine question; if a player has a poor game or the manager makes a poor sub is it not acceptable for fans to voice their opinion on this (within reason)?

Obviously there is a huge difference between 'Dick is a fucking useless c**t and that sub was shite, get him to f**k' and 'I think Dick should have probably done X instead of what he did do'. The former is obviously a shit way to respond and I totally agree that anyone speaking like that is wrong to do so but constructive criticism is always acceptable in my opinion, and it provokes discussion.

Would it be preferable that we all sit around agreeing with each other and bigging ourselves/ team/ manager up while completely ignoring any sort of negative/ worry we have? Should we not strive/ want to be better than we are currently?

I don't think anyone has said Dick hasn't done a good job for AFC so far? Magnificent is probably pushing it considering our league positions under him probably reflect our budgets. If we had the 3rd/ 4th biggest budget in League 2 last year would finishing 3rd/ 4th have been a magnificent job? Regardless, as I say he has done a good job, brought some superb individual players to Gayfield and we've been lucky to have him.

All I see is a few people disagreeing/ getting more and more frustrated with in game management that can cost us points at times. Every manager has positives and negatives, and this in my opinion is Dick's big negative. He has a long list of previous clubs he has managed, and you find that many supporters of these clubs are of a similar opinion. I can honestly say I have absolutely no idea how anyone doesn't see that this side of his game is a struggle at times. Is it wrong to dare say a League 1 manager might not be superb in every single area of management? :unsure: 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

This in game management pish has to stop. f**k sake.

Can you explain why?

Are you saying in game management isn't important? Or are you saying that Dick's is totally fine, he has no faults as a manager and everything we do in game is correct?

Would add after my post I checked out our Ayr cup thread - and there is a few posts that go miles over the line regarding Dick/ the team. We beat them down there two weeks previous to the cup game and Dick/ the team got almost everything right on the day. Things don't suddenly change so two weeks later all the players are shite and the manager is useless.

Can you explain why? Are you saying in game management isn't important? Or are you saying that Dick's is totally fine, he has no faults as a manager and everything we do in game is correct?

Bore off

I’ve replied to this before last season and gave examples of how you could argue that his good in game management had won us points. After you rambling on about the EF challenge cup game about 3/4 into the season

And no of course he isn’t always correct, and neither are you, football is about opinions, don’t agree with him fine but I trust DCs in game management and choices a lot more than yours or any other supporters

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Bore off

I’ve replied to this before last season and gave examples of how his good in game management had won us points. After you rambling on about the EF challenge cup game

And no of course he isn’t always correct, and neither are you, football is about opinions, don’t agree with him fine but I trust DCs in game management and choices a lot more than yours or any other supporters

I'm very confused here.

You admit Dick isn't always correct and say it's fine to not agree with him.

Then, when I voice my opinion on an area I disagree with him in (giving my opinion, which is fine?) you seem upset that I've voiced an opinion about something I disagree with Dick on? :lol:

It's either fine to disagree with him and say so or it's not. Which one is it?

I'm very confused here.

You admit Dick isn't always correct and say it's fine to not agree with him.

Then, when I voice my opinion on an area I disagree with him in (giving my opinion, which is fine?) you seem upset that I've voiced an opinion about something I disagree with Dick on? :lol:

It's either fine to disagree with him and say so or it's not. Which one is it?

What are you talking about?

My point is it’s all very well coming on here after a defeat and saying DC cost us because of this and that, the reality is you have no idea at all about what would’ve happened if he’d done what you would’ve wanted for example. No idea at all.

Disagree with him fine, I’m just finding you slating his supposedly weak in game management for 2 seasons ongoing now incredibly boring. Peddling that line all the time. Like you’re the one that’s always correct, captain hindsight to save the day. Give it a rest.

He’s won us the league and has us sitting 3rd behind 2 full time teams, how much better can it actually get? If you were correct and he hadn’t made so many mistakes and cost us all these points with his in game management we’d be sitting top of this league. It’s not realistic at all.

14 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What are you talking about?

My point is it’s all very well coming on here after a defeat and saying DC cost us because of this and that, the reality is you have no idea at all about what would’ve happened if he’d done what you would’ve wanted for example. No idea at all.

Disagree with him fine, I’m just finding you slating his supposedly weak in game management for 2 seasons ongoing now incredibly boring. Peddling that line all the time. Like you’re the one that’s always correct, captain hindsight to save the day. Give it a rest.

He’s won us the league and has us sitting 3rd behind 2 full time teams, how much better can it actually get? If you were correct and he hadn’t made so many mistakes and cost us all these points with his in game management we’d be sitting top of this league. It’s not realistic at all.

