Laptop Startup Problem

What kind of gaming?

If you play a bit of Football Manager, you should be able to pick up something with a 7th generation i5 and 8GB of RAM for under £500. Something like this would be fine. It's got an SSD hard drive as well so that'd make it run a bit faster too.

If you do something more intense than Football Manager, you can pretty much kiss goodbye to being able to do so on a sub-£500 laptop.

If you're into gaming, I wouldn't recommend a Mac. I've got a Macbook Air and I love it, but it pisses me off that a lot of the games I like aren't available for it.

10 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I've sorted the link now. Not bothered about a mac specifically, just thought it'd be good to support a local company like this but only if it's good value. 

Any recommendations for a laptop under £500 for general things like browsing, streaming, word processing? 

It's 7 years old, and you'd have to learn a new operating system if you're used to Windows. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole myself. I've found Sony and HP reliable, if you have a Currys or PC World nearby they'll have a good choice for that price and if you have any trouble they don't quibble about fixing or replacing within the guarantee period. It's good to be able to talk face to face with them rather than over the phone or internet.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's 7 years old, and you'd have to learn a new operating system if you're used to Windows. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole myself. I've found Sony and HP reliable, if you have a Currys or PC World nearby they'll have a good choice for that price and if you have any trouble they don't quibble about fixing or replacing within the guarantee period. It's good to be able to talk face to face with them rather than over the phone.

Didn't think it'd be a good idea. Got couple of Currys Pc world nearby, can go there tomorrow if I have to. 

2 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Didn't think it'd be a good idea. Got couple of Currys Pc world nearby, can go there tomorrow if I have to. 

Lenovo have a good rep too, took over consumer stuff from IBM.

6 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Was looking at a Lenovo Yoga a while back but it hardly had any size of hard drive, well under 100gb iirc. 

Just noticed Sony have stopped making laptops. Here's some with 8 gb memory and 2tb hard drive, or 128 gb if you want an SSD drive. Not sure what the advantage is.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/315_3226_30328_16_1700_ba00002920-bv00307957/299-499_299-499_xx_xx_5-6-7-8-9-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-criteria.html

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just noticed Sony have stopped making laptops. Here's some with 8 gb memory and 2tb hard drive, or 128 gb if you want an SSD drive. Not sure what the advantage is.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/315_3226_30328_16_1700_ba00002920-bv00307957/299-499_299-499_xx_xx_5-6-7-8-9-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-criteria.html

Anything in particular you'd recommend? Saw one with 1tb storage and the one with the most reviews 128gb ssd storage. Don't understand why people would buy something with storage as small as that but there's obviously something good about it. 

4 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Anything in particular you'd recommend? Saw one with 1tb storage and the one with the most reviews 128gb ssd storage. Don't understand why people would buy something with storage as small as that but there's obviously something good about it. 

SSD are much, much faster than your typical HDD so the OS, programmes etc will all load up much quicker although they are typically smaller. If your budget can be stretched a bit more it might be worth getting a laptop with an SSD and a HDD. The SSD can have Windows loaded onto it so the machine starts up quickly but all your files are saved on a "traditional" HDD.

10 minutes ago, RiG said:

SSD are much, much faster than your typical HDD so the OS, programmes etc will all load up much quicker although they are typically smaller. If your budget can be stretched a bit more it might be worth getting a laptop with an SSD and a HDD. The SSD can have Windows loaded onto it so the machine starts up quickly but all your files are saved on a "traditional" HDD.

I don't mind spending a bit extra if it's worthwhile. Do you think I could get something with an SSD and 1tb HDD for close to £500? 

4 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I don't mind spending a bit extra if it's worthwhile. Do you think I could get something with an SSD and 1tb HDD for close to £500? 

Think you're looking at more like £1000. It's easy to get carried away by specs, especially if you won't need it for gaming or high end graphics. You might think about getting an external hard drive if you want to store loads of films and get the SSD model. Or get the 2tb HDD model and be patient for a minute or so while it boots up. If you don't need to store loads of films the 128 gb ssd is plenty storage for most people.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think you're looking at more like £1000. It's easy to get carried away by specs, especially if you won't need it for gaming or high end graphics. You might think about getting an external hard drive if you want to store loads of films and get the SSD model. Or get the 2tb HDD model and be patient for a minute or so while it boots up. If you don't need to store loads of films the 128 gb ssd is plenty storage for most people.

My laptop has been very slow launching lately and I'll never play any games on it so don't mind being patient with a new machine which will still be much faster. I'm close to max with my 500gb drive just now which is mainly music and some boxing/tv/films which I delete as soon as I've seen them so wouldn't like to go below that. 

8 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

My laptop has been very slow launching lately and I'll never play any games on it so don't mind being patient with a new machine which will still be much faster. I'm close to max with my 500gb drive just now which is mainly music and some boxing/tv/films which I delete as soon as I've seen them so wouldn't like to go below that. 

Something like this would probably do you.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-310-15-6-laptop-silver-10168389-pdt.html

P.S. Just noticed it's out of stock, but there will be similar ones for that price.

@BigFatTabbyDave found one here that would probably do you if you want to save a few quid.

On 11/01/2018 at 08:27, BigFatTabbyDave said:

This seems like a decent deal for folk looking for something basic, and who don't care if it comes with Windows already installed. They aren't in 'til the end of the month, but I've got one on order to replace my HP Pavilion X2, as I've finally got sick of fighting for space on the tiny SSD just so Windows can install updates  <_<

It's got a DVD player as well, which is getting to be unusual.

With the sales you might be able to pick up a laptop with a SSD and a HDD for about £800. But it sounds like a new machine with an HDD will do you just fine to be honest. The extra speed from the more modern components will probably make it seem whizz bang enough and it will still load pretty quickly even without a SSD especially given that it sounds like you won't be doing anything too demanding. Put the money saved towards some new sneaks ;) 

2 hours ago, RiG said:

With the sales you might be able to pick up a laptop with a SSD and a HDD for about £800. But it sounds like a new machine with an HDD will do you just fine to be honest. The extra speed from the more modern components will probably make it seem whizz bang enough and it will still load pretty quickly even without a SSD especially given that it sounds like you won't be doing anything too demanding. Put the money saved towards some new sneaks ;) 

With the amount of money I have to pay out this month new trainers might have to be sidelined for a while although that probably won't happen tbh. :)

Just got everything sorted. Turns out the hard drive was fine. We backed up the docs that I should have done already and it's been given a reset along with a few other things. Lost a lot of music but that's easily replaced.

Took close to 2 hours and was only charged £40. Got another tenner to pay on Monday to sort the charging socket, the guy actually shouted out loud when he saw the state of it. 

Thanks again for all the advice itt. 

17 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

I have just tried to turn my old laptop on (6 years old and hasn’t been on for two years) and it’s just not having it.

When they told you to turn it off and on again...

You'll need to give us more information than that. Windows up/down, heating level, etc.

• 5 months later...

Archived