Album of 2018

20 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Stumbled across a Spanish band called Hinds and their new album goes straight into number 1 for me. It’s indie pop that reminds me a bit of the pixies.

3 hours ago, Christophe said:

Still on the fence with this lot, but I do like their approach. ‘Tester’ is well good. Rest of the record I’ll need a few more listens to I think 

Saw them in Austin.  Their new album is a lot more catchy than their first, and they obvious have a bundle of fun on stage.   Wasn't necessarily blown away, but yeah, pretty cool.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Cut Worms album is not quite doing it for me, which is a shame because they (he?) was just great live.

I really enjoyed it on first listen. He is far better live and the EP is much better, though.

This utterly splendid year of new music continues with The Traveller's debut release.  Jonny Fritz, Cory Chisel and Robert Ellis combine for a bunch of Americana/Country/Glam inspired singalongs.  Much better than I made it sound.  

Nothing is going to top Goat Girl for me, but this is a top fiver no question.

Bought 'Lost and Found' by Paris band En Attendant Ana after hearing one of their tracks on BBC6 Music. Very likely to be in my top 10 this year but need a few more listens to be sure. Worth a listen on Spotify at least.

Been an excellent year already for new music - very good albums from, among others, Ezra Furman, Sunflower Bean, Car Seat Headrest, Anna Burch, Lucy Dacus, most recently Beach House, and I'm rather fond of Superorganism though I also understand why some people might totally hate them. 

But two of the ones I've most been looking forward to come out this coming Friday - Courtney Barnett and Parquet Courts.

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

Courtney Barnett has released a few pearlers that won’t be on the album.

I tried so hard to get into that last record.  Didn't stick at all.  The two songs I've heard from the new one are excellent.  I think it's because she sings, rather than talk/sings.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I tried so hard to get into that last record.  Didn't stick at all.  The two songs I've heard from the new one are excellent.  I think it's because she sings, rather than talk/sings.

I'm the exact same. Really like her and the way she comes across in interviews etc, so gave the record a lot of time but could not get into it. Singles released so far from the new record are fantastic though, particularly Nameless, Faceless.

On 14/05/2018 at 21:55, GrahamJags said:

I'm the exact same. Really like her and the way she comes across in interviews etc, so gave the record a lot of time but could not get into it. Singles released so far from the new record are fantastic though, particularly Nameless, Faceless.

I don't think that her full length debut was as strong as the EPs she released, but it's still a decent album. 

Picking up the new one tomorrow, along with an unexpected re-pressing of Breeders' 'Last Splash'.

Really want to pick up the Jess Williamson album at some point. New Milk Carton Kids to look forward to in the near future. Then there's Neko Case and Lindi Ortega. Next couple of months is going to be expensive.

Archived