Modern Hall of Famers

2 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Barry Robson was a world class player in a fairly poor side for a number of years. He won plenty of matches almost single-handedly.

Your standards are ridiculously low.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've not had a player stay around long enough in recent years to even be considered. Stephen Grindlay would probably be the best shout I reckon, especially given the fact that he pretty much single-handedly won us the playoffs with one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen.

If he can score a couple of goals to keep us up, I'll fully support Beany's inclusion. Ian Murray (and therefore Jack Ross) would probably deserve a place too for performing a ridiculous escape, and then taking us to the brink of the playoffs. Them aside we could kind of do with a few players sticking around for more than just a season!

St Mirren currently have 37 in their Hall of Fame which covers their entire history. To be invited you have to have been involved in at least 200 games and played a significant part during an important part if the Club's history. Managers can also be entered into the Hall of Fame. Danny Lennon was the last manager with Steven Thompson and Jim Goodwin the last two players to be entered. The next two will surely be Jack Ross and Stephen McGinn although if we keep going the way we are the whole team this season should be inducted for services during 2017.

St Mirren currently have 37 in their Hall of Fame which covers their entire history. To be invited you have to have been involved in at least 200 games and played a significant part during an important part if the Club's history. Managers can also be entered into the Hall of Fame. Danny Lennon was the last manager with Steven Thompson and Jim Goodwin the last two players to be entered. The next two will surely be Jack Ross and Stephen McGinn although if we keep going the way we are the whole team this season should be inducted for services during 2017.

Hall of Fame to the team that barely survived relegation and perhaps might win a division one that's utterly howling?!

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

We've not had a player stay around long enough in recent years to even be considered. Stephen Grindlay would probably be the best shout I reckon, especially given the fact that he pretty much single-handedly won us the playoffs with one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen.

If he can score a couple of goals to keep us up, I'll fully support Beany's inclusion. Ian Murray (and therefore Jack Ross) would probably deserve a place too for performing a ridiculous escape, and then taking us to the brink of the playoffs. Them aside we could kind of do with a few players sticking around for more than just a season!

Shay and Craig Brittain should both definitely be in there. Beany would need to perform very well in this 6 months to be included I think, he was great for us before but hall of fame material? I'm not sure.  Gordon Lennon perhaps another shout?

If Jim Lister hadn't fucked off to Airdrie and saw out his career with us he could've been a shout. I'm tempted to put him in there just for that 1 season he had to be honest.

Shay and Craig Brittain should both definitely be in there. Beany would need to perform very well in this 6 months to be included I think, he was great for us before but hall of fame material? I'm not sure.  Gordon Lennon perhaps another shout?
If Jim Lister hadn't fucked off to Airdrie and saw out his career with us he could've been a shout. I'm tempted to put him in there just for that 1 season he had to be honest.

Prunty maybe?

7 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Hall of Fame to the team that barely survived relegation and perhaps might win a division one that's utterly howling?!

A team that has only lost one game at home in 2017 and clawed back 21 points between January and May to stay up then went 8 points clear at the top. Some turnaround. And we can't help it if your team is howling.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm going to have to sit and think about what I've done for forgetting about Craig Brittain.

If any striker scores more than five goals between now and May to keep us up then they can have a place, and a key to the town.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Prunty maybe?

Great shout. Promotion hero. Kept us up. Captained us a few times. Scored some ridiculous goals, and is a top guy. Ticking every box really.

17 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Following Arsenal's pathetic capitulation at Bournemouth yesterday, Jamie Redknapp made the assertion that none of the current team would ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame. It got me thinking; how many Dunfermline players in the last 20 years will be seen as club legends?

For the Pars, I think guys like Stevie Crawford, Andy Tod and Andrius Skerla have already been recognised by the club. Of the current crop, Joe Cardle would probably be the only credible shout.

I think football fans are always likely to get misty-eyed and nostalgic about players of the past but we're more critical of modern stars. With that in mind, who from your team over the past two decades would be a realistic HoF contender?

Has Scott Thomson ever been recognised by the club in such a way?

John Potter is probably a credible shout; he'd be up fixing the slate on the roof of the Main Stand if he was asked.

19 hours ago, Fony Titz said:

A lot of our recent players have been inducted mainly due to the Cup win and two League wins as well in the last twenty years.

Of current squad Craig Samson if not already in should be if we win the league this year. Others depending on what happens could potentially be C Smith, Gav Reilly, Jack Ross (depending on how long they stick around). Stephen McGinn is probably a stick on though his mum and dad should be honoury members too.

I've got Jack Ross' top signed by your squad from the Semi Final that year.   Was gutted when the Mrs moved in and made me take all my framed tops down, pride of place up my loft at the moment! :unsure:

As for Modern Hall of fame,  Crunchie, Russell Latapy, Craig Sibbald, Scott Mackenzie, Scott Arfield,  ( what a midfield that would be)     Yogi, Tam Scobbie

Who would be first?

I was more meaning that any sort of Livingston “Hall of Fame” in the next few years could be opened with 25 inductees, given we’ve been in the town for nearly 25 years. I suppose the danger with that is you get guys like Liam Fox sneaking in there purely because he somehow racked up a couple of hundred appearances.

The alternative is we put up a statue of Jason Talbot booting the head off Sam Nicholson and make that do for a few more decades.

1 hour ago, Afro said:

The alternative is we put up a statue of Jason Talbot booting the head off Sam Nicholson and make that do for a few more decades.

Would be well deserved IMO.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I reckon Will Vaulks was a season or two away from cementing himself as a true Falkirk legend. He will always be remembered fondly but what he acheived, having just fallen short in the Cup final maybe wasnt enough. 

Fucking love him though. 

Still time for him to make a triumphant return and spearhead next season's League 1 title challenge.

19 hours ago, Afro said:

What's a reasonable number of inductees once a Hall of Fame is formed initially? Obviously, we don't have one because some posters on this site have had milk in their fridge longer than we've been in West Lothian, but it would be a bit of a riddy if we kicked it off with too few, leaving more for space in the future (don't laugh), or just threw every half decent "hero" to have played with us in a very eventful two decades in. Out of the current squad, Neil Alexander would be a certainty, as would Keaghan Jacobs. Delving into the past, you could be looking at guys like Brian McPhee, Barry Wilson, Marvin Andrews, Rubio, David Fernandez, Burton O'Brien, Roddy MacKenzie, then onto more recent players like Liam Fox (no joke), Iain Russell, Jason Talbot... f**k having to try and whittle that down.

Would be a very decent thing if we were to kick this off in 2020, marking 25 years in the town. A player per year would be more than enough IMO.

I'd add Lee Makel, David Bingham and Stuart Lovell to that list. Would love to see the club do something like this though...could help with the positive image the club are building under Ward

Archived