Airdrie v. Arbroath 27th Jan - A New Hope

Lineswoman, linesperson - what do you call them in this present climate without being sexist?? But isn't it great to see that a woman can just be as bad as a man in a job? That's equality for you.

In defence of that assistant ref, she tried to make a few calls without checking with the ref 1st. It’s a shame he just decided to ignore her though.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn’t matter if it’s a man or women officials in this league I think we are all in agreement they are hopeless every week, the female linesperson today was well out her depth, some of her decisions were dreadful and she seemed to be swayed by the shout, at one point today Airdrie worked there way out to the far side and the boy looked about 3 yards on side and ToB shouted for offside and he got it, 

Also delighted to see Hammy do a Hammy after about 5 mins, tremendous,

Martin best for us today,  Rest probably got pass marks but Hammy and Kader could of done better 

We've steadied our ship somewhat with the 541 formation in terms of goals conceded, Scott Stewart in particular worked a lot more robustly defensively yesterday.

But with 2 ballwinners in midfield, employing a very low block,  a lack of playmakers,  we're never going to do much going forward as it's long balls to no one, or hoping Carrick or Hastie can beat everyone on an unsupported solo run. 

It looks to me that we're overly cautious to protect both a weak central defence and fullbacks/midfielders who switch off a lot.  Strength in numbers.  But we've stifled any creativity to do so.

Hopefully adding O'Neill and RBrown helps.

We do look as if we desperately need an experienced and capable centre half.   I like McIntosh there and McGregor's suspension may force that next week.

Imo we should be looking to go with something like this...

Ferguson

O'Neill Brownlie McIntosh (Edwards or McDonald)

Stewart RBrown Watt Hastie

Carrick Duffy 

Subs from: Russell as a replacement striker, Fry centre mid, ABrown winger, Cairns defence and McDonald/Edwards left...

Would love to see us move the ball thru midfield and use the width better.

Seems like both teams set up fairly defensively and both happy to take a point from this.

Conditions made it a very difficult game to play, with little football on show and a rather dour game, but understandable when you leave the ground and realise it's hammering it down with rain and blowing a gale. No wonder the game was of poor standard.

Interesting to see almost every Arbroath fan who was in attendance feel our lineup was surprising to say the least and a couple of odd substitutions with the obvious things not being done. Have to laugh when at half time the universal agreement with those I spoke to was we should be looking to take Omar off and bring Bobby on, so what would happen was Denholm on for Gold and Omar to get 90, which of course is how it panned out. It is not surprising at all that we struggled to create chances/ get shots on goal when we don't play our lead assist maker at all and keep a striker with 6 goals in 7 games prior to yesterday on the bench until 10/15 minutes to go. Yesterday you could see early on that the ball over the top/ through the defence to run onto didn't seem to be working for either team with the conditions making it difficult. McIntosh offers us a different type of player who can hold it up and offer more physicality and we saw when he did eventually come on the difference it made.

I would say although Omar was very, very poor going forward yesterday (in difficult conditions) he is better defensively than Bobby is. However, I'd rather try to win games of football and entertain the support with the players we've got than shitfest games. It might sound crazy, but I would like to see us play our best players in their best positions to allow them to play their game and hopefully get the best out of them. Although there is a debate regarding who plays up top with Wallace/ McIntosh/ Swankie I'm happy that at least we're not trying to play all 3 by putting Gav in some sort of wing back/ winger role like we previously tried. His best position is upfront or just behind the front 1/2 and for me he either plays in these positions or doesn't play.

Two defensively set up teams playing in poor conditions - both will take the point and move on. From our point of view, regardless of selection/ subs/ conditions etc etc. a point is good enough for us and we've now got 10 points out of 12 from our last 4 games, which is excellent.

36 minutes ago, Airdrie1977 said:

We've steadied our ship somewhat with the 541 formation in terms of goals conceded, Scott Stewart in particular worked a lot more robustly defensively yesterday.

But with 2 ballwinners in midfield, employing a very low block,  a lack of playmakers,  we're never going to do much going forward as it's long balls to no one, or hoping Carrick or Hastie can beat everyone on an unsupported solo run. 

