Bo'ness history - Help required

Jambo'ness

Personally when I read about a club's history I'm more interested in reading about it's players, managers etc, interesting stories, cup runs, league wins etc. Too many Junior Club history books are half filled with results from nineteen canteen. Who gives a f**k if ye beat a team 4-0 on new years day 1933. Its irrelevant. Pages and pages of these books are wasted with this type of useless information. Fans want to read humorous anecdotes and look at interesting photography, not lines and lines and page after page of results. Boring. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, It's a stramash said:

Personally when I read about a club's history I'm more interested in reading about it's players, managers etc, interesting stories, cup runs, league wins etc. Too many Junior Club history books are half filled with results from nineteen canteen. Who gives a f**k if ye beat a team 4-0 on new years day 1933. Its irrelevant. Pages and pages of these books are wasted with this type of useless information. Fans want to read humorous anecdotes and look at interesting photography, not lines and lines and page after page of results. Boring. 

So boring you commented on it? :blink:  

23 minutes ago, It's a stramash said:

:blink:

tumblr_om7auhlf851tjydheo1_500.gif

53 minutes ago, Blue White Dynamite said:

Where do you guys collect your information from? I've tried looking up old Penicuik Athletic results & reports etc and it's always been a nightmare.

I've been relatively lucky in that the local newspaper was pretty comprehensive in their coverage, especially up to the 70's.  So plenty library visits have unearthed what's needed.

Maybe the main Edinburgh library would  have historic 'Pink News' available?

58 minutes ago, Blue White Dynamite said:

Where do you guys collect your information from? I've tried looking up old Penicuik Athletic results & reports etc and it's always been a nightmare.

2 minutes ago, Jambo'ness said:

I've been relatively lucky in that the local newspaper was pretty comprehensive in their coverage, especially up to the 70's.  So plenty library visits have unearthed what's needed.

Maybe the main Edinburgh library would  have historic 'Pink News' available?

The National Library on George V Bridge is the best for the old newspapers. The main bonus is that you can get the local papers from all areas of Scotland there. I haven't been there for yonks but you had to get a readers card.

The Pink is a hit and miss in some of the Evening News volumes some years have them but other years don't.

For the Penicuik fan there was really good coverage in the News on the build up to your Scottish Cup win  in 1970.

2 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Looking for some info from the early 70's now.

70/71 and it's player info.  Forenames are required for the following players: McGlynn & Sullivan.  The latter also played the following season.  Any info on previous and future clubs would be great too.

Selfishly, back to the BU stuff.  All I know about Sullivan was that he was a centre-half.  McGlynn looked to be a midfielder.

For 71/2 there is a player with the surname Russell I know little about, apart from him playing in an R L Rae Cup Final defeat to Arniston, as a right-back.  Again, any info would be much appreciated.

8 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Jamboness, what's the chances of there being a chapter on the BU leg end Joe Prince-Wright ?

Here you go:  Joe Prince-Wright appeared and was swiftly substituted during the amazing 3-2 comeback win over Kirkintilloch Rob Roy in 2012/13. :P

4 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

Here you go:  Joe Prince-Wright appeared and was swiftly substituted during the amazing 3-2 comeback win over Kirkintilloch Rob Roy in 2012/13. :P

Must have the shortest career ever in junior football. All over in minutes.

17 hours ago, It's a stramash said:

Your entitled to your opinion, but I know with certainty that a very significant number of the people who do buy the books are very interested in that sort of information. It helps to fill gaps in other clubs historical records and is of interest to many ex-players. Only very recently I had an enquiry from another poster on here who was looking for information regarding a friend who had played in a cup final in 1960. I was able to give him full details of the game including teams and scorers for which his  friend was extremely gratefull. If you don't like that sort of stuff the stick to the Beano.

• 1 month later...

Making great headway with research now, with thanks to those on  here who have assisted.

I make it that Bo'ness have played 3,230 competitive matches since formation and I am pleased to say I am only missing scores for eleven of them!

46/7 - Stoneyburn (away) League

53/4 - West Calder (home) League

65/6 - West Calder (away) League

68/9 - Linlithgow (away) RL Rae Cup 3rd round replay (21/5)

72/3 - Sauchie (away) League (23/8)

79/80 - Dalkeith (home) Brown Cup 1st round replay (16/2)

79/80 - Fauldhouse (neutral) Brown Cup Final (4/6)

79/80 - Fauldhouse (neutral) Brown Cup Final 1st replay

86/7 - Fauldhouse (home) League (8/4)

87/8 - Sauchie (home) League Cup (12/8)

88/9 - Fauldhouse (away)

If anyone can assist I would be most grateful.

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

Making great headway with research now, with thanks to those on  here who have assisted.

I make it that Bo'ness have played 3,230 competitive matches since formation and I am pleased to say I am only missing scores for eleven of them!

79/80 - Dalkeith (home) Brown Cup 1st round replay (16/2)

79/80 - Fauldhouse (neutral) Brown Cup Final (4/6)

79/80 - Fauldhouse (neutral) Brown Cup Final 1st replay

86/7 - Fauldhouse (home) League (8/4)

87/8 - Sauchie (home) League Cup (12/8)

88/9 - Fauldhouse (away)

I've emailed you with the results from 79/80

1 hour ago, Jambo'ness said:

Thanks to John, a whole six have been swiped off the list, just leaving the above five.

On 11/04/2018 at 22:07, Jambo'ness said:

Selfishly, back to the BU stuff.  All I know about Sullivan was that he was a centre-half.  McGlynn looked to be a midfielder.

For 71/2 there is a player with the surname Russell I know little about, apart from him playing in an R L Rae Cup Final defeat to Arniston, as a right-back.  Again, any info would be much appreciated.

I can help you here. My uncle is Scott Russell. He played for Bo'ness, Bathgate and Grangemouth during the late 60s and 70s. Made a fleeting appearance for the Rose against Camelon as a triallist during our golden year in 1965 after he got off a bus back from the brickwork to find Davie Roy waiting with a pair of boots as we were short of a team. 

He played alongside West Brom legend Ally Robertson when they were lads in Philpstoun. 

PM me and I can put you in touch. 

12 hours ago, HTG said:

I can help you here. My uncle is Scott Russell. He played for Bo'ness, Bathgate and Grangemouth during the late 60s and 70s. Made a fleeting appearance for the Rose against Camelon as a triallist during our golden year in 1965 after he got off a bus back from the brickwork to find Davie Roy waiting with a pair of boots as we were short of a team. 

He played alongside West Brom legend Ally Robertson when they were lads in Philpstoun. 

PM me and I can put you in touch. 

Cheers for that HTG

Given there is going to be a rather lot of new seniors in the East very shortly I have been looking into games East Stirlingshire have played against each new team in case Shire draw them in a Cup game or in future we are in the same League - for our programme and website.

Jambo'ness, regards to Bo'ness United v Shire games I have only been able to trace down two friendly matches. Are you able to confirm if this these are the only games played between the teams and also do you know the exact date of the 1st game ? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

1) ?/9/1968 - Played at Firs Park  ft 2-1 to Shire (ht score ?)

2) 3/1/1970 - Played at Firs Park ft 3-2 to BU (ht score 1-0 to Shire)

Archived