Top 50 Premier Division/SPL/Premiership players 1990-1999 (old firm exception)

To celebrate my teams unbroken quarter of a century run in the top flight I’m going to run a few threads to get the memories and some stories flowing.

It’s very simple* PM me your list of the top 10 players, in your opinion, to have played in the top division during the 90s. 10 points for 1st place, 1 point for 10th place. If you don’t give a number 1/10 I will count it from the top down for your entry.

*however (and this isn’t to have a go at Old Firm fans but I just don’t want this to become a list dominated by guys like Laudrup, Larsson etc as we know they were better than anyone else) any Celtic/Rangers players selected have to have played with another top flight team in Scotland during the period to be eligible.

For example - you couldn’t pick Andreas Thom but you could pick Willie Falconer.

Entries by PM, closing date of 12pm (noon) Monday 22nd January. People will post lists on here of course but I will only count those via PM.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've attempted a relatively broad selection of teams but obviously I saw far more of Hearts during that time so I'm not going to claim this is unbiased

Pasquale Bruno(Hearts)
In Serie A he was "The beast" a technically limited player who could intimidate opponents. In '90s Scotland that made him a really classy ball player who could "look after himself".

Craig Levein(Hearts)
He was absolute class in central defense. He was probably ahead of his time. If he'd kept fit longer then he'd have been at a bigger club than any in Scotland

Alex McLeish (Aberdeen)
Like Levein he was maybe somewhat past his peak by 1990 but his quality is hard to argue with

Paul Lambert (motherwell)
Unlike Levein he did keep fit long enough to end up at  a bigger club than any in Scotland

Jim Bett (Aberdeen)
Even in his dotage at Tynecastle we got fortnightly reminders of how classy he was. Aberdonians are privileged to have seen him regularly in his prompt

John Colquhoun  (Hearts)
Of the two great Hearts wide players of that era , Neil McCann may have a cup winners medal but JC was one of those players who made professional football look like a game instead of a job. He was a key part of the 91-92 side that finished 2nd 

Duncan Shearer(Aberdeen)
We need an out and out striker on this list and while there are other candidates who finished early in the 90-99 window or stated late in it Shearer seems like the strongest candidate

Darren Jackson (Hibs)
As a Steward at Hibs in 1996-97 I watched Darren Jackson keep a truly shite Hibs side in the top flight practically single handedly. As soon as he left they went down

which brings us to

Kjell Olafsson (Dundee United)
Played well in a strong United side, more importantly his strike sealed Hibs  relegation. He's the Jason Cummings of the '90s

Alan Main(Saint Johnstone)
I don't really remember games against saint johnstone but he had a good record, we need a keeperm this takes us to 6 clubs  and besides he's burned himself into my consciousness by making the 2006 cup final far more stressful than it should have been

42 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

1 tom boyd
2 phil o'donnell
3 frank mcavennie
4 paul lambert
5 alan stubbs
6 eoin jess
7 andy goram fecker
8 darren jackson
9 craig brewster
10 jim leighton

Stubbs only played for Celtic in Scotland.

ETA: McAvennie played about ten games outwith Celtic in the 1990s. They must have been some ten games.

48 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

1 tom boyd
2 phil o'donnell
3 frank mcavennie
4 paul lambert
5 alan stubbs
6 eoin jess
7 andy goram fecker
8 darren jackson
9 craig brewster
10 jim leighton

Obviously you will be PM'ing this to me right?

Its not to be a dick - its so I can go and check back at the end to make sure I've not missed anything without going through the thread.

45 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

1. Steve Maclean (10 points)

2. Chris Millar

3. Steven Anderson

4. Alan Mannus

5. Dave Mackay

6. David Wotherspoon

7. Fraser Wright

8. Brian Easton

9. Michael O'Halloran

10. Stevie May

Moron found.

49 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

1. Steve Maclean (10 points)

2. Chris Millar

3. Steven Anderson

4. Alan Mannus

5. Dave Mackay

6. David Wotherspoon

7. Fraser Wright

8. Brian Easton

9. Michael O'Halloran

10. Stevie May

Subs: Croft, Iwelumo, Ghost, Miller, Hasselbaink and Banks.

Add Dunne to the first 11 and that is absolutely Glorious.

This isn't me promoting my own youtube page (because it isn't mine) but there is a Killie fan who runs the youtube channel KillieFC TV and he posts videos from the corresponding date throughout the years...........you will probably find a video of your team (and others) from the 90s to help jog your memory.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Duncan Shearer(Aberdeen)
We need an out and out striker on this list and while there are other candidates who finished early in the 90-99 window or stated late in it Shearer seems like the strongest candidate

I'd rather have John Robertson. For him not to be in every Hearts fans' list is mental.

Archived