Airdrie v. Arbroath 27th Jan - A New Hope

Arbroath had lots of possession without creating many chances ... until the last 10 which is when we seem to forget how to defend in every game I’ve watched this season.

Disappointed with the midfield today. Didn’t seem to win anything all game.

In attack we created a few decent moves but failed to do the simple thing each time.

Thought the 2nd yellow for handball look harsh. Didn’t look to me like mcgregor had a chance to react to the ball.

No idea how the Arbroath keeper avoided any card for handling outside the box while Duffie had a goal scoring opportunity.

No idea why it was a free kick though, it probably evened itself out, for me there’s no way the lineswoman or ref could tell for sure, I was square on to it and can’t believe they thought they were positive enough to give it. It was a guess. Probably why Hutton avoided any card.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A pretty poor game where neither side mastered the conditions. The combination of the swirling wind and the plastic pitch made for a grim watch. Pretty even in the first half though Airdrie could have taken the lead if not to some terrible decision making in front of goal.

Thought the Lichties had the better of the second half and only an excellent save denied us in the end. Macintosh should have started with Wallace, that's our best attack. Leighton's pace and physicality made a huge difference when he came on. 

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

No idea why it was a free kick though, it probably evened itself out, for me there’s no way the lineswoman or ref could tell for sure, I was square on to it and can’t believe they thought they were positive enough to give it. It was a guess. Probably why Hutton avoided any card.

Surely the referee has to make a decision either way.  Either no free kick, or it's a free kick and a booking.  No half way house.

Can't say I feel to disappointed with the draw.  Arbroath looked a bit more dangerous without creating too much.

I am disappointed with the performance though.  We've signed a few new players but they've had a couple of weeks to get to know each other in training.  For spells it looked like they'd only just met before the game.

Also, this kicking out from defence and shys.  Did we keep the ball in more than a quarter of attempts?  I don't think so.

I know that Findlay is well regarded but I disagree strongly with one of his decisions. If he felt Duffy needed to be substituted he should have been a straight swap with Russell. Withdrawing your main striker and not replacing him with another striker when you're drawing at home with some time to go is pretty negative.

23 minutes ago, scillybirder said:

When was the last time Arbroath were involved in a nil -nil? A couple of seasons? Overall grim fare, but a points a point I guess.

Back end of last season away to Elgin in league. Ross County in cup at beginning of this season are most recent stalemates.

10 minutes ago, waysider said:

I know that Findlay is well regarded but I disagree strongly with one of his decisions. If he felt Duffy needed to be substituted he should have been a straight swap with Russell. Withdrawing your main striker and not replacing him with another striker when you're drawing at home with some time to go is pretty negative.

Agree -  Personally I would have kept Duffy on for another 10 minutes and taken off McIntosh who I thought was ineffective. And I wouldn't have put Adam Brown on - added nothing and again not interested in any physical stuff.

Great seeing a half decent crowd but pretty poor fare on the pitch. Ref was appalling  - seemed ball to hand with McGregor - and if he was consistent then he should have booked (or potentially sent off) the Arbroath goalkeeper in the first half  because his was a deliberate act.  

Positives - thought Carrick was excellent putting himself about  but he kind of disappeared when he became the lone striker - but I like the look of him. Umm, that's about it.

Agree -  Personally I would have kept Duffy on for another 10 minutes and taken off McIntosh who I thought was ineffective. And I wouldn't have put Adam Brown on - added nothing and again not interested in any physical stuff.

Great seeing a half decent crowd but pretty poor fare on the pitch. Ref was appalling  - seemed ball to hand with McGregor - and if he was consistent then he should have booked (or potentially sent off) the Arbroath goalkeeper in the first half  because his was a deliberate act.  

Positives - thought Carrick was excellent putting himself about  but he kind of disappeared when he became the lone striker - but I like the look of him. Umm, that's about it.

You can’t send somebody off when you can’t even tell whether or not he handled it outside or not. He 100 percent handled it inside to start with but with the way the Airdrie player had closed him down and the height it was at made the landing extremely awkward. His body carried out of the box but I’m not sure the whole ball did.

As for the booking MacGregor never seemed to have too many complaints. If he hadn’t needlessly flew into the back of Wallace in the first half he would’ve stayed on.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You can’t send somebody off when you can’t even tell whether or not he handled it outside or not. He 100 percent handled it inside to start with but with the way the Airdrie player had closed him down and the height it was at made the landing extremely awkward. His body carried out of the box but I’m not sure the whole ball did.

As for the booking MacGregor never seemed to have too many complaints. If he hadn’t needlessly flew into the back of Wallace in the first half he would’ve stayed on.

If the ref wasn't sure why did he award the free kick?

Yes, first yellow totally merited. Second dubious - and he was bothered. The boy couldn't believe it.

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He shouldn't have been sent-off, and booking him wouldn't really have changed the game so don't really care. However your argument makes no sense, once the ref gives the foul for handball he then needs to apply the relevant punishment for a handball in that instance. If he isn't sure whether he handballed it outside or not, then you don't give the handball. Once you give the handball you then have to commit to the correct punishment.

If the ref wasn't sure why did he award the free kick?
Yes, first yellow totally merited. Second dubious - and he was bothered. The boy couldn't believe it.

The lineswoman did and I’m not entirely sure she was positive either like everyone else behind her which is IMO why they just called it quits at a FK. Was a really strange incident to be fair. Doesn’t happen very often.

Thought Arbroath edged the majority of the game, without doing too much with it.

Best chances fell to us and our decision making was awful.

Seemed like a decent crowd, and I hope some of the returnee's will be back. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Not an advert for football at this level, but in those conditions what do you expect?

Pretty scrappy game largely down to the winds. Few shots to trouble keepers but I have to praise Ferguson for his save at the end. As said our defence at end is panicking and Brownlie was poor. Liked Carrick but to bring on Brown puzzled me. The handling nonsense roused the crowd but it could have been a yellow card. I was a bit content at the end with a point. Forfar awaits.

56 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The lineswoman did and I’m not entirely sure she was positive either like everyone else behind her which is IMO why they just called it quits at a FK. Was a really strange incident to be fair. Doesn’t happen very often.

Lineswoman, linesperson - what do you call them in this present climate without being sexist?? But isn't it great to see that a woman can just be as bad as a man in a job? That's equality for you.

1 hour ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Lineswoman, linesperson - what do you call them in this present climate without being sexist?? But isn't it great to see that a woman can just be as bad as a man in a job? That's equality for you.

Assistant referees easier to remember, as for the result no disaster 

Archived