It looks to me that we're overly cautious to protect both a weak central defence and fullbacks/midfielders who switch off a lot.  Strength in numbers.  But we've stifled any creativity to do so.

Hopefully adding O'Neill and RBrown helps.

We do look as if we desperately need an experienced and capable centre half.   I like McIntosh there and McGregor's suspension may force that next week.

Imo we should be looking to go with something like this...

Ferguson

O'Neill Brownlie McIntosh (Edwards or McDonald)

Stewart RBrown Watt Hastie

Carrick Duffy 

Subs from: Russell as a replacement striker, Fry centre mid, ABrown winger, Cairns defence and McDonald/Edwards left...

Would love to see us move the ball thru midfield and use the width better.

Good post. I was encouraged against Stranraer because we looked exciting going forward playing a 4-4-2. The two wide men had more freedom to get forward and created a few opportunities, and Duffy and Carrick linked well as a pair, Carrick scoring and Duffy assisting both. We looked ropey at the back but created numerous chances.

Yesterday we had Carrick and Duffy about 30 yards apart most of the game, virtually no threats from out wide and two deep midfielders who aren't going to get forward or create. All that to make us a bit more solid at the back, but even then we had a few ropey moments.

I know it's easy to criticise, if we'd gone 4-4-2 and lost 3-2 like two weeks ago we'd probably be having a go, but that system is too defensive. We've played it the last 2 home games and drawn both 0-0, barely creating a chance in either game, and have lost a lot of ground as a result.

agree with you simon regarding playing our best player in their correct positions. but since stevie
doris injury as dc said not the same team without him very hard to replace him.macintosh struggles at times to hold it up wallace out and out striker great addition to the squad. but needs maybe a more physical presence a long side him.

12 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Bobby Linn was carrying a niggling injury according to Ian Campbell’s interview 

I am led to believe this is a rather misleading answer (I am trying to be polite here ;)

I don't see the benefit to the player or management of not telling the truth here. On numerous times this season we've dropped players and Dick has happily come out and said so/ the reasons why (remember his comments on dropping David Hutton :lol: ) so not sure why the same hasn't happened here. I suspect Pink maybe wasn't prepared for the question...

3 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I am led to believe this is a rather misleading answer (I am trying to be polite here ;)

I don't see the benefit to the player or management of not telling the truth here. On numerous times this season we've dropped players and Dick has happily come out and said so/ the reasons why (remember his comments on dropping David Hutton :lol: ) so not sure why the same hasn't happened here. I suspect Pink maybe wasn't prepared for the question...

So you are basically saying he was lying?

Thought a draw was the correct result, after the shocking decision making we made in front of goal we didn't deserve to win.

Thought Duffy and Carrick played well even if their decision making was poor at times and will only get better with more game time. Like McIntosh as a player but not at CM, looked uncomfortable. Watt did ok but game seemed to pass him by, mostly over the top of his head. 

I have always tried to give Ferguson the benefit of the doubt but the boy is needing dropped now, kept a clean sheet yes but that was more down to Arbroath than his excellent goal keeping skills. His distribution has always been iffy but if anything it is verging on tragic now. 

Surprised to  read absolutely no criticism of Hastie on here, he was worse than a man down for most of the game and only really seemed to bother running with about 10 minutes to go. For me he needs to be dropped and push Edwards forward to a more advanced role, looks uncomfortable defending and seems to shine when pushing forward. Him and Hastie are not compatible on that side, it should work in the same way Carrick and Stewart link up (btw give that partnership a few more games and they will be almost unstoppable at this level). At worst we could then put McDonald at LWB and brings Cairns into the back 3, would give us a far better balance is we are adamant on going around teams than through them.  

16 hours ago, Airdrie1977 said:

Just saw the goalie thing.   If that's a sending off then football is ruined.  

I agree it was not a Red Card but the Airdrie manager was told by the Ref that although not denying a "clear goal scoring opportunity" that it was a Yellow card. I might have missed it but I don't think Hutton was shown a Yellow card but he did smother it outside the box in handling it. Can't see any Card on the BBC report but can't always trust the BBC

Archived