Belfast

Stu

Had a great time. 

The walking tour is highly recommended - well worth the money and as Stu mentioned, we ended up getting an extra 50 odd minutes of it. Both guides were good and interesting but the Shankill one was more harrowing to see/hear the damage of the 'Troubles'.  We walked past a couple of pubs on both the Falls and Shankill Rd and the ones outside smoking said similar jokes to us offering us in for a pint etc - so even if there is a big f**k of wall between them/different colours etc ; the humour is the same.

The city itself reminded me of a compact Dundee/Glasgow. Really enjoyed and most folk were sound. 

Question for the NI posters (or anyone in the know) but are places outwith West Belfast etc still as segregated as those areas? Or is it just a few estates/streets? And does anyone recommend a good book on the mixed-community living/future etc, even a PDF or something from a uni? And, is there a growing Northern Irish identity that isn't Orange or Green?

I should probably move this in to another section; but certainly enjoyed the city and would recommend it to anyone. 2-3 days is probably enough, but still didn't get everything done  - didn't make the Ulster museum, Titantic (got outside and it felt surreal, expensive and like it should be in Dublin, London or Edinburgh with the numbers of people) so rubbered it and walked around it.

Definitely fancy getting back and seeing more of not just Belfast but travel a bit.

On 3/15/2018 at 21:36, Kejan said:

Question for the NI posters (or anyone in the know) but oare places utwith West Belfast etc still as segregated as those areas? Or is it just a few estates/streets? And does anyone recommend a good book on the mixed-community living/future etc, even a PDF or something from a uni? And, is there a growing Northern Irish identity that isn't Orange or Green?

interestingly enough I was in a uber after getting stuck at night on the "wrong" side of the peace wall when that main gate got shut and I couldn't remember my way back to the other gate. And the guy was asking me about Scottish Indy and brexit (this was pre brexit) and we were chatting and he was saying that Ireland doesn't want N.Ire because its the most subsidised place in the UK and it would probably be a nightmare to actually unify again, but also loads of folk obviously don't want to be in the UK he said it would get worse if we left the EU which of course we have now, so I posed him the question "is there no one who wants to go it alone" and he said the ingrained culture of either being one or the other was so strong it would take a huge change to spilt that and have a self-governing N. Ireland. It would be interesting from the posters in N.I what they make of things going forward. (also unsure if this is the place for this?)

1 hour ago, Millions said:

Any "city" where the taxis are religiously devided is a bin. Belfast is a tin pot, horrendous backwater that should be floated out to the Faroes

Needs translation. Could try harder. 3/10

Needs translation. Could try harder. 3/10

Belfast is shit
It's confusing getting the "right" taxi
It's grey and dull with no redeeming features
It has a fucking 100 foot wall covered in graffiti
I don't like to have to scrutinise my every move to pander to the bigoted b*****ds
I don't like having to have the "craic" whilst thinking about what foot I kick with

Send it to the Faroes

Better? Wasn't fucking hard

7 minutes ago, Millions said:

Belfast is shit
It's confusing getting the "right" taxi
It's grey and dull with no redeeming features
It has a fucking 100 foot wall covered in graffiti
I don't like to have to scrutinise my every move to pander to the bigoted b*****ds
I don't like having to have the "craic" whilst thinking about what foot I kick with

Send it to the Faroes

Better? Wasn't fucking hard

You could always move. There are planes and ships to the Faroes, no need to shift the entire landmass.

• 1 year later...
50 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Are there any tricks for time of year, day of week, time in advance or any other way of getting cheapish ferry tickets to either Belfast or Larne or is it always going to be upward of £300 for car and 2 adults?

Probably cheaper flying and hiring a car, that's a shocking price.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Probably cheaper flying and hiring a car, that's a shocking price.

Pretty much

We did that for our trip to the west coast of Ireland and will likely do it again at this rate.

Can probably fly two of us plus bags return for about 100, 30 quid to park car and car hire plus full excess waiver would be about 150-200 so its all much of a muchness

Edited by invergowrie arab

• 7 months later...
Just now, Ylf said:

booked up for 3 nights in july. flying from dundee as well. airport is 5 mins from my house. recommend any boozers and things to do please people. cheers emoji482.png

The Titanic tour is good,  also get the tour bus which takes you through the city with plenty of decent stops.  The jail is worth seeing.  If you have the time you can get the bus out to the Giants Causeway which is tremendous.

Pub wise you of course have to go to the Crown which is a beautiful boozer.

The Titanic tour is good,  also get the tour bus which takes you through the city with plenty of decent stops.  The jail is worth seeing.  If you have the time you can get the bus out to the Giants Causeway which is tremendous.

cheers. dirty onion looks a decent boozer as well ?

The Crown is a beautiful looking pub but Tbh I found it to be kinda boring. It had a similar vibe to The Trades House in Dundee.

There were some pretty cool pubs dotted around the city centre and into the Cathedral Quarter. Love & Death and Rita's are two that spring to mind. 

The restaurant on the barge is worth checking out.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

I think a lot of people would be disappointed by The Giant's Causeway. As Dr Johnson  said: "Worth seeing, but not worth going to see." Fingal's Cave at the other end  of the causeway is much more impressive and interesting, albeit not that easy to get to. Agree about The Crown,

• 3 weeks later...

Both the Titanic exhibition and The Crumlin road jail tour are worth going to.

Plenty of good pubs already mentioned. The John Hewitt in The Cathedral quarter is good as well. A little further out of town and The Errigle Inn and the Northern Lights pub across the road are both really good.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

Both the Titanic exhibition and The Crumlin road jail tour are worth going to.

Plenty of good pubs already mentioned. The John Hewitt in The Cathedral quarter is good as well. A little further out of town and The Errigle Inn and the Northern Lights pub across the road are both really good.

Surprised there is an Aberdeen supporters pub in Belfast tbh.

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Surprised there is an Aberdeen supporters pub in Belfast tbh.

Haha, well I have to admit that was the only reason I went in at first. Knew it wasn't named after the great man obviously but my knowledge of Irish poets wasn't enough to have heard of that one.

• 2 years later...
59 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Anyone recommend a decent restaurant in Belfast or North Down. Looking to buy vouchers for a pal. 

The Ox in Belfast. Years since I went but the food was glorious and not too expensive considering it had a Michelin Star, like £18 for a main course. Looking at the website now it might be better going at lunchtime or the Cave in the evening, going by price of the taster menus. They do vouchers. Someone local or who's been recently will have better advice.

https://oxbelfast.com/

Edited by welshbairn