Album of 2018

Anyone heard any decent albums yet this year?

I've listened to Songs of Praise by Shame which was pretty decent. The other one I've heard is Hold on to Your Heart by The Xcerts. It's got a bit of an 80s rock feel to it.

Looking forward to Editors releasing their new album later in the year.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not been many good releases so far but bit more promising this weekend with First Aid Kit, Tune-Yards, Shopping, The Go Team, Porches, They Might Be Giants, Starcrawler, Xylouris White and The Shins all dropping. Will be working through those this week.

On 21/01/2018 at 00:44, Christophe said:

Not been many good releases so far but bit more promising this weekend with First Aid Kit, Tune-Yards, Shopping, The Go Team, Porches, They Might Be Giants, Starcrawler, Xylouris White and The Shins all dropping. Will be working through those this week.

The First Aid Kit (God, what a dreadful name that is - it's even lousy to type...) album is lovely in places but it's not quite doing it for me.  They really are fabulous live, though, and I think the songs will work better live anyway.  But maybe it's a grower.  It's the only new album I've got so far this year.  

Liked the “new” Shins record, which is pretty much just alternate versions of Heartworms. The new To Kill A King record is good as well. Thought the First Aid Kit was largely pretty bland, and I listened to Shame to see what all the fuss was about. Hated it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2018 at 20:58, geddyalexneil said:

A tad early to make a decision on album of the year, however up to now the best 2 I have heard are the new Orphaned Land and the blues one (his first I think) by Rick Springfield. Both are setting the bar high.

orphaned-land-unsung-prophets-and-dead-messiahs-cd.jpg

That is an album I need to give a good listen too.

I doubt they'll ever make an album as good as Mabool though, that is an absolute masterpiece.

Great album shout NorthernLights.

Up to now my favourite albums by them have been Mabool and Never Ending Way!

However this one could replace them given time. I do think I will keep returning to this new one and getting as much out of them as I do the previous 2 I have mentioned.

The track with Steve Hackett is simply immense!

Look forward to reading your views once you have fully checked it out! 

The new Low Anthem is streaming on NPR.  Sounds like an album of very one paced, strangely choppy remixes - imagine Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah! on their second record covering Simon and Garfunkel.  Bored the hell out of me on first play, bar a couple of very pretty moments.  Oh My God, Charlie Darwin is by a mile their best album.  Crying shame/10.

Yet... I'm not abandoning ship on this one.  It might be hard work though.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

The new Low Anthem is streaming on NPR.  Sounds like an album of very one paced, strangely choppy remixes - imagine Clap Your Hands, Say Yeah! on their second record covering Simon and Garfunkel.  Bored the hell out of me on first play, bar a couple of very pretty moments.  Oh My God, Charlie Darwin is by a mile their best album.  Crying shame/10.

Yet... I'm not abandoning ship on this one.  It might be hard work though.

Very disappointing to hear that. Was waiting for it to come out before I listened. The last record was pretty abysmal with one or two great tracks. They were shockingly bad live on that tour as well (I left early the two shows I went to). A shame, as their first two records are phenomenal.

Franz Ferdinand's new one is very disappointing on first listen. Having heard the new stuff live previously, I was excited for this, but it's very boring, aside from the singles that have been released so far. 

The new Ezra Furman is fantastic though, and is an early contender for my album of the year, as I imagine it'll grow on repeated listens. Really loving the new Hookworms record as well, had never heard any of their stuff before, but was blown away by this. Also really loving Harrison Whitford's record. He tours and plays with Phoebe Bridgers, which is the only reason I'd heard of him, but his record is beautiful, in a similar vein to his tourmate.

Archived