The "Old Photos" thread

Dindeleux

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Fk me that's a good side.  And be attacking too.

Tom Boyd was in it - just as well it was an attacking side as he'd be guaranteed to sell a goal, either through lazy defending or scoring an OG himself.  We'd have to score 2 to have any chance of winning.

28 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The Cutty Sark in Dumbarton:

Image result for old photos of dumbarton scotland

Found this of Dumbarton Castle too:

Image result for old photos of dumbarton scotland

I am slightly doubting that this is Dumbarton Castle because I had no idea there was ever a bridge there.  Did this go all the way across the Clyde to Langbank or something?

26 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Was it not just a pier or somesuch?

25 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It may well have been aye, that photo just makes it look a bit long for a pier.

It's not a bridge, there used to be a long jetty that stretched far enough out to reach the deep water channel of the Clyde. Dumbarton never took off as a cruise ship destination though, for some reason.

At low tide, you can still see remnants of it.

Just now, Boghead ranter said:

It's not a bridge, there used to be a long jetty that stretched far enough out to reach the deep water channel of the Clyde. Dumbarton never took off as a cruise ship destination though, for some reason.

At low tide, you can still see remnants of it.

I had no idea that was there, I've been down there at many a low tide too and never questioned it.  When was it demolished, or was it just left to rot?

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I had no idea that was there, I've been down there at many a low tide too and never questioned it.  When was it demolished, or was it just left to rot?

All I know is that it's well old.  Think it just fell into disrepair and there was no point spending the money to fix it.

Not as old as some, but this one of my favourite bits of Dumbarton folklore.  This old biddy, probably still full of bingolust from the bingo hall just beyond the far background of this picture, decided to take a shortcut home via the pedestrian underpass.

Nice of her to panic half way through, and stop, so that someone could record the event for posterity.

IMG_0918.PNG

Archived