Bo'ness history - Help required

Jambo'ness

19 minutes ago, Dead said:

Given there is going to be a rather lot of new seniors in the East very shortly I have been looking into games East Stirlingshire have played against each new team in case Shire draw them in a Cup game or in future we are in the same League - for our programme and website.

Jambo'ness, regards to Bo'ness United v Shire games I have only been able to trace down two friendly matches. Are you able to confirm if this these are the only games played between the teams and also do you know the exact date of the 1st game ? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

1) ?/9/1968 - Played at Firs Park  ft 2-1 to Shire (ht score ?)

2) 3/1/1970 - Played at Firs Park ft 3-2 to BU (ht score 1-0 to Shire)

Hang on, is there some sort of Lowland League/Juniors restructuring planned?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, No idea. I just like to be ahead of the game, especially in these fluid times. 

Love that Jambo'ness has done all this research and looking forward to seeing it on the BU website or even in print one day.

6 hours ago, Dead said:

Given there is going to be a rather lot of new seniors in the East very shortly I have been looking into games East Stirlingshire have played against each new team in case Shire draw them in a Cup game or in future we are in the same League - for our programme and website.

Jambo'ness, regards to Bo'ness United v Shire games I have only been able to trace down two friendly matches. Are you able to confirm if this these are the only games played between the teams and also do you know the exact date of the 1st game ? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

1) ?/9/1968 - Played at Firs Park  ft 2-1 to Shire (ht score ?)

2) 3/1/1970 - Played at Firs Park ft 3-2 to BU (ht score 1-0 to Shire)

I've only got sketchy details of friendlies, as paper does not often report on them but I have unearthed some extra ones for you.

Firstly the two you had, the first as being 24/9/1968 but I have the score as 1-0 to Shire.  The second one was played on 13/1/1970 not 3/1 as that was Junior Cup day.  I only have the BU scorers as Wodecki (pen), Bernard & Leitch.

Now for the others.  The first one I can find is on 25/10/1961, played at Firs Park, resulting in a 3-2 win for the Shire.  Sneddon & Batchelor scored for the BU's.

Next up was in June 1967 and was a closed doors match, ending 2-2.  I have no other details.  A similar affair in June 1983, this time resulting in a 2-0 win for the Shire.

Finally, on 17/9/1984, at Firs Park, the Shire won 3-1.  I've no other details on this.

You are a star! I will re-check my stuff over the wknd and let you know if I find anything else.

If you ever need any details from the old bo'ness v Shire games pre ww2  I am sure I have all the records. Just let me know

2 minutes ago, Dead said:

You are a star! I will re-check my stuff over the wknd and let you know if I find anything else.

If you ever need any details from the old bo'ness v Shire games pre ww2  I am sure I have all the records. Just let me know

That may be my next project, just don't tell the wife ;)

That may be my next project, just don't tell the wife [emoji6]

Just out of curiosity, what resources have you used for all this Jambo? You been at the Journal Office and the Library?

I’ve only ever looked online, but it would seem that ordering a kilo of cocaine and a semi-automatic rifle was a lot simpler than finding much BU history.

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Just out of curiosity, what resources have you used for all this Jambo? You been at the Journal Office and the Library?

I’ve only ever looked online, but it would seem that ordering a kilo of cocaine and a semi-automatic rifle was a lot simpler than finding much BU history.

I have access to a newspaper archive, which was okay for years  up to 1952.  After that, many hours spent at Falkirk library (because the machine at Bo'ness is broken), mostly on Saturdays prior to home games.  A few fellow fans have also assisted greatly.  Now reached the stage of trying to confirm line-ups and player info.  About 85% there I'd say.

49 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

I have access to a newspaper archive, which was okay for years  up to 1952.  After that, many hours spent at Falkirk library (because the machine at Bo'ness is broken), mostly on Saturdays prior to home games.  A few fellow fans have also assisted greatly.  Now reached the stage of trying to confirm line-ups and player info.  About 85% there I'd say.

