Record Transfer Fees for clubs outside Premier League

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We bought Lewis Kidd from Queens for an undisclosed fee which on current form must've been in the region of at least a million I'd think. I'm sure the Queens accounts for that period will back that up.

Be interesting to know how much we paid. Before I couldn't believe we paid any sort of money for him, total dug shite. Now he is being played in his actual position I think we may have snapped up a bargain. 

IIRC we payed a reported £400k for German player Thomas Stickroth back in 1990. Our record fee in was for Ian Ferguson to Rangers was £850k plus IIRC another £50k when he got 5 Scotland caps (which he did).

Back at the time we regularly bought & sold players in the £200-300k price range

In - Roddy Manley, Fraser Wishart

Out - David Winnie, Brian Hamilton, Ian Cameron

Going back further we actually held the record transfer fee paid between two Scottish clubs when we bought Frank McDougall from Clydebank for £150k in 1979 - we outbid Celtic to get him, perhaps they could probably have afforded more although it was back in their "biscuit tin" days.

Of course this is all irrelevant as we were in the top division when all these deals were made - must be more careful. :bag 

Airdrie paid: 175K for Coyle 175K for Kenny Black, 100K for Stevie Gray, 130K for Paul Harvey, 100K for Jimmy Sandison, 80K for Dave Kirkwood, 100K for John Davies, 100K for Paddy Connolly, 100K for Peter Duffield, 100K for Peter Heatherston, 80K for Ken Eadie, 100k for Ian McPhee all in the early/mid 90's

1 hour ago, BBB1977 said:

Airdrie paid: 175K for Coyle 175K for Kenny Black, 100K for Stevie Gray, 130K for Paul Harvey, 100K for Jimmy Sandison, 80K for Dave Kirkwood, 100K for John Davies, 100K for Paddy Connolly, 100K for Peter Duffield, 100K for Peter Heatherston, 80K for Ken Eadie, 100k for Ian McPhee all in the early/mid 90's

Peter Duffield :wub: 

Did Airdrie not pay a decent fee for Gordon McCloud ( I think) from Dundee Utd circa £150k

46 minutes ago, JHS rip said:

Did Airdrie not pay a decent fee for Gordon McCloud ( I think) from Dundee Utd circa £150k

They did, aye, think it was a combined 150k for Mcleod and I think McPhee from Dundee United. McLeod was a massive flop and offloaded to Dundee six months later for cash plus Alan Lawrence, who was superb for them for seasons to come.

I was 10 in 1990 and for some reason still remember watching Scotsport on the Friday night and Voice of A Football McNee announcing that Airdrie had signed Owen Coyle from Clydebank for 175k. Absolutely mental. Airdrie were so money in these days and had a team packed with quality attacking players. Their game with St Johnstone a few weeks after signing Coyle is still pretty much the best Scottish league game I've seen.

33 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

We paid £5000 for Syd Puddefoot from West Ham in 1922 which was a world record transfer fee at the time. :)

We are the  only Scottish side to hold the world transfer record. 

Just shows how far Scottish Football has fell, you have to remember these fees were in the 90s. 50K got you a cracking house back then.

I remember Stainrod getting 1.5k a game and fans thinking that's a lot,  nearly 30  years later top Championship players struggle to match that

Yet the price of a ticket has went up but also stayed the same, its been about 5 pints of beer to get into the football for a long while.

12 hours ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Just shows how far Scottish Football has fell, you have to remember these fees were in the 90s. 50K got you a cracking house back then.

I remember Stainrod getting 1.5k a game and fans thinking that's a lot,  nearly 30  years later top Championship players struggle to match that

Yet the price of a ticket has went up but also stayed the same, its been about 5 pints of beer to get into the football for a long while.

You need to start going to the pub along the road.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 22:09, ajwffc said:

We are the  only Scottish side to hold the world transfer record. 

Rubbish world record in 1925

6500 Airdrie got for Hughie Gallacher

He was only 5 ft 5 ins tall and was often on the receiving end of rough treatment. However, because he tended to seek his own retribution, he was often in trouble with the authorities. There was much speculation about a number of English clubs that were out to sign him. The Airdrie fans were incensed and threatened to burn the wooden stand down if he was sold. His last game for the club came on 5 December 1925 in the 2–1 defeat to Morton. In 129 games for Airdrie Gallacher hit 100 goals.[1]

Newcastle United[edit]

Newcastle United's desperation for their new centre-forward meant that they were willing to pay £6,500 to capture him. Gallacher signed on 8 December 1925.[1]

4 minutes ago, BBB1977 said:

Rubbish world record in 1925

6500 Airdrie got for Hughie Gallacher

He was only 5 ft 5 ins tall and was often on the receiving end of rough treatment. However, because he tended to seek his own retribution, he was often in trouble with the authorities. There was much speculation about a number of English clubs that were out to sign him. The Airdrie fans were incensed and threatened to burn the wooden stand down if he was sold. His last game for the club came on 5 December 1925 in the 2–1 defeat to Morton. In 129 games for Airdrie Gallacher hit 100 goals.[1]

Newcastle United[edit]

Newcastle United's desperation for their new centre-forward meant that they were willing to pay £6,500 to capture him. Gallacher signed on 8 December 1925.[1]

Did Newcastle move up the road a few miles FFS :lol:

I miss the early 90s old first division. Crazy to think of the fees and money paid out then but the crowds were much bigger too.

Its a shame that Airdrie's fan base has dwindled so much. They really should be doing better and attract more fans. What happened with them? The ding dong battles with us them and Falkirk were far better than meaningless SPL games.

There was a fair amount of movement between the clubs too, we signed Andy Smith and Gerry Britton from rivals. Players who I remember getting dogs abuse on the terraces.

Big Ivo playing for Falkirk was weird also. 

Definitely my favourite time in supporting the pars, more so than the cup finals.

On 1/27/2018 at 21:57, AGPar said:

They did, aye, think it was a combined 150k for Mcleod and I think McPhee from Dundee United. McLeod was a massive flop and offloaded to Dundee six months later for cash plus Alan Lawrence, who was superb for them for seasons to come.

I was 10 in 1990 and for some reason still remember watching Scotsport on the Friday night and Voice of A Football McNee announcing that Airdrie had signed Owen Coyle from Clydebank for 175k. Absolutely mental. Airdrie were so money in these days and had a team packed with quality attacking players. Their game with St Johnstone a few weeks after signing Coyle is still pretty much the best Scottish league game I've seen.

Especially given we had sold him to Clydebank for about £20,000 not that long before

16 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I miss the early 90s old first division. Crazy to think of the fees and money paid out then but the crowds were much bigger too.

Its a shame that Airdrie's fan base has dwindled so much. They really should be doing better and attract more fans. What happened with them? The ding dong battles with us them and Falkirk were far better than meaningless SPL games.

There was a fair amount of movement between the clubs too, we signed Andy Smith and Gerry Britton from rivals. Players who I remember getting dogs abuse on the terraces.

Big Ivo playing for Falkirk was weird also. 

Definitely my favourite time in supporting the pars, more so than the cup finals.

It was tremendous. From about 88 onwards for about 6 to 10 years Airdrie, DA, ourselves were always going for the title or scrapping to beat the drop. Some great players on show in titanic tussles in front of big crowds. I bet if you repeated the ferocity of the tackles flying in nowadays it would end up 3 a side.

Amazingly im going to have to agree with a Dunfermilne & a Falkirk fan in the same sentence. Throw in St Johnstone & possibly Ayr around that time and was sure the best time for the championship/First division, big crowds, and general pandemonium on and off the pitch. 

Archived