Alloa V Raith

We’re a full-time team in a part-time league, and we’ve won 4 away games in 11. We certainly need another idea or two.
Exactly right. Something is massively up for how we prepare away from home. Either the players aren't up for it or Smith can't prepare them. Either way if it doesn't change we won't be going up.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

The Clacks Gulag.

I'm not terribly au fait with the Soviet rehabilitation procedure, but it seems like it was something that happened after someone had been sent to the gulags  :whistle

Wiki claims he's managed 7 in 16. That doesn't actually sound too bad. Surprised he didn't add more today, as he does like a goal at the Recs  :(

12 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Got one turnstile, you’ve only get one turnstile, got one turnstile, you’ve only got one turnstile.

Sort your life out Alloa.

Surely it shouldn't have been beyond those in charge to have two adult turnstiles open and one for both OAPs and juveniles. Even though they were paying a different price, it's hardly rocket science to distinguish an over 60 from an under 16.

Got to say Vaughan has been wasted in midfield, I would personally drop Buchanan and move Vaughan upfront with Spence. Smith hasn’t used the transfer window wisely IMO , firstly he extends Smiths contract then drops him, secondly he signs Hendry and he’s not kicked a ball for us and I’m sure Barry said in a recent interview I will only sign players better than what we have at the moment or will improve the squad clearly this hasn’t happened. Look at Ayr they have signed Mark Kerr a cracking player at this level along with Steven Bell both I believe would have done a job for us in positions that IMO we are weak in.

Ayr appear to blow teams away yet we huff and puff most weeks with Barry making the same excuses we just lacked quality in the final third, on another day we would take our chances, we didn’t have the luck in front of goal. Maybe  the right reasons are we have no creativity in the middle of the park, players attitude stinks at times thinking they are too good, Inept goalkeeping costing us points on a regular basis, We can’t win away from home

Smith hasn’t used the transfer window wisely IMO , firstly he extends Smiths contract then drops him, secondly he signs Hendry and he’s not kicked a ball for us and I’m sure Barry said in a recent interview I will only sign players better than what we have at the moment or will improve the squad clearly this hasn’t happened. Look at Ayr they have signed Mark Kerr a cracking player at this level along with Steven Bell both I believe would have done a job for us in positions that IMO we are weak in.

I don’t mean to open a can of worms to the no doubt onlooking Ayr fans but I think it’s quite clear they have a bigger budget than we do, based on squad numbers. We have a first team squad of 15 plus Hendry. And regardless of who ‘actually’ spends more money, they appear much happier to take a loss. John Sim won’t spend more - easy to criticise as a fan but if we don’t have it, we don’t have it. He’s well within his rights to tell the manager to play the development squad if he needs to. McKay wouldn’t have come though otherwise.

Agree Smith hasn’t used the window wisely though. Hendry at this stage seems a truly strange signing, and he was our ‘extra’ signing with the other movement essentially being a swap of Zanatta for Furtado. He’ll surely go on to play eventually but January should be about adding extra options, someone who can turn a game from the bench. We’re still launching Court on when we get desperate, and that’s not a criticism of Court who usually plays well when he comes on. Graeme Smith I can understand keeping as it’d be our luck that Lennox gets injured again and we have to bring in another goalie anyway.

Got to say Vaughan has been wasted in midfield, I would personally drop Buchanan and move Vaughan upfront with Spence. Smith hasn’t used the transfer window wisely IMO , firstly he extends Smiths contract then drops him, secondly he signs Hendry and he’s not kicked a ball for us and I’m sure Barry said in a recent interview I will only sign players better than what we have at the moment or will improve the squad clearly this hasn’t happened. Look at Ayr they have signed Mark Kerr a cracking player at this level along with Steven Bell both I believe would have done a job for us in positions that IMO we are weak in. Ayr appear to blow teams away yet we huff and puff most weeks with Barry making the same excuses we just lacked quality in the final third, on another day we would take our chances, we didn’t have the luck in front of goal. Maybe  the right reasons are we have no creativity in the middle of the park, players attitude stinks at times thinking they are too good, Inept goalkeeping costing us points on a regular basis, We can’t win away from home

I never listen to his interviews as he seems a bit dull, but if he’s coming out with that shite about luck then he’s deluded. We don’t really have a style. It all seems a bit pot luck and that’s down to him as manager.

The only reason he’s not under real pressure from the fans is due to our excellent home form. Even at home we’re not great to watch and there’s no discernible style, but the results are excellent. Our away form is not the stuff of league champions.

