Belfast

Stu

Booked up to go to Belfast for four nights at the end of February/beginning of March. Never been before, will be looking to do some of the touristy stuff (Titanic Museum, bus tour etc) but would appreciate any advice on good places to eat or less well known places to visit.

Apologies if there's already a Belfast thread, was surprised I couldn't find anything other than one for stag dos.

Agreed, I thoroughly enjoyed the jail tour. City Tour bus gives a decent perspective of both sides. Belfast castle gives superb views over the city. Ten Square is a decent bar/restaurant at the back of the City Hall. The City Hall tour is free and very interesting, but you need to call in and book it. Go and see Linfield. On second thoughts, don't, we are sh1te this season.

PM me if you have any questions.

Booked up to go to Belfast for four nights at the end of February/beginning of March. Never been before, will be looking to do some of the touristy stuff (Titanic Museum, bus tour etc) but would appreciate any advice on good places to eat or less well known places to visit.
Apologies if there's already a Belfast thread, was surprised I couldn't find anything other than one for stag dos.

I just asked on another thread about Belfast so let me know how you got on please. Meant to be good for a night out [emoji106]

Where you staying? Been there few times, stayed in Hilton across from train station and the malmaison( real funky boutique hotel) Actually really like Belfast; what's funny is that the city centre during week is dead at night; cultural throwback to the troubles I guess when people just wanted to get back to their own communities. Once took in a Jags v Crusaders game in on the shore rd. That's one interesting area....

44 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

I just asked on another thread about Belfast so let me know how you got on please. Meant to be good for a night out emoji106.png

Might as well move it here,

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I prefer it to Dublin, some great restaurants and pubs, and much cheaper. Can't remember any names unfortunately but there was a Michelin star restaurant where most of the mains were under £15. I'll do a bit of googling later and see if anything rings a bell.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It was this place. http://oxbelfast.com/

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Audaces Fortuna Juvat said:

Agreed, I thoroughly enjoyed the jail tour. City Tour bus gives a decent perspective of both sides. Belfast castle gives superb views over the city. Ten Square is a decent bar/restaurant at the back of the City Hall. The City Hall tour is free and very interesting, but you need to call in and book it. Go and see Linfield. On second thoughts, don't, we are sh1te this season.

PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers, I noticed it was number one on Trip Advisor so will hopefully go there. My knowledge of Belfast is minimal to say the least, didn't realise there was a castle!

Combination of going with my girlfriend and only being there during the week made me think football would be off limits but I see Linfield are at home the Tuesday night we're there...

57 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Where you staying? Been there few times, stayed in Hilton across from train station and the malmaison( real funky boutique hotel) Actually really like Belfast; what's funny is that the city centre during week is dead at night; cultural throwback to the troubles I guess when people just wanted to get back to their own communities. Once took in a Jags v Crusaders game in on the shore rd. That's one interesting area....

Holiday Inn Express in the Queens Quarter. Looks like it'll be great fun to get there by bus or train from the ferry port. We're getting in on the Monday night and leaving on the Friday so guessing it will be quiet as anything during the week.

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

...Holiday Inn Express in the Queens Quarter...

If that's the one a few doors down from the Alliance Party HQ close to the Queen's campus, I've stayed there. Not a bad breakfast buffet, but don't try to swing a cat in the rooms as they are on the small side. Best to find the Golden Mile and stick to that if going into the city centre on foot to steer clear of dodgier painted kerbstones and gable ends type areas and you can get trains to plenty of places around NI from Botanic station that is just around the corner, so you can easily see a lot more than just Belfast using public transport. Think they have a special  discount ticket on Sundays but it's been a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Mile_(Belfast)

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

If that's the one a few doors down from the Alliance Party HQ close to the Queen's campus, I've stayed there. Not a bad breakfast buffet, but don't try to swing a cat in the rooms as they are on the small side. Best to find the Golden Mile and stick to that if going into the city centre on foot to steer clear of dodgier painted kerbstones and gable ends type areas and you can get trains to plenty of places around NI from Botanic station that is just around the corner, so you can easily see a lot more than just Belfast using public transport. Think they have a special  discount ticket on Sundays but it's been a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Mile_(Belfast)

Aye looks like it's that one. Reviews for it seemed decent and no mention of it being a dodgy area so should be OK (I hope!). Not too bothered about the size of the room, just a bed for the night really and won't have much luggage as we'll be walking on and off the ferry.

