Album of 2018

11 hours ago, ListerRRFC said:

Not really listened to many new albums yet this year. My list so far probably looks something like this:

1. The Xcerts - Hold On To Your Heart

2. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers

3. Moby - Everything Was Beautiful, and Nothing Hurt

4. Ducking Punches - Alamort

That Ducking Punches album is superb stuff.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure we've had any absolute stand outs yet. That might change when my latest order is delivered. I'm really looking forward to Alela Diane's new one. The Orielles should also be decent. Anna Burch is impressing from what I've heard of her. I'm expecting good things from Courtney Marie Andrews. The new Decemberists and Neko Case albums should be very good. I think we'll get a Drive By Truckers album at some point this year as they have some new songs already out there. Will also need to pick up the Martha Ffion album - I know it won't be a world beater but her EP is just typical Glasgow twee indie pop that stands up with peak Belle and Sebastian or Camera Obscura.

Major disappointment so far is I'm With Her. Individually I absolutely love Aoife O'Donovan, Sarah Jarosz and Sara Watkins. I've seen them live twice and I've got a ticket to see them in Gateshead in May. I thought their Celtic Connections show this year was way too short, as good as they were for the 45 or 50 minutes they were on stage. I just don't think the album holds up to the standard of the singles they've released so far. They released covers of Crossing Muddy Waters and Walking Back to Georgia and both are exceptional. The album just doesnt hit those heights for me. The musical arrangements are a little thin - not so much stripped back as really watered down. I just don't think the album sounds finished - it sounds like a collection of demos that still have some major instrumentation to be added.

Not even a quarter of the way through the year right enough, but so far I doubt I've heard my top 3 of the year yet.

Having now listened to the albums I got during the week, I know that The Orielles, Anna Burch and Alela Diane will be placed very highly on my end of year best of list.

Alela Diane in particular. Her voice is fantastic and as a musician and musical arranger she is really accomplished.

Loving the new Yo La Tengo album (apart from the artwork, blandest cover ever).  I think I prefer when they rock out a little more, but the new one is quite lovely anyway. Much more laid back than the last few.

17B05B1C-BBEF-46F4-AE47-C18AE35FF1C6.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loving the new S/T album by Bat Fangs, the side project by Ex Hex bassist Betsy Wright. Turns out she can really shred lead guitar.

80s hair and power chord homage, mostly, but with a sense of humour.

Edit: Stella Donnelly’s EP Thrush Metal is incredible. I assume she’ll have an album out this year. It’ll be wonderful.

Kacey Musgraves is getting praise left, right and centre from all sorts of places.  Pitchfork, Bob Harris, 6Music and so forth have been effusive in their acclamation of her new record, Golden Hour.  So I gave it a shot.  Insufferable twaddle about concrete and flowers.  Do yourself a favour and look up Jade Jackson's record from last year, which is the same but much, much better.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Kacey Musgraves is getting praise left, right and centre from all sorts of places.  Pitchfork, Bob Harris, 6Music and so forth have been effusive in their acclamation of her new record, Golden Hour.  So I gave it a shot.  Insufferable twaddle about concrete and flowers.  Do yourself a favour and look up Jade Jackson's record from last year, which is the same but much, much better.

I'm really not getting all the praise for it. Couple of good tracks, but very hit and miss on the whole. A lot is being said about how she took LSD and her material is now "psych-country", but there's not a lot that I can tell is different sonically between this and her last record. It's certainly not anywhere near something like Sturgill Simpson who is someone I would classify as making psych-inspired country music.

1 hour ago, GrahamJags said:

I'm really not getting all the praise for it. Couple of good tracks, but very hit and miss on the whole. A lot is being said about how she took LSD and her material is now "psych-country", but there's not a lot that I can tell is different sonically between this and her last record. It's certainly not anywhere near something like Sturgill Simpson who is someone I would classify as making psych-inspired country music.

I've never heard a record that sounds less affected by LSD.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's her marketing people.

59 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I've never heard a record that sounds less affected by LSD.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's her marketing people.

You know, you might be on to something there...

Going to project a little and say the self titled debut by Goat Girl is going to be my album of the year. One of the most exciting first albums I’ve heard in years. They’re terrific live, too. And named after a Bill Hicks thing.

Wasn't overly taken by the Anna Burch album, the Nap Eyes record, or Sudan Archives EP.

Kyle Craft and Amen Dunes should both be terrific, but I haven't moved past Stella Donnelly or Sunflower Bean yet.

On 20/03/2018 at 16:49, Christophe said:

Loving the new Yo La Tengo album (apart from the artwork, blandest cover ever).  I think I prefer when they rock out a little more, but the new one is quite lovely anyway. Much more laid back than the last few.

17B05B1C-BBEF-46F4-AE47-C18AE35FF1C6.jpeg

Agreed. First listen left me thinking - ok I suppose.

But gets you the more you play it.

Also bought the new Eels one this week. There is some fantastic stuff on that.

9 hours ago, Klanky said:

Agreed. First listen left me thinking - ok I suppose.

But gets you the more you play it.

Also bought the new Eels one this week. There is some fantastic stuff on that.

My real issue with it, I think, is that it's over an hour long, which makes "the more you play it" more of a challenge than it should be.

17 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Stumbled across a Spanish band called Hinds and their new album goes straight into number 1 for me. It’s indie pop that reminds me a bit of the pixies.

Still on the fence with this lot, but I do like their approach. ‘Tester’ is well good. Rest of the record I’ll need a few more listens to I think 

Archived