Airdrie v. Arbroath 27th Jan - A New Hope

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following things will happen at this game:

Gavin Swankie will start the game, and our fans will get rather angry (myself included) as he saunters about the pitch putting in a minimal amount of effort. However, every so often he will play a superb pass/ deft flick/ wee touch of quality and this will justify his place and see Dick comment post match that 'no-one else on the pitch' could do what he had done and he will be correct as Ryan McCord, who has been doing these things for 18 months while preparing to be used in the summer as a heavy roller on the Arbroath cricket pitch, will be on the bench as opposed to the pitch.

We will play a 3-5-2, and then wonder why there is space down the flanks and why Bobby Linn (if we even start him this week) and Danny Denholm are struggling. The reason they will struggle is because neither of them is a wing back. They are wingers, a position 30 yards further up the park from a wing back with far less defensive requirements. Either play with wingers and play Linn/ Denholm who have proved they score/ create goals as wingers, or play with wing backs and put Linn/ Denholm on the bench. Don't play attack minded wingers as wing backs and then wonder why they're struggling defensively. It's like playing Blair Yule up front as a target man and then berating him for not giving us enough aerial presence FFS.

If he starts, Bobby Linn will struggle with the defensive side of the game but be our main attacking threat. We will go ahead and then substitute him in order to 'shut up shop'. This will result in us inviting constant pressure onto our defensive and see us concede a late-ish goal to draw the game.

Danny Denholm, a player who I really like, will continue to struggle as he has done since his injury against Forfar. However, he will play a guaranteed 90 minutes while others who are offering more are sacrificed.

Colin Hamilton will be be running towards a ball played in behind him, just ahead of the striker. He will then slow down very quickly, resulting in the opposition player bumping into his back/ arse and Hammy will fall to the floor and get a free kick. This will be the highlight of the afternoon for myself, as it is every week we play. A thing of beauty.

David Gold will have an excellent game, be it off the bench or starting, and will then be dropped the following week.

The following things will happen at this game:
Gavin Swankie will start the game, and our fans will get rather angry (myself included) as he saunters about the pitch putting in a minimal amount of effort. However, every so often he will play a superb pass/ deft flick/ wee touch of quality and this will justify his place and see Dick comment post match that 'no-one else on the pitch' could do what he had done and he will be correct as Ryan McCord, who has been doing these things for 18 months while preparing to be used in the summer as a heavy roller on the Arbroath cricket pitch, will be on the bench as opposed to the pitch.
We will play a 3-5-2, and then wonder why there is space down the flanks and why Bobby Linn (if we even start him this week) and Danny Denholm are struggling. The reason they will struggle is because neither of them is a wing back. They are wingers, a position 30 yards further up the park from a wing back with far less defensive requirements. Either play with wingers and play Linn/ Denholm who have proved they score/ create goals as wingers, or play with wing backs and put Linn/ Denholm on the bench. Don't play attack minded wingers as wing backs and then wonder why they're struggling defensively. It's like playing Blair Yule up front as a target man and then berating him for not giving us enough aerial presence FFS.
If he starts, Bobby Linn will struggle with the defensive side of the game but be our main attacking threat. We will go ahead and then substitute him in order to 'shut up shop'. This will result in us inviting constant pressure onto our defensive and see us concede a late-ish goal to draw the game.
Danny Denholm, a player who I really like, will continue to struggle as he has done since his injury against Forfar. However, he will play a guaranteed 90 minutes while others who are offering more are sacrificed.
Colin Hamilton will be be running towards a ball played in behind him, just ahead of the striker. He will then slow down very quickly, resulting in the opposition player bumping into his back/ arse and Hammy will fall to the floor and get a free kick. This will be the highlight of the afternoon for myself, as it is every week we play. A thing of beauty.
David Gold will have an excellent game, be it off the bench or starting, and will then be dropped the following week.

You have missed the part where Ian Campbell has to assure the away fans that Dick’s subs are the right decision

11 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

We may play well and get the 3 points, stay in third and the whingers will be posted missing for a week.

No whinging from me - just predictions of how Saturday's game will go along with some obvious comments on how things have gone over the last month or two. We will finish in the top 4, which is where we should be finishing all things considered and if we don't go up we will challenge next year.

The part where Hammy falls over is a certainty, absolute hilarious he gets away with it so much,  agree with all but that’s the only guarantee, 

hopefully go with 

Hutton

Gold  Little  ToB Hammy

Linn Whatley  Martin Denholm

Wallace McIntosh

But expect gold and swankie to start in place of McIntosh and Gold and a back 3

Fascinated to see how this game goes. A different look to our squad with Furtado departing and the new boys coming in. Will be really interested to see what we do with the keeper. Still think we are a centre half away from a decent side, but if we have any aspiration then this is the kind of game we should be winning.
Will also be intrigued to see what the crowd is. The last home game attendance was swollen by Ayr fans, Arbroath wont bring any significant numbers...

2 hours ago, lichtiekev said:

The part where Hammy falls over is a certainty, absolute hilarious he gets away with it so much,  agree with all but that’s the only guarantee, 

hopefully go with 

Hutton

Gold  Little  ToB Hammy

Wallace McIntosh

These are not the droids we are looking for

I was hoping that there would be some enthusiasm from Airdrie fans now we have nothing to greet about. Instead, apathy seems to have set in. Saturday will be a good pointer as to whether the new signings give hope of us climbing the league and what formation (and goalie) we will be playing. The type of match we need to win if we are to mount a challenge for the play offs.

With the comments on Arbroath formation & lack of wing defense (sounds familiar) could be an interesting game if both teams attack from the wings but can't defend. 

Unsure how our new additions will affect formation & which goalie will play but really looking forward to seeing how the new look team will shape up.

I would like to see us go back to the 3-4-3 formation that saw us go on an unbeaten run.

Muir

Cairns - McGregor - McDonald

Stewart - R. Brown - Watt - Edwards

Carrick - Duffy - Hastie

We look a far more exiting prospect going forward with our new signings, hopefully this comes to fruition on the park.

12 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I would like to see us go back to the 3-4-3 formation that saw us go on an unbeaten run.

Muir

Cairns - McGregor - McDonald

Stewart - R. Brown - Watt - Edwards

Carrick - Duffy - Hastie

We look a far more exiting prospect going forward with our new signings, hopefully this comes to fruition on the park.

It does look a stronger set up than we had previously. I agree with you although I doubt whether he'll drop Brownlie for Cairns.

Would like to see all new boys start,and as someone said we could do with a centre half .as he used to be called,Swankie is a player that has been giving us problems for years ,with this Airdrie side you just never know,go for a 3-1 home win 

hopefully go with 
                      Hutton
Gold  Little  ToB Hammy
          Wallace McIntosh

Gets away with it so much, he gets away with it all the time, as for Dick do the SFA do stadium bans? It's not he had just encroached on to the pitch, he was miles on

Archived