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/scottish-league-one/form-guide/away/eight

What is happening with Vaughan? The goals have pretty much dried up. Goal machine earlier in the season to the current midfield plodder. That’s not working and he’s probably our best player. Find a way to make him a more effective part of the team and get him scoring again.

I’m away to look out my torch and pitchfork. Got to be prepared.

18 minutes ago, Paco said:

I don’t mean to open a can of worms to the no doubt onlooking Ayr fans but I think it’s quite clear they have a bigger budget than we do, based on squad numbers. We have a first team squad of 15 plus Hendry. And regardless of who ‘actually’ spends more money, they appear much happier to take a loss. John Sim won’t spend more - easy to criticise as a fan but if we don’t have it, we don’t have it. He’s well within his rights to tell the manager to play the development squad if he needs to. McKay wouldn’t have come though otherwise.

Agree Smith hasn’t used the window wisely though. Hendry at this stage seems a truly strange signing, and he was our ‘extra’ signing with the other movement essentially being a swap of Zanatta for Furtado. He’ll surely go on to play eventually but January should be about adding extra options, someone who can turn a game from the bench. We’re still launching Court on when we get desperate, and that’s not a criticism of Court who usually plays well when he comes on. Graeme Smith I can understand keeping as it’d be our luck that Lennox gets injured again and we have to bring in another goalie anyway.

Would agree with your budget viewpoint but not sure exactly where it stands. Earlier in the season it was a hunch however this transfer window our board have got behind the manager when not much was expected. Not sure if it was necessary due to  injuries that could have ended our season  or whether the Rangers cup draw was lucky. Maybe last seasons relegation has caught up with Rovers and you just need a steady year to balance the books.  Your board may have went all in looking at the promotion play offs and got caught when the opposite happened. Still a few days left so maybe some late activity yet. 

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Would agree with your budget viewpoint but not sure exactly where it stands. Earlier in the season it was a hunch however this transfer window our board have got behind the manager when not much was expected. Not sure if it was necessary due to  injuries that could have ended our season  or whether the Rangers cup draw was lucky. Maybe last seasons relegation has caught up with Rovers and you just need a steady year to balance the books.  Your board may have went all in looking at the promotion play offs and got caught when the opposite happened. Still a few days left so maybe some late activity yet. 

It wasn't going all in with budget that caught up with us, it was making horrendous decision after horrendous decision at all levels.

For the chance right at the end, it wasn't Cawleys height that was the issue, appeared he actually had to lower his head to make contact. If he was able to attack the ball then he scores, but just came at him with too much pace.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. Both teams had chances to win the game. First half was a really decent back and forth contest, second half a bit scrappier. Rovers fairly good at winning back possession high up the pitch, caused us trouble at times.

For us, defence was really disciplined and accomplished- Gary Fleming excellent in particular, but overall we matched up really well in the middle of the park. We were maybe a bit lacking in terms of end product but I thought Ross Stewart put in a great shift. 

Still a wee bit concerning to me that big Renton looks tired regularly just as the hour mark passes. I like the big man, but there's always the option of starting Stewart there, with Cawley playing on the right just as we finished the game yesterday. Be interesting to see what we do when Crossan returns from injury.

Overall, draw was fair and it was a decent performance from us.

Gary Fleming excellent in particular

I thought on the day big Andy Graham just shaded Fleming for MotM, but very little in it; two leaders who know what is required and get on with doing it.

Agree that Stewart up front for Renton is a change worth trying with Kev coming into the starting eleven. Both he and Robbo are very unlucky to be starting on the bench just now.

I've wondered myself if big Renton isn't sometimes more effective coming on in the second half and causing a bit of chaos when the opposition is tiring/has got used to defending on the deck against wee'er players.

For whatever my thoughts are worth  :unsure:

I actually thought we fell out the game a bit yesterday once Renton went off and Ross moved upfront.

Also what's up with the abuse Smith gets from Alloa fans? I really don't get it at all

5 minutes ago, pencils said:

I actually thought we fell out the game a bit yesterday once Renton went off and Ross moved upfront.

Also what's up with the abuse Smith gets from Alloa fans? I really don't get it at all

Thought that was strange too, some of the Alloa fans behind the goal in the first half were almost foaming at the mouth over Smith.

26 minutes ago, pencils said:

I'm not sure, I think Rovers were always going to come on strong in the latter stages. There is an argument of whether you get the most out of Stewart if he's playing back to goal more often. Think he's better driving forward. But still an option none the less.

Apart from the slide down the table after Hartley jumped ship, the main complaint that I can remember about wee Bazza was that he wasn't very demonstrative, or terribly proactive with substitutions. Hardly something worth getting bent out of shape over these days.

Just as well Allan Maitland seems to be done with management these days  :lol:

Archived