The history library in linlithgow is absolutely invaluable when researching our clubs. Every single Gazette and Courier are on microfiche.  It's fantastic what you can find away from the sports pages.

Papers in the history library  from  roughly 1892-97 have  no mention of a Linlithgow Rose, its almost as if they didnt exist some years. Brian MCColls database of Scottish clubs states this "Although 1889 has been given as the foundation date this may be the result of a misprint, with the first press reports of the club appearing from March 1898. Closed down between 1939 & 1949. Nickname 'Rosie Posie'"
Linlithgow Athletic were the main club in the town at the time and were senior from 1888-1896

‘Linlithgow history - Help required’ thread for this pish! [emoji4]

52 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Papers in the history library  from  roughly 1892-97 have  no mention of a Linlithgow Rose, its almost as if they didnt exist some years. Brian MCColls database of Scottish clubs states this "Although 1889 has been given as the foundation date this may be the result of a misprint, with the first press reports of the club appearing from March 1898. Closed down between 1939 & 1949. Nickname 'Rosie Posie'"

Linlithgow Athletic were the main club in the town at the time and were senior from 1888-1896

I trawled the old papers for Rose references and I noted a match in 17 April 1897 between Our Boys (Linlithgow) and The Rose (Linlithgow) but the first one to mention Linlithgow Rose as such is indeed 15 Jan 1898.  I suspect that any claim for a foundation date before that is based on the fact that was a Linlithgow Athletic pre-existing and the assumption that this might have become Linlithgow Rose.  However, Linlithgow Athletic still existed after the Rose started being reported on.  

Where this is relevant to a Bo'ness United thread is that I'd like to know when you think Bo'ness United started as I believe that the pre-war Bo'ness senior team is a separate entity.  Am I right?  Sometimes determining whether a team is the same as a previous one playing in the same ground with the same colours is controversial.  See Airdrie(onians) and Rangers as examples.

All credit to you for the project, by the way.

5 minutes ago, th1stleandr0se said:

I trawled the old papers for Rose references and I noted a match in 17 April 1897 between Our Boys (Linlithgow) and The Rose (Linlithgow) but the first one to mention Linlithgow Rose as such is indeed 15 Jan 1898.  I suspect that any claim for a foundation date before that is based on the fact that was a Linlithgow Athletic pre-existing and the assumption that this might have become Linlithgow Rose.  However, Linlithgow Athletic still existed after the Rose started being reported on.  

Where this is relevant to a Bo'ness United thread is that I'd like to know when you think Bo'ness United started as I believe that the pre-war Bo'ness senior team is a separate entity.  Am I right?  Sometimes determining whether a team is the same as a previous one playing in the same ground with the same colours is controversial.  See Airdrie(onians) and Rangers as examples.

All credit to you for the project, by the way.

It's clearly defined that Bo'ness United, as it is today, were formed in 1945.  This was after Bo'ness FC had applied to the Central League but had been turned down in July 1945.  A supporters meeting unanimously decided to abandon all proposals to reconstitute the senior club and so Bo'ness United were formed

1 minute ago, Jambo'ness said:

It's clearly defined that Bo'ness United, as it is today, were formed in 1945.  This was after Bo'ness FC had applied to the Central League but had been turned down in July 1945.  A supporters meeting unanimously decided to abandon all proposals to reconstitute the senior club and so Bo'ness United were formed

Thanks for that.  

12 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

Was Bo'ness United an amalgamation of Bo'ness FC and Bo'ness Cadora who were an East Junior team who won the league in the 1930s?

• 5 months later...

Well, that is the research done, or as much as can be when you have a full-time job.

Every season from 1945/6 onwards now have full available results, scorers and line-ups.  Although there are still quite a few scorers and a lot of line-ups never mentioned in the paper.

I acknowledge all the help I've received both on here and from other individuals.

The next plan was to get this on a web-site  but the club's present one wouldn't have the capacity.  If anyone out there has a valid suggestion on how I can get this info out, I'm eager to listen.

In the meantime, if anyone is looking for any info on games versus their club, just ask.

Archived