Airdrie v. Arbroath 27th Jan - A New Hope

Im confused, when dick took over we were about 2nd bottom of league 2, in his first full season he won us the league, this season we are sitting 3rd only behind the 2 full time teams and we have made some great signings and played some decent stuff. I agree some of his subs aren’t the best and swankie place in the team seems to be guaranteed but im happy to let these things go all things considered

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

I think the problem Simon has is that he is a glass half empty guy and tends to focus on the negatives, that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. I'm not quite sure about this "game management" idea tbh, I would imagine Dick has a high win ratio so you would say that he has managed the majority of games fairly well?? 

On the system, it would be good to see how many games we have won/lost playing 4/4/2 compared to 3/5/2, we have been playing well recently with the current system and cant forget that we played well again on Saturday despite the scoreline, I think he'll go with it again on Saturday and hopefully we can get back to winning ways.

My main issue is that I truly believe we have an excellent squad of players and I find it very frustrating when we drop points in games I feel we should be winning with the quality we have in our team. Because I believe in the players ability, the next thing to look at is how they are utilised and if this is costing us at points, which I believe at times it does. It's all about striving to be better, which everyone should always do in my opinion. I'm very positive in terms of the players we have and their ability. If I didn't believe we had the players, I would be less critical of some of the things Dick does because there's only so much you can get out of poor quality players. Looking at it another way; I'm actually very positive about things off the pitch at the club and about the squad we have currently. I'm also, as I've said on dozens of occaisions, happy with Dick, think he has done a good job and firmly believe he is the best man for the job. I hope he is our manager for a good few years to come. I think I've been positive about the vast majority over the past 18 months - but because I dare pick at one or two areas I think we could improve in it seems to upset some people greatly.

One final thing I would say on this is that in football you should get what you pay for. We produced a healthy budget for Dick last year which he used well and won us the league. This year, we have again produced a  very good budget for a part time team at this level and Dick has got us in the position this budget should have us in. We are not overperforming under Dick, we are performing to the level we should be given the teams around us and the outlay we have. Regardless, having a good budget is one thing, using that budget well is another. While Dick has a good budget, I think he has used it very well and credit to him for doing so.

Should this discussion not be on the Arbroath thread rather than this one?

Regardless, I tend to agree with much of Simon's points as do many who don't post on this forum. Most of his criticisms are generally constructive and the points he makes are worthy of consideration. 

For me, the defence looked more solid with a back four, I don't think we have the players who are comfortable playing as a wing back when playing with a back three. However the manager will continue to play whatever formation he wants, pick the players he wants and make any substitutions he wants irrespective of what is posted on this or any other forum. That's not to say that as supporters we cannot disagree with any of his decisions and voice any disagreements here.

Should this discussion not be on the Arbroath thread rather than this one?
Regardless, I tend to agree with much of Simon's points as do many who don't post on this forum. Most of his criticisms are generally constructive and the points he makes are worthy of consideration. 
For me, the defence looked more solid with a back four, I don't think we have the players who are comfortable playing as a wing back when playing with a back three. However the manager will continue to play whatever formation he wants, pick the players he wants and make any substitutions he wants irrespective of what is posted on this or any other forum. That's not to say that as supporters we cannot disagree with any of his decisions and voice any disagreements here.

I agree with a lot of his posts too and I 100 percent agree supporters can disagree but when you start stating things as fact, ie ‘Campbell has cost us points with his in game management’ it’s frustrating to read.

How does anyone know that? Nobody has any idea about how a game would’ve turned out if they’d been able to make the changes they wanted to make.

As it turns out we seem to have done really well since he’s come in so maybe it’s not as bad as is getting made out.

It’s all about opinions, and although I disagree a lot at times too I sort of tend to give the benefit of the doubt to the guy who’s done so well for us, managed for f**k knows how many years and knows each player inside out. Also, players aren’t robots, guys could be getting subbed because they’ve had a knock or they’re tired or they’re not feeling great or they’d had a problem at training through the week but fans don’t know any of that stuff.

It’s not exactly hard to make an educated guess.

It is a wee bit though. At the start of the season would you have said for definite that our budget was bigger than say Stranraers or Alloas? I wouldn’t be so sure. Especially not with Stranraers although thats come back and bit them on the arse. I’d say we definitely have a bigger budget than Forfar, Albion Rovers and Queens Park. Probably more than EF. As for Airdrie they’re shopping in a totally different market so it’s hard to tell but itll probably be more than ours, although it’ll be light for a FT club. We could be anywhere from 3rd-6th I’m guessing.

S

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Hopefully we win on Saturday

Well spotted. Got carried away after a few days out of Airdrie and I thought this was Friday-you do that when you are retired! still want a win but after that 7-1 at Gayfield I might take a draw. New squad could be the difference.

I’m looking forward to Saturday. Not so much for the result more hoping there are not only more numbers attending but also a better feeling/vibe at the game. This is a huge new venture hopefully taking us back to what we should be. A solid, well run, well supported club who are relevant in the game and often punch well above their weight. Happy days!

Archived