I would recommend you to visit these places, great way to spend your day:

Belfast’s Window on Wildlife
Belfast Zoological Gardens
Bangor Castle Walled Garden
Ballyholme Beach and Park
Antrim Lough Shore Park
Cave Hill Country Park
Exploris Aquarium
Giant's Causeway

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Fairly plush and middle class area as it's close to Queen's, but there are dodgy Loyalist and Republican areas within easy walking distance. You'll be fine as it's easy to avoid them.

Grand - although I might have to briefly venture into one as I see there's a mural of Rory McIlroy relatively near the hotel - assuming it's still there.

3 hours ago, Brian Mcculloch Glasgow said:

Antrim Lough Shore Park
Cave Hill Country Park
Exploris Aquarium
Giant's Causeway

Fantastic, thanks for that, hadn't heard of a few of them (although I've not done much research yet) so will give them a look :)

5 hours ago, Brian Mcculloch Glasgow said:

Antrim Lough Shore Park
Cave Hill Country Park
Exploris Aquarium
Giant's Causeway

Samuel Johnson on the Giant's Causeway .. "It's worth seeing, but not worth going to see". However, you're only a few miles away from Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge which has a much nicer cliff-top walk to get it. Back then I was a kid, the rope bridge resembled something out of Indiana Jones, but sadly it's been beefed up now. 

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 08:49, Brian Mcculloch Glasgow said:

Antrim Lough Shore Park
Cave Hill Country Park
Exploris Aquarium
Giant's Causeway

Cavehill Country Park and Belfast Castle would go well together and, if you like a sturdy walk, hit the top of Cavehill for stunning views. If you do decide to go and see Linfield I can probably sort you out with tickets.

I've been to Belfast twice in the last 2 years, it's a fantastic city, are you getting the ferry or flying?

As others have said the Jail tour is fantastic as is the taxi mural tour which was completely impartial. I also went to the parliament and city hall tours as they are fantastic looking buildings and the politics of Ireland is fascinating, both were free and a good way to spend an hour or so. The bus tour really helps you get your bearings and its a 48 hour ticket so saves on what would be a long walk out to the parliament, however, I walked everywhere the rest of my time in Belfast, however, I was nearly stuck on the wrong side of the peace wall as its main gate shuts at night and I wasn't sure how I could get back out so had to call an Uber. The Ulster Museum is brilliant and you could easily spend a day in there just wandering around. I would also recommend the "Irish Republican History Museum" which is small but really interesting and opened my eyes to what happened not so long ago and despite its title, I think its pretty fair to the British.

I walked back from the Jail back into the centre of the city and went straight through one of the loyalist areas and there was no bother at all, in fact, everyone seemed entirely decent.

Had a few excellent meals in Belfast, but it depends on what you are looking for:

Kitch - excellent 'normal' restaurant I had the steak which was perfect - its also right opposite "5 points" which I thought was reasonable for a pint and one night I was there, there was a guy playing a goat he had turned into bagpipes which were a bit odd but there was a good atmosphere there.

Opera pizzeria - was a proper pizza (probably the best I've had outside Italy) however I took it back to my hotel room as they only have about 4 tables but the place is always rammed.

Kellys Cellar - I went there for a pint and a look around as its the pub where I was told the IRA was founded and they have some interesting posters on the wall about the history of the pub, this place seems to only be inhabited by locals and the pints were a decent price. there is also a seafood restaurant next door which was recommended to me but I didn't get a chance to try it.

