Album of 2018

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/9/2018 at 08:58, ShaggysBeard said:

I've been enjoying Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Who Built The Moon. Bit different to what you would normally expect.

I know it was late 2017 and not 2018. 

Some people seem to be absolutely hating that record.  It's not as good as the first High Flying Birds record but it's better than Chasing Yesterday.  I like the way he seems to have taken the music down a more psychedelic route as well, but I suppose some people won't be happy unless it's the more traditional Oasis sound.

15 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Some people seem to be absolutely hating that record.  It's not as good as the first High Flying Birds record but it's better than Chasing Yesterday.  I like the way he seems to have taken the music down a more psychedelic route as well, but I suppose some people won't be happy unless it's the more traditional Oasis sound.

Yes.  As Liam trots out the same three chord twaddle, at least Noel has tried to do something different.  I think I like Holy Mountain more than any song he's ever written.   And the scissors thing is pretty funny.

35 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Yes.  As Liam trots out the same three chord twaddle, at least Noel has tried to do something different.  I think I like Holy Mountain more than any song he's ever written.   And the scissors thing is pretty funny.

I don't think Who Built The Moon? is a classic by any means but it's hardly rubbish.  Liam Gallagher's album is alright but I thought the constant Beatles references got very tired very quickly.

I’ll need to give the latest Car Seat Headrest one a go but I’m sure there is some older songs in that album as well as new stuff.

It’s a re-release of an earlier release. His attitude to albums, and songs in general, is one of constant revision. It’s quite refreshing, I think. Haven’t heard the new record, but as you say I’ll bet I’ve heard much of it before.

Currently playing Brian Fallon’s new album. It’s the same old stuff, with “borrowed” lyrics in almost every song, and as subtle as a punch in the face, but it’s a good drinking album, I think. He’s thrown mandolins into the well rehearsed sound, but it could really pass for one of his band’s records, unlike his previous record.

On a side note, It always amazes me when bands release badly mixed albums. The bass in Proof of Life drowns out everything else, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to list the ones I think have stood out from now on.

Beach House - 7
Brandi Carlile - By the Way, I Forgive You
Dashboard Confessional - Crooked Shadows
David Byrne - American Utopia
Ducking Punches - Alamot
Embrace - Love Is a basic Need
IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance
Mating Ritual - Light Myself on Fire
Nervus - Everything Dies
Spiritualized - And Nothing Hurt
The Dangerous Summer - The Dangerous Summer
Tiny Moving Parts - Swell

Currently playing Brian Fallon’s new album. It’s the same old stuff, with “borrowed” lyrics in almost every song, and as subtle as a punch in the face, but it’s a good drinking album, I think. He’s thrown mandolins into the well rehearsed sound, but it could really pass for one of his band’s records, unlike his previous record.

On a side note, It always amazes me when bands release badly mixed albums. The bass in Proof of Life drowns out everything else, for example.

I think your speakers are fucked because I can hear the mandolin in Proof Of Life clear as day!

Got to a point where I've listened to more than 10 great records this year so far, so the current top 10 is:

1. Hookworms - Microshift

2. Harrison Whitford - Afraid Of Everything

3. Lucy Dacus - Historian

4. Ezra Furman - Transangelic Exodus

5. HOLY - All These Worlds Are Yours

6. The Orielles - Silver Dollar Moment

7. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers

8. Lylo - Post Era

9. Moby - Everything Was Beautiful, and Nothing Was Hurt

10. The Shins - The Worm's Heart

Honorable mentions for Anna Sweeney (of being-from-Killie fame) who has released a fantastic pop record, and Marlon Williams. Enjoying the Justin Timberlake record as well, surprisingly.

Biggest disappointments so far have been Franz Ferdinand, Public Access TV and Brandi Carlile. Not bad records, as such, but didn't live up to the promise that the singles showed.

Not really listened to many new albums yet this year. My list so far probably looks something like this:

1. The Xcerts - Hold On To Your Heart

2. Brian Fallon - Sleepwalkers

3. Moby - Everything Was Beautiful, and Nothing Hurt

4. Ducking Punches - Alamort

Archived