Modern Hall of Famers

Following Arsenal's pathetic capitulation at Bournemouth yesterday, Jamie Redknapp made the assertion that none of the current team would ever be inducted into the Hall of Fame. It got me thinking; how many Dunfermline players in the last 20 years will be seen as club legends?

For the Pars, I think guys like Stevie Crawford, Andy Tod and Andrius Skerla have already been recognised by the club. Of the current crop, Joe Cardle would probably be the only credible shout.

I think football fans are always likely to get misty-eyed and nostalgic about players of the past but we're more critical of modern stars. With that in mind, who from your team over the past two decades would be a realistic HoF contender?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of our recent players have been inducted mainly due to the Cup win and two League wins as well in the last twenty years.

Of current squad Craig Samson if not already in should be if we win the league this year. Others depending on what happens could potentially be C Smith, Gav Reilly, Jack Ross (depending on how long they stick around). Stephen McGinn is probably a stick on though his mum and dad should be honoury members too.

As the last 17 years have been the best period in years there actually a few candidates including the ones who have already made it.

Actually in a Hall of Fame

Jim Thomson

Derek Lyle

Paul Burns

Andy Thomson

Those that should be in:

Andy Aitken

John O Neill

Sean O’Connor

Members  of the Hall of quite good:

Dan Carmichael

Eric Paton

Chris Higgins

Stephen McKenna

Those who deserve to have every first born child named in his honour:

Stephen Dobbie.

Craig Conway for cup final heroics and being a very good player over a 5 year spell and part of our most successful side in many years.

Barry Robson was a world class player in a fairly poor side for a number of years. He won plenty of matches almost single-handedly.

Stevie Crawford, Craig Brewster, Andrius  Skerla, Andy Tod, Stewart Petrie, Joe Cardle are the ones that spring to mind. All legends to a man.  

Was half tempted to chuck Marco Ruitenbeek in there for being a mad, crazy b*****d of a goalie. Was quality tbf. 

Brian Wake for being the Lord and Saviour; Sir Douglas Imrie for scoring the winner against Celtic on their own horrible midden in 2013; Sir Gavin Gunning for his heroic defensive cameo spell and unsurpassed ability to generate seethe. 

The vast majority of Morton players over the last twenty years are gubbins snakes, who should have their images scrubbed out of historic team photos like Stalin did with Yezhov. 

2 hours ago, Fony Titz said:

A lot of our recent players have been inducted mainly due to the Cup win and two League wins as well in the last twenty years.

Of current squad Craig Samson if not already in should be if we win the league this year. Others depending on what happens could potentially be C Smith, Gav Reilly, Jack Ross (depending on how long they stick around). Stephen McGinn is probably a stick on though his mum and dad should be honoury members too.

BairdyBairdy

3 hours ago, Fony Titz said:

McGinn is so special when listening  to his interview on buddie vision he say's my club - my club - my club , one more time my club shit i'm going for the toilet roll. 

McGinn is so special when listening  to his interview on buddie vision he say's my club - my club - my club , one more time my club shit i'm going for the toilet roll. 
His interviews have been very clever since he came back. Getting the fans onside and pulling our heart strings like a puppet master.

He's like a modern day Fitzy.

4 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Scott Arfield & Michael McGovern surely worth a shout.

Arfield maybe aye, played over 100 top flight games for us after coming up from the academy and has moved onto be a great player down south and should be capped for Scotland. I wouldnt say McGovern deserves it though, great goalie but wouldnt put him in a Falkirk FC Hall of Fame.

What's a reasonable number of inductees once a Hall of Fame is formed initially? Obviously, we don't have one because some posters on this site have had milk in their fridge longer than we've been in West Lothian, but it would be a bit of a riddy if we kicked it off with too few, leaving more for space in the future (don't laugh), or just threw every half decent "hero" to have played with us in a very eventful two decades in. Out of the current squad, Neil Alexander would be a certainty, as would Keaghan Jacobs. Delving into the past, you could be looking at guys like Brian McPhee, Barry Wilson, Marvin Andrews, Rubio, David Fernandez, Burton O'Brien, Roddy MacKenzie, then onto more recent players like Liam Fox (no joke), Iain Russell, Jason Talbot... f**k having to try and whittle that down.

Would be a very decent thing if we were to kick this off in 2020, marking 25 years in the town. A player per year would be more than enough IMO.

Archived