Cuban Sandwich factory - I went in here for a bit of lunch and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price of the food on offer.

Crown Liquor Saloon - This is opposite the Europa (the worlds most bombed hotel) and I have never been in a place as busy as this, it took me at least 20 mins to get served however its a really nice place to drink and if you manage to get in during a quieter spell then I'm sure it would be great.

Holohan's at the barge - This is the most upmarket place I ate in and it's fantastic all set on the top deck of a small barge the place was really busy when I was there and I struggled to get a table however the food and service was top notch.

Anything else I'll be happy to answer your questions :)

3 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Crown Liquor Saloon - This is opposite the Europa (the worlds most bombed hotel) and I have never been in a place as busy as this, it took me at least 20 mins to get served however its a really nice place to drink and if you manage to get in during a quieter spell then I'm sure it would be great.

I'd second this. When my mates and I went to Dublin we stopped off in Belfast for a few hours on the way there and back. Had some cracking pints in the Crown on our outward journey and had a nice meal upstairs on our return. Both times were quite quiet but not a bad thing at all. 

We weren't in Belfast for very long but did the bus tour which I'd thoroughly recommend. There's an option to do a tour at Stormont which we didn't end up doing in the end due to time constraints, so I don't know if it's any good or not. 

6 hours ago, Adam101 said:

I've been to Belfast twice in the last 2 years, it's a fantastic city, are you getting the ferry or flying?

As others have said the Jail tour is fantastic as is the taxi mural tour which was completely impartial. I also went to the parliament and city hall tours as they are fantastic looking buildings and the politics of Ireland is fascinating, both were free and a good way to spend an hour or so. The bus tour really helps you get your bearings and its a 48 hour ticket so saves on what would be a long walk out to the parliament, however, I walked everywhere the rest of my time in Belfast, however, I was nearly stuck on the wrong side of the peace wall as its main gate shuts at night and I wasn't sure how I could get back out so had to call an Uber. The Ulster Museum is brilliant and you could easily spend a day in there just wandering around. I would also recommend the "Irish Republican History Museum" which is small but really interesting and opened my eyes to what happened not so long ago and despite its title, I think its pretty fair to the British.

I walked back from the Jail back into the centre of the city and went straight through one of the loyalist areas and there was no bother at all, in fact, everyone seemed entirely decent.

Had a few excellent meals in Belfast, but it depends on what you are looking for:

Kitch - excellent 'normal' restaurant I had the steak which was perfect - its also right opposite "5 points" which I thought was reasonable for a pint and one night I was there, there was a guy playing a goat he had turned into bagpipes which were a bit odd but there was a good atmosphere there.

Opera pizzeria - was a proper pizza (probably the best I've had outside Italy) however I took it back to my hotel room as they only have about 4 tables but the place is always rammed.

Kellys Cellar - I went there for a pint and a look around as its the pub where I was told the IRA was founded and they have some interesting posters on the wall about the history of the pub, this place seems to only be inhabited by locals and the pints were a decent price. there is also a seafood restaurant next door which was recommended to me but I didn't get a chance to try it.

Cuban Sandwich factory - I went in here for a bit of lunch and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and price of the food on offer.

Holohan's at the barge - This is the most upmarket place I ate in and it's fantastic all set on the top deck of a small barge the place was really busy when I was there and I struggled to get a table however the food and service was top notch.

Anything else I'll be happy to answer your questions :)

Cheers for that. We're going by ferry from Cairnryan. We have three full days and effectively a half day before the boat back. One of the hop on/off bus tours is definitely on the agenda and I'd love to see Stormont, the murals etc.

Has anyone been to the Titanic museum? I'd like to go but have heard it can take all day, which seems quite a long time to dedicate when we're only there for a few days and are toying with the idea of a trip to the Giants Causeway (which would take care of another day).

EDIT: I see the fish bar beside Kellys is one that had already been recommended to us so seems ideal.

Edited by Stu

6 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Been in the afternoon when it was comfortably quiet without being dull.