Interrailing

LondonHMFC

Looking to do a bit of Interrailing this year, most likely towards the end of September to avoid Students trying to find themselves. 

Have got a rough plan of action (predominately Eastern Europe) but imagine this will change numerous times. 

Going to use the 10 day within a month pass, and probably spend a fortnight away. Also hoping to do quite a few football matches, so again a factor for change. 

Just wondering if anyone from P&B has done it before? Anything to include or avoid? 

3 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Looking to do a bit of Interrailing this year, most likely towards the end of September to avoid Students trying to find themselves. 

Have got a rough plan of action (predominately Eastern Europe) but imagine this will change numerous times. 

Going to use the 10 day within a month pass, and probably spend a fortnight away. Also hoping to do quite a few football matches, so again a factor for change. 

Just wondering if anyone from P&B has done it before? Anything to include or avoid? 

If you're mainly travelling in Eastern Europe it could be a fair bit cheaper flying out to Poland say, and just buying individual tickets.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If you're mainly travelling in Eastern Europe it could be a fair bit cheaper flying out to Poland say, and just buying individual tickets.

^^^^

This is good advice and in some eastern european countries getting the bus is the better option

34 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I planned my route out and bought tickets in advance and it worked out cheaper. Won't always necessarily be the case but worth checking out before just buying one of the passes.

Edit: Helps if I read the thread first

All responses are appreciated, I will be dictated by fixtures so probably best to buy tickets directly. 

Don't mind doing an occasional bus journey, but nothing ridiculously long. 

36 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

All responses are appreciated, I will be dictated by fixtures so probably best to buy tickets directly. 

Don't mind doing an occasional bus journey, but nothing ridiculously long. 

I'd have a wee look into whether you'd save loads by buying individual tickets in advance or if you could just turn up at the station. It's nice to have a bit of flexibility to stay a bit longer in a place, or change plans. That's one advantage of Interrail.

A lot of the advance tickets in eastern Europe (Prague to Budapest for example) are typically available as a walk-up a day in advance or even on the day. It's not like airline prices for the most part (though minor, private train operators like RegioJet do use that model). An actual Interrail pass is rarely good value for money, but does offer slightly more convenience I guess than booking individual tickets. 

Archived