Belfast

Stu

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Cheers for that. We're going by ferry from Cairnryan. We have three full days and effectively a half day before the boat back. One of the hop on/off bus tours is definitely on the agenda and I'd love to see Stormont, the murals etc.

Has anyone been to the Titanic museum? I'd like to go but have heard it can take all day, which seems quite a long time to dedicate when we're only there for a few days and are toying with the idea of a trip to the Giants Causeway (which would take care of another day).

EDIT: I see the fish bar beside Kellys is one that had already been recommended to us so seems ideal.

Maybe use the bus as a way to get around as some of them have a tour guide speaking and the other is just an audio guide, The Titanic museum really can take a full day in you include the SS Nomad. It is, however, worth it could probably get round in half a day if you just listened to the audio guide and didn't read the information posters. I'm saving up going up the Antrim coast for another trip as I think I might want to spend a few days heading up there. Stormont only does two tours a day which is 11.30 and 2.30 off the top of my head (might be worth a check on their website) but to get in its airport-style security. Taxi Tour of the murals can take an hour or so.

On 22/01/2018 at 07:45, LongTimeLurker said:

Fairly plush and middle class area as it's close to Queen's, but there are dodgy Loyalist and Republican areas within easy walking distance. You'll be fine as it's easy to avoid them.

Do you think it's best to avoid them still? Rambled around Shankill and Falls Road in the late 70's and early 80's, stopping for the odd pint, and never had trouble. Maybe the odd look saying wtf are you doing in this shithole, maybe time to go, but that was it.

17 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do you think it's best to avoid them still? Rambled around Shankill and Falls Road in the late 70's and early 80's, stopping for the odd pint, and never had trouble. Maybe the odd look saying wtf are you doing in this shithole, maybe time to go, but that was it.

You are better asking AFJ something like that. Ah come fae Sco'lin. Have been to see Linfield and would have zero problem doing so again, but no matter what city I'm in there needs to be a reason before I'm going to wander about a dodgy looking area I don't know. All I'll add is that as I was walking down Ormeau Road to get back to the hotel in question one time I couldn't help but notice that there was absolutely nobody about quite early on a Saturday evening on one of the main streets very close to the city centre and it suddenly dawned on me that I had a Republican area (the Markets) behind me on one side and a Loyalist area (Donegal Pass) ahead of me on the other.  Went over a few streets to the Golden Mile and there were loads of people about. If the locals are steering well clear, there's probably a reason.

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You are better asking AFJ something like that. Ah come fae Sco'lin. Have been to see Linfield and would have zero problem doing so again, but no matter what city I'm in there needs to be a reason before I'm going to wander about a dodgy looking area I don't know. All I'll add is that as I was walking down Ormeau Road to get back to the hotel in question one time I couldn't help but notice that there was absolutely nobody about quite early on a Saturday evening on one of the main streets very close to the city centre and it suddenly dawned on me that I had a Republican area (the Markets) behind me on one side and a Loyalist area (Donegal Pass) ahead of me on the other.  Went over a few streets to the Golden Mile and there were loads of people about. If the locals are steering well clear, there's probably a reason.

I was a bit young and foolhardy then, but I think there's few places in the world where you can't stroll around in the afternoon, unless you're flashing cash or cameras etc around. I'm a lot more wary at nightime, or in America where pedestrians are a rarity and most people lock themselves in their cars.

America can definitely be interesting. When I was young and foolhardy about 25 to 30 years ago I walked around downtown Detroit trying to find the Greyhound bus station and wound up getting lost on the way after setting out with the attitude of ah'm fae Scotland how bad can it be compared to walking out to Parkhead from the city centre as an away supporter. Felt like an extra on Hill Street Blues. A taxi driver eventually stopped and yelled at me to get in saying things like, "you shouldn't be around here man". 