I genuinely have no idea how to respond to this because of all the contractions and the utterly bizarre 'Captain Hindsight' comment regarding me thinking I'm always correct :lol: I'm not always correct, all I do is post my opinions and state the blindingly obvious at times.

I can't help it if my opinion is that Dick quite often gets game management decisions wrong. It's my opinion and I think from a fans perspective I'm fairly well qualified to form the opinion as I've seen every game we've played under him. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You disagree with me. I have no issue with this at all - everyone has different views and a football forum is the correct place to discuss them. To be honest it gets pretty boring seeing the same people crying when someone dares to give an opinion that isn't toeing the party line and positive about everything and anything relating to Arbroath FC.

Would also add your lack of ambition for our club is very disappointing - I'd hope our players/ management/ board won't be sitting about thinking 'ach we're 3rd in the 3rd tier of Scottish football, it cant get any better than this eh?' while teams like Dumbarton and Brechin play in the division above us and in the case of Dumbarton have held their own for a number of years and beaten full time teams on dozens of occaisions now.

Anyway all of this is really a waste of time and should be dropped - it's not my fault nor my problem if people seem to get overly upset with me posting an opinion on a football team within a forum designed to discuss and have opinions about said football team.

Maybe you need to give it a rest getting upset when someone has an opinion that is different to your own? :unsure:

If we could move on swifty from the 'toys out the pram' stuff and discuss the game on Saturday that would be nice.

I'd really like to see us go 4-4-2 to allow Bobby Linn/ Denholm to play as wingers, however I think we will continue with 3-5-2 as if we went with 2 in the middle who drops out from Whatley, Yule and Scott Martin? If we play the 3-5-2 with Bobby/ Denholm as full backs it'll be a struggle defensively, and while it's absolutely crazy to not play one of our best players and lead assist maker this season, could there be an argument to play David Gold as wing back and bench Bobby Linn? As I say - I'd MUCH prefer we played Bobby Linn in his proper position and let him play his game but if we insist on the 3-5-2 I worry he can't play as a wing back every week for the rest of the year as while he is superb going forward he has weaknesses at the back. I see Denholm exactly the same, albeit last few months he's offered less going forward than Bobby but more defensively at times.

Another issue (although a great one to have) is regardless of formation, how do we fit McIntosh, Wallace and Swankie into the one team? I feel we have to play McIntosh/ Wallace upfront together as they're both getting goals this year but Dick seems adamant we play Gav - do we drop one of the midfield 3 and play him there or leave out one of our two goalscoring strikers?

I genuinely have no idea how to respond to this because of all the contractions and the utterly bizarre 'Captain Hindsight' comment regarding me thinking I'm always correct :lol: I'm not always correct, all I do is post my opinions and state the blindingly obvious at times.
I can't help it if my opinion is that Dick quite often gets game management decisions wrong. It's my opinion and I think from a fans perspective I'm fairly well qualified to form the opinion as I've seen every game we've played under him. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You disagree with me. I have no issue with this at all - everyone has different views and a football forum is the correct place to discuss them. To be honest it gets pretty boring seeing the same people crying when someone dares to give an opinion that isn't toeing the party line and positive about everything and anything relating to Arbroath FC.
Would also add your lack of ambition for our club is very disappointing - I'd hope our players/ management/ board won't be sitting about thinking 'ach we're 3rd in the 3rd tier of Scottish football, it cant get any better than this eh?' while teams like Dumbarton and Brechin play in the division above us and in the case of Dumbarton have held their own for a number of years and beaten full time teams on dozens of occaisions now.
Anyway all of this is really a waste of time and should be dropped - it's not my fault nor my problem if people seem to get overly upset with me posting an opinion on a football team within a forum designed to discuss and have opinions about said football team.
Maybe you need to give it a rest getting upset when someone has an opinion that is different to your own? :unsure:

You could’ve stopped after the first line. As you clearly do not get the point I’m making.

I’ve not got any lack of ambition for our club either you’ve totally twisted what I said.

Dismiss it as toys out of the pram stuff if you want, I’m just giving my opinion like you are.

I think the problem Simon has is that he is a glass half empty guy and tends to focus on the negatives, that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not quite sure about this "game management" idea tbh, I would imagine Dick has a high win ratio so you would say that he has managed the majority of games fairly well?? 

On the system, it would be good to see how many games we have won/lost playing 4/4/2 compared to 3/5/2, we have been playing well recently with the current system and cant forget that we played well again on Saturday despite the scoreline, I think he'll go with it again on Saturday and hopefully we can get back to winning ways.

Archived