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

America can definitely be interesting. When I was young and foolhardy about 25 to 30 years ago I walked around downtown Detroit trying to find the Greyhound bus station and wound up getting lost on the way after setting out with the attitude of ah'm fae Scotland how bad can it be compared to walking out to Parkhead from the city centre as an away supporter. Felt like an extra on Hill Street Blues. A taxi driver eventually stopped and yelled at me to get in saying things like, "you shouldn't be around here man". 

Had a similar thing in New Orleans trying to find the local YMCA. Passed loads of people lying on the streets, got hassled at bit, and got to my room. Junkies shooting up in the corridor, mattress falling through springless bed frame, and no lock. Jammed a chair against the handle and it was home.  A day or so later I was in Mexico that everyone in America warned me about. No trouble whatsoever.

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, Kejan said:

I'm heading over for a weekend - Scotland play Ireland in the rugby on the Saturday and then Celtic-Rangers on the Sunday :lol:. Would most pubs in the city centre be fairly neutral to watch the Old Firm game in? 

They probably won't show it.

4 hours ago, Kejan said:

I'm heading over for a weekend - Scotland play Ireland in the rugby on the Saturday and then Celtic-Rangers on the Sunday :lol:. Would most pubs in the city centre be fairly neutral to watch the Old Firm game in? 

Doubt you'll find a neutral bar showing it in the centre, as AFJ says. Here's some advice from Rangers Media. :lol:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/topic/285990-recommend-me-a-good-pub-in-belfast/

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the day. Doing the jail and a walking tour of the Falls Road/Shankhill area on Tuesday and the Titanic museum and the bus tour (48 hour ticket) on Wednesday with Ulster Museum planned for Thursday. Will see what else we can fit in depending on time and the snow!

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Tomorrow is the day. Doing the jail and a walking tour of the Falls Road/Shankhill area on Tuesday and the Titanic museum and the bus tour (48 hour ticket) on Wednesday with Ulster Museum planned for Thursday. Will see what else we can fit in depending on time and the snow!

If you turn up at Stormont and do f**k all for a day, you might get some wages

A fun few days, even if it was Baltic as f**k due to wind and the odd bit of snow. Seems by being in Belfast we missed far worse weather back home which was an added bonus.

Tour of the Falls/Shankill area was interesting but was freezing by the end of it - and that was the warmer of the days we were there.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

A fun few days, even if it was Baltic as f**k due to wind and the odd bit of snow. Seems by being in Belfast we missed far worse weather back home which was an added bonus.

Tour of the Falls/Shankill area was interesting but was freezing by the end of it - and that was the warmer of the days we were there.

Was that the 18 quid thing that starts at 2.30pm? Heading over next week and looking forward to doing it. 

20 hours ago, Stu said:

Sounds like a Taggart tour of Glasgow, "There's was a murder here." every few yards.

On 28/01/2018 at 18:29, Mark Connolly said:

When you do the bus tour, don't laugh when the guide suggests hopping off on the Falls or Shankill Roads to have a chat with the locals about the troubles. It confuses the foreign tourists on the bus.

We stopped off for the night  in Belfast before the Ireland Scotland fitba in Dublin a few years ago. Funny thing was it was June and the bonfire pallets were being built. Got close to one for a photo and got verbally abused. I take it its sacred lol. We actually got of the bus by the Shankill Road. Got some strange looks wi our green kilts on but walked through an estate back towards city centre which we found eerie and far from welcoming. 

Had a great night in a bar that had disco in one room and several sports on different tv s up in another up by the northern ireland supporters club.

Anybody done the game of thrones tour? 

Edited by newcastle broon

17 hours ago, Kejan said:

Was that the 18 quid thing that starts at 2.30pm? Heading over next week and looking forward to doing it. 

Aye, although ours lasted probably a half hour on top of that. There's no loo stops and make sure you wrap up warm. You could do the Crumlin Road Gaol before it - the tour lasts 70ish minutes and it's only about a mile or so walk down to the tower block where the tour starts. Took us past some of the more interesting murals we were unsurprisingly not shown on the tour...